1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd round pick for Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Have to agree that an OL, if not specifically center, should be our main focus in the draft. It starts with the center/line. Skilled positions won't shine without a competent OL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d be stunned if the day one starter at Center next year was a draft pick, they’ll get someone in free agency and draft a Center to develop in round 2-3 imo. Same with Tackle. If they are ready to play straight away then great, but it would be very risky to be depending on it.

Mu guess is that both Finney and Beachum are back on cheap deals to give them a failsafe at C / T for a year. That’s not going to excite anybody but I think it’s a sensible plan

Pass on Darnold, especially if the price is a second rounder, I’m not sure he is that much better than Mason and he is going in to the last year of his cheap rookie deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Randy Who?

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  5. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The Jets need to get a grip on reality if that is their strategy. Darnold has not been good and is a risk for anybody trading for him. He has shown absolutely nothing to convince anybody that he is a franchise QB. He is a redemption project at this stage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Finchtner

7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    So you think the ghost of Randy Fitchner is still going to leave an impact on the Steelers offense?

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm saying if he was still here. All past QB prospects never worked out under him. Maybe it will be different now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Canada was the qb coach last year. The year before Randy was doing double duty. That's very difficult to have a 2nd year qb, a rookie qb, coach them up and try to game plan without your franchise qb. It's easy to sit here and complain about it but not too many if any people would be able to make that work. What exactly or who did you want him to turn mason and duck into? This year we had no camp. It's not as simple as you think. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    No

• Like Like x 1
  11. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I feel that Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder, and Jermaine Kearse weren't that much worse than what we had here post AB. The line is in decline, we are weak at TE. I don't know what Canada brings to the table, but Finchter wasn't that much better than Gase if we were the easiest offense to play against. How much different is it going to be than New York?

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    C’mon, we aren’t offering any picks or anything else for Sam Darnold.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Plus a lot of the offensive coaching staff is new.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Ok how about Landry Jones then? The point is that Finchtner was woefully unqualified to guide any future QBs to some form of success throughout the years but the Steelers never wanted to make a serious commitment to bringing in anyone decent.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Where are they getting a this money?

16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Those guys would be dirt cheap.

Their cap situation is not as bad as many think. Once the cap number is announced I’d expect several cuts, restructures and extensions soon after to clear up room.

They don’t have enough guys to fill out a roster at the moment so they are going to need to find cheap veterans via trade or free agency.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He's shown more than Haskins yet here Haskins is with us, temporarily.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ken anderson was here. probably not a lot of people wanted to come here and put up with ben. what does landry jones have to do with anything? you can't wave a magic wand and make them all franchise qb's. their first commitment is to the starter and we had that. that wasn't going to change with landry. :cool:

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say save our pick or trade it for a future pick ...I like what I saw in Mason and he deserves a chance...Plus I like Haskins I think he is raw and needs to get his head on ,but you don't throw that many TD'S in one season without elite talent.. Plus I like Dobbs as he showed well in preseason games the Coach actually told him not to run and extend plays , I think he may be a good QB with the right style,our OC might just run that style..

I do think Sam is worth a #2 and I think it will happen, I just don't think the Steelers need to go that route this season..I hope Ben retires they sign Dobbs back and roll with those 3 this season and try to fix the Team ... This also keeps the QB spot cheap on the money side of it for a season..

Heck who knows Ben won a SB as basically a game manager so maybe if we hit on all the other pcs and have great game planning and lots of luck and stay healthy who knows?

20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Sadly this is what is going to happen. We're going to downgrade at several positions with cheap, familiar free agents and run it back against the hardest schedule in the league.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they signed Finney, I think it would be as a backup, I could see a rookie starting at center.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i take that hardest schedule in the league with a grain of salt because other teams are going to go through struggles with the cap and free agency as well. what was last season could quickly change this season. injuries also come into play as we saw last year. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Haskins didn’t cost a draft pick though, just a cheap futures contract.

I doubt Darnold brings in more than a 3rd rd pick.

24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Hopefully. Or Finney might start the season and they work the rookie in when ready.

This upcoming draft is one of the most important that I can remember. They have to get it right

25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    What choice do they have though? There is no money for starter level free agents unfortunately.