1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line for first two picks in the draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 22, 2021.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Then qb, rb, cb etc

Specifically look at Rashaan Slater with the 1st pick if available. He can play all over the place probably filling the center role.Next go OT or maybe QB if a player like Mac Jones were to fall.

Based on what I've seen, OT and QB is fairly deep in this draft with an obvious drop-off after the top picks.

I think this could be a good draft for drafting oline as well as another QB.

2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I'm with you on pulling the trigger on the best offensive linemen going to our first two picks. I wouldn't pigeon hole anything after that. I really believe you pick the highest rated on the board and let fate take over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Qb is deep in the draft? Did I read that correctly?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    That's news to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    TE,OL and RB With the first three pics. Not necessarily in that order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Look something to agree with Glenn! We must be living in the last days! LOL JK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

If he thinks that then he is probably counting Kyle Trask as being a first rounder. I saw his Bowl game and he looked like hot garbage to me. I know he was missing his primadonna receivers but it wouldn't have mattered much anyways cause those DB's were all reading him like a favorite comic book.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This team has holes everywhere. Take the BPA.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Najee Harris
    LT
    Center
    :hehehe:

• Like Like x 4
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No. We need a 3 starters Center, TE and RB in the draft. Sign a couple of our free agents namely Alualu and Banner and Sutton. Everything else is depth

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ebron is the likely starter at TE, but they do need to draft a TE, preferably one that can block.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah, but we need someone to replace Ebron that can catch and block.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Why do we have to make anything so difficult. What are our needs?

QB - Maybe. I am a big believer that the FO needs to evaluate every QB in this class....EVERY ONE...do they rate higher or lower out of college than the 2 guys we have. Rudolph and Haskins both have our scout QB rankings. They provide a guide. Don't take someone who doesn't rank higher.

RB - I think we all know we have a need. Don't overpay to take a guy in the first. The best RB we have had in the last 10 years was a 2nd rounder.

WR - I know we lose JuJu probably this offseason. Ok, but I think we still have 2 very good guys left. RayRay is your 4th. There is a role for him.

TE - Ebron is still the starter. I'm not saying there aren't some upgrades, but let's not reach.

OL - I'm not sold on any OT we have or could be back. G is the only position that is set. Let's fix this as the priority.

Defense. If you assume that Alualu is back and Williams doesn't get cut, you don't have any NEEDs on D for starters. You need to replace depth all over the place. I mean ALL over the place. Add into this the option to need to replace Alualu, Williams if he gets cut and Sutton/Hilton depth or Haden as the starter....there are some options for impact players in the first. If you get Micah Parsons or Zaven Collins in the first, your ILB position is basically set for the next 10 years.

This all being said, there are soooo many dominoes to fall prior to the draft. What happens with Ben? Who do we cut? What role players can we get? Who is the 1 big UFA we sign this year? Do we sign one? What teams add players which impact who they want to take?

Let's just be a little patient and lets see where the FO goes.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I was with you on going OL first. But mid round QB? We've already got a couple of those and don't need anymore backup QBs to add to the 4 already here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    4? we have 2 that are only signed for this year and then we have none signed for next year. i don't agree knox that we don't need any in the pipeline. :cool:

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A Tackle won’t fix the run game, it starts from the middle of the line and moves out from there. We need a Center, and if DeCastro is done we need another guard.

I still think we need to be wary of Vince Williams and Alualu skills diminishing. If an elite ILB or NT is sitting there at 24 we should consider it. Maybe even a CB. Haden doesn’t have much longer.

I think we can patchwork a line together, I feel we need an early pick for TE and RB.

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I hope they don't chase a Tackle in the first; hoping they bring in a Free Agent tackle before the draft.

The Center from Texas and the TE from Penn State should both be available when the Steelers go on the clock in the 1st

18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interesting responses. Regarding depth of QB, according to some 'experts' this is a draft that is relatively deep at QB compared to other years.

Specifically one that is in many mock drafts is Mac Jones. It's interesting how people are really all over the place with him. Some think first round 15th pick to up to the third round. I don't think I'd pick him in the 1st.

I think right now is actually opportune time to get some competition in the qb room.. as Haskins is on a thread, dobbs is likely gone. Mason has one year left.

Technically after next year they could have zero qbs on the roster

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ok so maybe a little exaggeration. Dobbs and Duck will always be out there as emergency options and I don't see anyone scooping them up if the aren't signed here. As long as they don't cut Ben or he doesn't retire, Rudolph and Haskins fit the bill for BU's. I don't see the need of wasting another mid round draft pick on a QB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'd go running back in the first round. Etienne > Harris for me. But either or. I'm not saying OL isn't a need, but I'm tired of mid draft backs that dont pan out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    duck was signed by the chargers. If Ben doesn't come back then we need to make a draft pick. We have to have one in the system beyond this year. To get a new offense started, it will be without ben. A guy with a year in the system will be way farther ahead then a rookie next year and starting fresh. Even if we draft one again next year. We can't finish this year without one under contract.:cool:

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree 100%. Never mind whether Ben plays this year or not. Looking at the future, the only reason to draft a QB is with the belief that that guy can challenge or even potentially supplant Rudolph as a starter. Why waste a draft pick on a QB that is a career back up, a project or a camp arm at best? If they are worried about a third stringer/clipboard hanger, they can sign a half dozen of them in the free agency period, or raid someone's practice squad.

All drafts are important, but this one is REALLY important for a team that's in cap hell and about to lose so many UFA's. They need the first two picks to be plug and play. I'd go center, RB, TE or corner, then draft best available afterword.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I watched it too...4 or 5 interceptions...We already have a QB that can do that!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I like Harris better...Idk if Etienne is one of those " every down " backs...Built like Mcfarland!