1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Boxing Match on Tonight

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by S.T.D, Feb 13, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Richard Commey v.s Jackson Marinez. Also a couple of good undercard fights.
    On ESPN.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Guess I was the only one.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    To be honest the last time I followed boxing was Ali/Frazier years. I do not know anyone who follows it. I forgot all about it. I saw your post and it probably the first time I gave boxing a thought in 25 years.

Now all that said, I saw the last 2 rounds. Woke up on couch and flipped channels and sure as **** I got there and remembered this post. Kind of amazing! That Commey kid caught my attention real fast. I had forgotten how freaking quick their jabs are. He could throw 10 punches in the time I'd get 1 in. I said I'll watch one more round and he got the KO that round. Think it was early in the fight???

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude. My favorite sport outside of Steelers football & college football. It was a great fight . Now Commey is back in contention. He had got beat by T. Lopez. Who is the champ at that weight. Glad you watched

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Used to be the only boxing I cared about were heavyweights.......until I saw Sugar Ray Leonard! I haven't seen a bout, probably, since Oscar De La Hoya. What weight were these guys?

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Lightweight. 134 .

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Tonight is a great one. WBC Junior Lightweight(also know as super featherweight). Berchelt(37-1-0, 33 KOs) vs Oscar Valdez ( 28 -0-0 , 22 KOs) . That's the main event. Will be other good fights.:dancing:On ESPN.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You guys suck. ;)I'm the only Boxing fan on here?

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I like to get a few blows to the head every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Tyson/Holyfield/Bowe days for me. Haven’t followed it since.

I heard Spinx passed away a couple weeks ago.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Another Good main event tonight .
    On ESPN 9pm central.
    WBO Feather Weight Title.
    Emanuel Navarrette 32- 1, 27 KOs
    V.S.
    Christopher Diaz 26 - 2 , 16 KOs
    Plus other great fights on the undercards.

12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Just in passing I saw this advertised and my first thought was that guy with the 3 letter handle on the message board will be happy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My 1st Love of Sports. Thanks 2 my Family. Football came later. Not much ,but Later.

14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm sure you realize you are in a huge minority, kind of like me and the Pittsburgh Pirates who have about 10 fans.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah I know.
    Never cared about what's popular, only what I like.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    On another note Boxing has no ....Other Social stuff like other sport right now. Just Boxing. No justice warriors.
    Nice 2 watch a Sport where they just talk about the Sport.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Another great fight tonight!!!!
    2 undefeated champions with all the Belts on the line 2 make one of them the...........
    Undisputed Champ
    Jose Ramirez 26-0 , 17 KOs vs Josh Taylor 17-0 , 13 KOs on ESPN tonight.

This is a Way better sport than Baseball, or Basketball .:rawk:

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Back when I was growing up as a lad in the Burgh, during summer, every man/father in the neighborhood sat out on their front porch in their underwear (high temps and humidity) drinking an IC, smoking a cig or cigar with their TVs tuned to Friday Night Fights sponsored by Gillette. The unified sound of dozens of TVs and the wafting aroma of cigar smoke was unforgettable. Depending on the TV schedules, sometimes the Fights were replaced by Pirate games with Bob Prince begging for a bloop and a blast, an alabaster chop or a radio ball (Fork Ball) from Elroy Face (you can hear it - but not see it). :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I feel like I'm the only one that watches anymore.
    Was a great Fight tonight, also won a little from it.:smiley1:

20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I say that about watching Golf, needless to say I'm a huge minority. Boxing fans are a major minority in this country. Aside from you I know of no one who knows anything about it and a few didn't even know there were still boxing championships. Once the names got funny sounding and the Champions were from other countries I think most lost interest.

Now that said because of you I got curious. When I was into boxing it was all about the heavyweights but I always appreciated the lighter weights. Knew neither guy existed until your post. Saw the records and it caught my interest. Decided to root for Taylor just because of name. I only saw last 5-6 rounds but to me it could have gone either way. Really think there should be a re-match to decide things.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st...I won money on Taylor.
    I believe..
    Well You might have missed it ...Taylor knocked him down twice in the middle rounds ..
    So I think he was just trying not 2 lose in the last 3 rounds , and realize Ramirez had nothing for him after that.
    I Agree. I would Love 2 see a rematch.
    I believe that is only 7th time in all Boxing history that a fighter is the Undisputed Champ.(He Holds Every Belt in that weight class).

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Hello my friend, I wanted to give you some info about something I know you'll enjoy, heck I'm even looking forward to watching it. First a quick funny story. I saw the advertisement for this and jumped up to post and my wife asked what I was doing. I told her I have to give this info to STD. Her reply: "better her then me, I don't want your venereal disease.":facepalm:

Now I really hope you have the cable channel, "Showtime", on June 6th they are having a 4 part series on the lives of Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns and my favorite one to see Sugar Ray Leonard. Also on June 6th to kick it off Floyd Mayweather (huge huge ego) goes against Logan Paul, who is something called a social media influencer*, whatever the hell that is.

I'm looking forward to it and really hope you have Showtime because you are the only person I know who deserves to watch this 4 part series.

* What in the hell does a social media influencer do??????? Post stuff a million times to get people interested?????????

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Laughing at the venereal disease. LoL
    1st ...I don't have Showtime, but I have a friend who does. So I will have him DVR it for me.
    2nd. I don't have a clue what a media influencers is.:shrug:, but Mayweather is one of the Greatest Defensive fighters of my lifetime, so whatever with the Media influencers. LoL.
    3rd ...Thank You Very Much 4 letting me know. :thumbs_up::thumbs_up: I will watch all of it.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess I will do this just incase anyone cares 2 hear.:clapping:
    Great Fight Tonight.
    Shakur Stevenson 15- 0, 8 KOs v.s. Jeremiah Nakathila 20 - 1 , 16 KOs

Undercards look ok.:shrug:

On ESPN 10pm ET.

25. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I watched that Mayweather/Logan Paul fight finally. Paul is 20 years younger but not a real boxer and I have to give him credit. He pretty much held his own. Ended in a draw of course.

The records of both fighters you listed should make for an interesting night for boxing fans. I'll be getting home around 10 tonight and think I'll give it a try with a few brews before bed.

• Like Like x 1