1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd round pick for Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
  2. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep he will get it as how many 2nd. round bust do we see each season so a QB who is for sure not a bust for a 2nd. is a good deal..Is he the Franchise QB I don't think so , but a solid #2 who might be a decent #1 is worth a #2 IMO...

5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Darnold has not proven he is much better than Rudolph. Until I see Darnold's girlfriend, I would have to pass.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When did the Steelers become a magnet for QBs who are 1st round busts? Honestly, I don't know much about Darnold but I assume like Paxton, Wentz, Haskins, Tribinski, whoever, there are reasons they are not successful and we are not a good place for these types of players to come and magically make into something they haven't been able to become so far. Betting on a hand that has little chance of winning isn't worth the loss of draft picks. Minkah was a sure fire bet that was a proven commodity. These dudes, they are what they are. Darnold, I don't know, maybe so. I'll just read more posts to see what all think like the other 365 1/2 players suggested we should get to come to Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Darnold is surrounded by garbage in NY. He has shown moments of being damn good and I think a change in location will go a long ways in getting him back to where people believe he could/should be. I think he's well worth a 2nd round gamble on. I'd love to see him under center for the Steelers next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think Darnold will go the way of Josh Rosen. Traded for a 2nd and 5th and then later released all together as a free agent. And then signed and released and sign for free again.
    Ari-->Mia-->TB-->SF All in 3 years.

Give Darnold a year and you will be able to pick him up off the streets for free.

9. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Can't blame anyone for failing on the Jet's. That organization is the worst. Just truly lost and no clue. I mean Seriously anyone that had to deal with Gase should get a second chance!

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would stick with Rudolph before I would trade for Darnold. Rudolph may prove himself to be better in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Darnold is nearly two years younger than Rudolph. But he’s already played more than twice as many games. Darnold’s QB rating is a bit lower than Masons (78 vs 82), which given the teams around them, doesn’t seem to bad. I think Darnold is likely to have a better career than Mason, but to me the upgrade, whatever it is, isn’t worth using a 2nd rounder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Looks like people are split on this.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yup, plus better pedigree and tools than Rudolph.

BTW, he's not only younger than Mason, he's younger than Baker, LJ, and Burrow.

Darnold's pre-draft comps:

https://www.nfl.com/news/ask-5-what-s-best-nfl-comp-for-usc-qb-sam-darnold-0ap3000000922369

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't know. I've been dead set against bringing anyone else in because of cap reasons, but I think he's on the last year of his rookie contract. Then I think to myself they have so many other needs, especially offensive lineman. He has some skills. He's mobile and runs pretty well. Has a good arm. But, he's raw and probably messed up playing for that trash organization. Meh. If they get him, what's the worst that can happen? He doesn't work out and they dump him? On the other hand, they might be getting an above average QB. I really am not expecting much out of this team for the next two or so seasons anyway, so why not? One thing is for sure. He has to be better than Haskins, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I started reading this and got confused.

I was thing of the DPOY from the Rams for some reason.

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    would you offer a 2nd pick for Aaron Darnold?

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In the right situation I think Darnold could thrive.

I'm torn, because I want another year with #7. If we could somehow land him next offseason, I'd consider it.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Darnold is 13- 25. 45 TDs and 39 interceptions. Why the he'll would we want him? Mason is 5-4 with 15 TDs and 10 interceptions. Let the guy play in a real offense and not one made for ben. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    It's one thing to bring in an underperforming young talent. It's another to develop him. We have done NOTHING to develop our rotating doors list of backups for years. I think Darnold has more talent at qb than our organization does at using/developing talent properly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The bottom line is the 5th year option us around 25 million guaranteed, then if he shows enough you have to decide to sign him to big bucks or franchise him for around 33 to million. 60 million to find out if you are going to sign him to a 120 million plus contract.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He's gonna be gone this off-season, you either do it now or not at all. Which is why they need to get off the pot and tell Ben goodbye.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Definitely right there, I wouldn't trust Randy to develop a high school QB let alone an NFL one. Maybe now though they finally get it and will seriously commit to developing QBs?

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would rather roll the dice on Haskins at this point. Given the fact that Pouncey has now retired, that makes the Steelers job of drafting a bit more difficult despite having starter capable Centers in the class. Again, it will not surprise me in the slightest if Creed Humphrey is the pick at 24..... and one I will not be mad at....

.... UNLESS Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah is available that is.

24. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I don't think they're going to have a choice. Going to be interesting, for certain.

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    That does make me angry all the years we heard the talking heads say just let Ben be Ben and have him play sandlot football. One of the reasons we're in this mess now.