1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You do realize that you backed up what I have been saying this entire time, that the criticism of Ben is for calling his teammates out. Thats a critique of one part of ben as a leader, not one person has said Ben is a terrible leader and the worst teammate ever, stop making **** up.

Let’s try this from a different approach, lets just say Ben is the worst leader and a terrible teammate, so what, how come AB is the only one to quit on the team then? It doesn’t matter what Ben is, AB is responsible for AB’s actions. Grow the hell up and stop blaming other people for a grown mans bad behavior.

By the way, I noticed you avoided the post of mine that linked the article with pics of Ben having teammates over to his lake house and riding on his boat, that terrible awful teammate that he is!

Can you show me the links of Brady, Brees, Manning, etc doing that? I haven’t seen any of those stories for them and would like to know since they are your measuring stick.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Sadly, some people don't a) bring sufficient substance supporting their view, and/or b) know when it's best to step away from the debate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I told brady had AB living with him lol. That's how far he was willing to go to keep AB on track. And like others have said Ben is also at fault for ab doing what he did. Others didn't because they didn't have the cache to challenge Ben like ab did. The players in the nfl while ab was on the steelers had AB recognized as the best player on that team. That's why he did what he did. Others weren't considered better than Ben so they felt at the time they ddint have the cache to dit. Like the guys aid about Joey proper. Everyone wanted to say what Joey said but just couldn't msuter up to do it. Ab had the fortitude to pull off what he did. That was the difference. Because he knew since he was so great, he could pull what he pull and still in the end get his way which he ultimately did.

And again thats still not being a leader. Can you be a good receiver if you are fast, run good routes, but can't catch a cold? NO. Its the totality. One major aspect of something can completely shape your overall ability of something. And calling people out correlates with being a leader. Also other spointe don't how he doesn't go out of his way to make people happy. Ben likes the people that kiss ass. Brady, manning, brees etc.. is the type to kiss someone's ass. That's the diferenc2. I'd didnt say Ben doesn't like guys who kiss up to him but as a qb it's your job to keep everyone reeled in which is what literally every player acknowledged. Ben didn't make his business to do that he's like oh well and nonchanalant about those things. The real leaders are not.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It's facts. Lol I listed several

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1. Its Black & Gold
    2. Please be quiet Ab

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am hoping for anything that does not extend his contract.

We should not be throwing away money in 2022 and 2023 just so Ben can play this year.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert hinted at a possible split with Ben Roethlisberger on Wednesday after meeting with the high-priced quarterback following the Super Bowl.

"As we sit here today, Ben is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers," Colbert told reporters, via ESPN's Brooke Pryor. "… He reiterated to us that he wants to continue to play. We told him we have to look at this current situation."

Roethlisberger's payout will cost the team $41.25 million against the salary cap in 2021, representing the highest charge of any player in the NFL. The veteran signal-caller recently said he's willing to restructure his contract and doesn't care about his salary at this stage of his career.

But the 38-year-old also suffered from diminishing skills last season, leading to questions about whether the Steelers can still win a Super Bowl with him. Roethlisberger imploded in the playoffs with four interceptions in an opening-round loss to the Cleveland Browns.

"Can he still do some special things? Absolutely. Did he do that to his expectations? He would tell you no," Colbert said.

"Whatever team we come up with in 2021, hopefully, we're not talking about losing a first-round playoff game."

Roethlisberger is due a $15 million roster bonus on March 19, the third day of the new league year. If Pittsburgh releases him before then, the franchise can save $19 million against the cap, according to OverTheCap.

"Hopefully, there's a way that we can try to figure out and do what's best for the organization and do what's best for Ben," Colbert said. "Hopefully, he'll be able to see that and feel the same way we do."

The Steelers enter the offseason approximately $30.6 million over the cap.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Sounding like the Steelers actually may move on from Ben. Seems like he will need to take one hell of a pay cut to stay.

9. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Ben was great! But time to move on... It's time!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I was never convinced that the team were ‘all in’ on him coming back. DMR’s comments on Ben a few weeks back were lukewarm at best, even though the media ran with it as confirmation that he was returning for some reason.

Perhaps Colberts comments are a ploy to send a message to Ben in relation to his contract, or perhaps the team is really considering cutting him and moving on. We will see.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they want to move on, they probably wish Ben would have made it easy on them and retired but now they have a messy situation to deal with, cutting an icon. So they will probably make demands that Ben isn’t willing to meet financially and then they can say well we wanted Ben back and Ben wanted to be here but we weren’t able to make it happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m wondering is this an underhanded way of saying to Ben that a restructure isn’t going to cut it this time, you need to take a substantial pay cut if you want to come back.

I would not like Ben to be forced out after the career that he has had but I do think it’s time to move on for better or worse. I was kind of hoping he would see the light himself and just retire.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He doesn’t fit with what Canada does at all. They could have kept Fitchtner for one more year if they wanted Ben back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He could very well find himself playing for another team this year if he's truly committed to giving it one more go.

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s time to start a new chapter

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm excited! Love Ben and all he's done, He brought us 2 Super Bowls, and tons of great memories!!!!!!

But I'm greedy...Hated watching this years Super Bowl...Marsha winning AGAIN!

I'm " excited " because I KNOW, We aren't winning another one WITH Ben.. And that's the bottom line WITH ME! Excited for what's next!

Imo...I still think we're screwed with Tomlin here ( been talked about to death ) But the whole thing needs blown up...Tomlin, Ben are the 2 biggest chips...

Steelers will never " rebuild " AR said as much...But we have to at least " realize " that we need to transition into the next chapter...

Reload/ replenish/ transition/ restock/ rebuild... However you want to phrase it... Let's get the next whatever STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This breaks it down succinctly.

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If Ben was already paid $22.5 million for this season and truly doesn’t care about the money, the team would be silly to cut him vs signing for 23.5 million.

Another way to put it, they can get Ben for 1 million. Seems to me, kicking the tires one last time is worth it for that.

So then is 2 million? What about 3?

With the team on the hook for 22 million regardless, might as well negotiate the other salary as low as possible.

Would Ben play for 1 or 2 million? Honestly, I don’t think it’s about the money. Once you’re done playing, you’re done. If he feels he has more to give, then he should be willing to negotiate a price the team can afford to give him a team to play with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    NFLPA would go berserk if he took that kind of haircut. There is an understanding of sorts among players that you just don’t do that.

There is probably limited scope for paycuts, maybe he could shave a couple of million off but that’s about it, bringing him back is far more likely to mean a restructure with voidable years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn’t think that it would happen, Colbert with another 1year deal and who knows if Tomlin gets resigned.

I didn’t think they would care about 2022, but it seems to be a hint that they do.

I’m guessing Tomlin is resigned, Colbert stays longer, and they start with a new QB 2021.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What if he got a bowl cut?

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Ben is much more Curly, than Moe.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Pithy way to put it, and I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    No one want to see a franchise QB, one many would vote the best in the team's history, be on the chopping block. Ideally you see a break at the end of the most recent contract - a la Brady, or Montana back in the day - but the timing is difficult, there's significant money and future-paths involved.

On the flip side no one wants to have franchise-leading career with a team, lead them to three SBs, win two, have a HoF career - and then end it in the fashion Ben's did over the last six games, especially the last one.

Tough transition for both sides.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do not want 2 see him play 4 another team.