1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heyward

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Feb 22, 2021.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Havnt seen this posted yet , Cam restrured his contract supposidly its gona save us 7 million this year, the artical says other players plan on doing the same..

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Kicking the can down the road for a year of mediocrity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Half this board be like “Oh my God we’re in Cap Hell”
    See this stuff is easily fixable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Tuitt, Boswell and Derek Watt can also be restructured, Boz and Watt may yet be cut but probably not.

Ben, Decastro, Nelson, Haden, Ebron and a couple of others can be extended to save money too.

They will easily get back under the cap but they are not going to have much money for free agency.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yep. Pouncey and McDonalds retirement along with Heyward’s restructure is like 20 million right there. Cut Ben extend Haden and Nelson and all the sudden we have 20 Million to spend. Sign TJ to a new contract and we could save another 5-7 million.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yep yep... You think they're gonna cut him? I'm on the fence about it.

8. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I think VW is a more likely cut. Maybe he would take a paycut.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yes, but fixing the upcoming year wasn't the hard part. The trick for Colbert and Co. was to do so in a fashion that enables them to retain younger talent while potentially complimenting it as needed with some from outside the organization in a transitional period for the team.

I'm confident they're keeping that in perspective, but am interested to see other moves they make this offseason. It will help shine some light on what Colbert is seeing over the next few seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kind of thought that as well

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Jablowme?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They're taking some cash up front which is the smart thing to do.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It's an addiction.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m hoping he retires

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    From what I’ve been able to gather McDonald & Pouncey cleared around 12mil from the books and Heyward another est.7mil...... That’s 19 mil from a 30 mil overage leaving around 11 mil...... we will need money to sign the draft class, appx 10mil and PS appx 6-7 mil... sign ERFA and RFA and a couple mil to carry during the year for in season business and we’re back near needing to find another 30 mil in relief......

It will get done but at what cost??? Do we lose Ben, AV, Feiler, VW, Connor, Nelson, ??? Who do we keep or resign like Avery Williamson, Mike Hilton, Cam Sutton, Zach Banner, Alualu, Jordan Dangerfield, JuJu, Wormley, and others OR Let walk!!!!!

A lot of hard work left and Hard decisions left!!!! I have not mentioned FA from other teams we may need like a LT or C or RB.....

Cajun

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Remember all of these restructures in a couple years when we can't sign a premier FA or three to build around a young QB because we'll have a boatload of cap space tied up in washed up/retired vets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Paying individuals way past their shelf life and then when they are no longer playing a snap. Que Woodley. I think he still is drawing a check from the Steelers

If they let Ben go or retires (he won't, he wants to do a Brady :lolol:) the cap hit is still 22 million. I hope he goes. I don't care if he goes to another team. Maybe he will go to NE and we can watch SDOT's head do a scanners.

I can see extending Haden for another year and Nelson. And possibly Tuitt.

I was hoping they wouldn't restructure Heyward as he is already signed till 2024.

How crazy is it how cap strapped this team is. If they do this, do that, do this and do that, do this and do that they will be in compliance with the cap. Then what? Just the draft is not going to cut it. Going to need money to just sign the draft class. And find a center!

I'm on the lets start the rebuild, turn the page on Ben and see where the cards fall. i'm not worried about a couple of down years I have lived through many! I can hear the cry baby's now. Change needs to come and some are afraid.

Rebuild the team to be an offensive force again and keep the defense relevant in the process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Totally agree. If anything, sign JuJu and Dupree -- they're young enough to be part of a next gen core. Ben, Haden, Heyward, Decastro, Vince - gone. Eat their cap hits this year, next year you have the most cap space in the league for free agents, and two drafts under your belt.

They can turn this around quickly instead of committing to just being competitive year to year.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When was the last time we signed a big time FA?

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d agree it’s time to rip the band aid off to a degree. Restructuring Heyward was going to be required just to get compliant however. They tried to go all in last year and fell short. This is the fallout.

It’s also nothing compared to the $14m they’ll kick down the road to bring Ben back. He will probably still be on the cap sheet two years after he is retired. The team seems to be divided on it if reports are to be believed

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It makes no sense to extend Haden, he's 32 and has lost a step, Nelson is the better option to extend.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s not the point. The point is that we are not in “Cap Hell” if we don’t want to be.

23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Hey, eyes on your own paper! I've been saying this for months. It's one down year, with a brutal schedule anyway, to turn things around. But, no, we have to extend Mike's string of mediocre seasons as long as possible because Art is stupid.