1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd round pick for Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Feb 19, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm of the opinion they will only be signing castoffs, rejects and practice squad players because their cap situation is such a mess. My take was that if they could and/or did swap a second for Darnold, I'd be neutral about it, neither thrilled nor angry.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Start the rebuild. Trade/cut all 30+ year old guys eating cap, start rebuilding around younger core. Ben, Heyward, Haden, DeCastro, etc. are not part of the next Super Bowl contending team.

Scratching out 7-8 wins accomplishes nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I said before they should go full nuclear detonation. Everyone would be in play for trades. Yes, even TJ, Fitz and Claypool. By the time they are a serious playoff threat, those guys are going to be older, beat up and too expensive to move anyway. Might as well get younger, cheaper and better at the same time if possible. The Steelers won't go that route, though. They'll slog through three or four mediocre seasons hoping they can draft enough good players to be relevant again.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we can't do it all at once. the defense i wouldn't mess with too much but to add to it. dump vince add a LB. add a corner to make up for what we will lose. ben gone. maybe DD trade as i had stated. add a RB in the draft. add a center of course. find a rookie interior guy like olson that can play all 3 spots, later in the draft. slowly add to the offense besides a few critical spots we need now. not a total blow up. :cool:

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This OP is just funny AF. Is every over-rated mid to bottom level backup caliber QB going to be pimped out as the next steelers franchise QB? How many frogs do you think Colbert needs to kiss before he finds his prince? They haven't gotten serious about finding Ben's replacement over the past 5 years and have kicked the can so far down the road, that the can is just a mangled up smashed piece of aluminum. Their QB depth is a bag of D's - deer, dobbs, dwayne and you want to throw another D into that bag - darnold.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    That's not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sam Darnold is Matt Leinart 2.0

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hahaha@ Sam Darnold. Turnover machine in college. Is the same Turnover machine in the NFL. No thanks. I wouldn't give a 3rd round 4 him.
    Maybe a 4th.
    I thought this about him coming out of college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Fair point. And you're probably right. But if the right guy is sitting there, late in the first round, I think we grab him. That doesn't mean he doesn't sit behind a free agency vet on the depth chart his rookie year. And with our history of injury to our OL, he might not be the day one starter, but he could be the starter before the season is over. I guess my thought is that we need to start being a little more proactive and thinking of the future. We can't stop-gap the OL in front of an inexperienced qb while we have a top 10 defense ready to win games for us.

(And I'm sure some will not like my "top 10" label for the defense. That's fine. And I'm sure I'll get a lot of numbers to back up why our defense is much better than that. But I'm not sold on us having a complete defense. I'm just not. And no numbers or rankings will change my mind on that. But I'm not going to try and change anyone else's mind on their opinion of it, either.)

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If you look back at 2010-12 they picked Pouncey, Gilbert and Decastro in the early rounds in successive years and it underpinned the line for nearly a decade. They need to do the same again, hopefully Dotson works out long term and they add at least one if not two more guys in this draft. Maybe Chuks takes a step forward under Klemm and makes LT his own?

I don’t get people saying to blow everything up. They can be out the other side of this in two drafts if they pick well and they will have plenty of money to spend next offseason after all the cap issues work their way through the system. Finding a QB is critical to the whole thing of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Your last sentence and the cap issues are why I think a total rebuild is in order. There are too many variables they can't control by trying to muddle through a partial rebuild. Injuries, FA's that play below standard, missing on a 1 through 3 draft pick. Plus, going 8-8 or 7-9 for three or four years makes it tough to be in the position to draft a franchise QB. I'm not saying it's impossible, but they haven't had to worry about the most important position on the team for 17 years. They still have a solid defense, but it isn't getting any younger, either. Plus, this team lacks depth at almost all positions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I get where you are coming from and I think over the next 12 months they need to phase the high earning veterans out. I certainly wouldn’t be trading away blue chip players like TJ or Minkah though.

Bad teams trade their best players, good teams build around them.

In the past five years Mahomes, Watson and Allen were all picked between 8-12. Say the Steelers are picking at 15 in 2022, moving in to the top ten should be very doable, especially with an arsenal of comp picks from losing Bud, Juju and others. Burning the building to the ground in the hopes of getting a pick high enough to find a QB is lunacy, JMO

You don’t necessarily need to draft one to get a QB now either, look at all the quarterbacks changing teams at the moment. Ideally you get one in the draft and he turns out to me Mahomes or Watson level but it’s not the only way. Look at what Tampa did, steadily built up a nice roster and then added the QB when the time was right, albeit it was a bit of a fluke that TB12 was available.

I’d be totally against tanking personally, Steelers will never do it anyway so it’s not worth any serious consideration

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm all for moving on when it comes to our guys above 30, but getting rid of guys like Claypool, TJ and Minkah is lunacy. Those 3 along with Bush are who we need to build around for next 8+ years and beyond. If the Steelers had an up and coming line and RB in place, I'd be willing to give up a 3rd and comp pick for Darnold. He's still young enough to get his career on track and be a solid QB for years to come. We just have too many holes to fix to give up draft picks for a guy that may not be worth a damn here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I wouldn't go that far. QBs can win early. Could be ready to compete in '22 or '23.

This is why I'd take a shot at a Darnold with a young core. Few more draft hits and they're right back there.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Duck.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe Haskins was high on their Draft board, S. Darnold wasn't. Just going from things I've seen and read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Edmunds and other DBs were too. We had to get Minkah from Miami because we don't evaluate and draft some positions very well. The current regime hasn't exactly knocked it out of the park with QBs lately either. Just because they were high on a draft board means little if they falter at the NFL level as these 2 QBs have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Well, I don't know. Miami traded Fitz for a first rounder. Every indication has their needle pointing up. Rams swapped their stud QB and picks for another stud. They are in win now mode.

Anyway, I know as well as anyone that the Rooney's won't tear it down to the studs. I wish I shared the optimism that you guys do that they can come out of the situation they find themselves in within a couple of seasons and be a legit threat to make the playoffs, but I don't see it.

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The scenario we find ourselves has always made me wonder how major decisions get decided and what kind of crystal ball do they use. For instance, you would think that when they were making the deal with Ben and how it would contribute to the cap hell and all the other financial concerns we talk about on here, that they had an idea of how to circumnavigate what lies ahead. And if the Rooney's don't subscribe to rebuilding the team, then you would think decisions would have been made to stay within those constraints. I know the dynamics of this is more complex than just Ben's contract, but what do you think they were thinking when they sealed the Ben deal.
    a. damn, that's a ton of money but here is what we'll do later on to lessen the impact
    b. damn, that's a ton of money and we'll figure out something down the road and hope we can get past this
    c. damn, that's a ton of money, but it keeps Ben happy and it doesn't matter what we face later on and keeps Duck from playing for us.
    How far does their financial planner go out to? Bottom line, I HOPE that as much as we are confused about what is going to happen, somebody in the organization has the plan and are working it out. Or am I an imbecile that should be thinking of something else?

• Like Like x 3
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    In fairness to Colbert and everyone else in that front office, if it wasn’t for a global pandemic wiping out 30% of league revenue there would be no issue. The cap was expected to rise by 10% this year rather than fall. They couldn’t possibly have planned for that back in 2019.

The restructure they did with Ben last year exacerbated the issue, but they had what they believed was a championship roster so they decided to go all in. A lot of the fan ire seems to be directed at Ben, but it was the team that laid out the contract and asked him to restructure last year as you have pointed out. It was all in the name of trying to win another champion and unfortunately it didn’t work. I don’t blame them floor trying however.

• Like Like x 2
  21. DBoyZ Mike

DBoyZ Mike Member

May 9, 2020
    I would definitely offer a 3rd round and have him compete for the back up Ben or if Mason Starts he could be his backup

22. DBoyZ Mike

DBoyZ Mike Member

May 9, 2020
    Mitch , I believe he is a free Agent.......
    He is Young and would be a possible future option at QB.
    let him Sit a year behind Ben and Mason.
    JMO, Aaron Rodgers mold.....
    He can Throw, Runs enough

Sam will cost you a 3rd Round.....

Were in A BAD Spot there definitely are too many needs to draft a QB when there are these two guys who both at times Show they have skills to WIN ( Yes I know they know how to lose = but that could be looked at as an experience and at least its Not a wasted Draft pick )They are High draft picks that with Pittsburgh's receivers and a year behind Ben, everyone could benifit!

23. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Darnold played 23 more games than Rudolph, yet only has 4 more wins than him. Most of Rudolph's starts came in a horrendous 2019 season of injuries to key players. Would definitely be wasting a 2nd rounder.

• Agree Agree x 1