1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben's Cap Hit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pjgruden, Feb 10, 2021.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I was curious, so I went through and looked at the biggest cap hit for every team in the NFL. Here's the breakdown:

Chandler Jones (OLB) Cards $20.83M
    Matt Ryan (QB) Falcons $40.912M
    Ronnie Stanley (T) Ravens $15.25M
    Tre'Davious White (CB) Bills $14.05M
    Teddy Bridegwater (QB) Panthers $20M
    Khalil Mack (OLB) Bears $37.4M
    Trae Waynes (CB) Bengals $15.8M
    Odell Beckham, Jr. (WR) Browns $15.75M
    DeMarcus Lawrence (DE) Cowboys $25M
    Von Miller (OLB) Broncos $22.225M
    Jared Goff (QB) Lions $27.825M
    Aaron Rodgers (QB) Packers $37.572M
    Laremy Tunsil (LT) Texans $19.4M
    DeForest Buckner (DT) Colts $17M
    Andrew Norwell (G) Jags $15M
    Frank Clark (DE) Chiefs $25.8M
    Derek Carr (QB) Raiders $22.125M
    Joey Bosa (DE) Chargers $20.750M
    Aaron Donald (DT) Rams $27.892M
    Byron Jones (CB) Dolphins $16.1M
    Kirk Cousins (QB) Vikings $31M
    Stephon Gilmore (CB) Pats $15.015M
    Cameron Jordan (DE) Saints $18.9M
    James Bradberry (CB) Giants $17.25M
    Jamison Crowder (WR) Jets $11.375M
    Carson Wentz (QB) Eagles $34.674M
    Ben Roethlisberger (QB) Steelers $41.25M
    Jimmy Garoppolo (QB) 49ers $26.4M
    Russell Wilson (QB) Seahawks $32M
    Tom Brady (QB) Bucs $28.375M
    Ryan Tannehill (QB) Titans $29.5M
    Alex Smith (QB) Wash $24.4M

Ben has the worst cap hit in the entire NFL. Compared to the cap hit, though, his dead cap number is $22.25M. I know the team doesn't want to eat that money, but they just can't pay him that much for next season. He can't be restructured, the only option is an extension. Even if they extend him for a year, spread the cap hit over both years and only pay the league minimum (which say is $2M) for one year, his cap hit is still essentially the same as the dead cap #, but they're on the hook for that number for the next two years. I know he's done a lot for this organization, but the team just can't afford to keep a player making 21.72% of the cap, especially since his ability to push the ball downfield got worse as the year went on.
    Basically, I feel as though even though the team might say they want Ben, that doesn't mean it's in the cards.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    There is zero upside to keeping him. Zero. He isn't effective on the field anymore and he's simply too costly. We have other players who actually produce at a high level who need paid. We also need to rework our OL. He has great command of "this" offense. But he can't physically carry out the task. Thanks for the memories and leaving your body on the field, Ben. Honestly. No offense to the Blonde Bomber, but the best QB the Steelers ever had. But it's time to hang them up, for yourself, your legacy, and the team.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Especially since his ability to push the ball downfield got worse as the year went on.

:hmm: Prty sure he connected on more deep balls as the year went on, Especially when they abanded the game plan and Ben had to improvise :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just hope they do not extend his contract for a few more year to spread his bonus money out. Cut him and let him sign a 1 year deal for 2021 if he wants to come back.

There is no reason to keep Ben on the books for 2022 and 2023.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No offense, but this has been discussed to death around here lately in multiple other threads.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It seems his body cannot last a season anymore

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I hope ( and I think this is a real possibility ) that they really low-ball Ben ( which they should ) and he gets really offended ( which he will ) And then he either retires, is cut, or demands a trade...

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry, didn't see a specific comparison between his cap numbers and other teams. Really the whole point of my post was just to show the comparison of him to everyone else's top paid guy.

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yeah, this is not a new subject but keeps coming up. I sense the FANS frustration in how this team is run and its from the top down. They'll let Ben do what he wants (to a certain extent regardless of what Rooney babbled) and we'll probably be seeing a RF lite offense once again next year. This team is definitely not run to make the fans confident IMO. From being unprepared, undisciplined, predictable and easily defended, massive late season frustrations. not getting rid of crap coaches and the questionable process for finding new ones. Of course there is that one thing that makes all of these ills less noticeable and that is winning. We'll have to do some waiting I am afraid before we see if the fans approve of what is going on between 3 weeks ago and next game day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Quit getting my hopes up. I like what Ben has been for us, but damn, its time to move on while we still have some other pieces to assist in the transition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :smiley1: A smile be4 I say this. Because I mean no harm, but how about P. Maholmes. From what I'm hearing he only lost cause of foot, ankle ,something problems.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same things people in NE were saying. Wonder if they are still saying it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    And what exactly is demanding a trade going to do? Just like sex it takes two to tango for this to happen. Nobody is going to want bens contract. Even at his best that contract number is hard to swallow for any team. You just cant have any player taking up between a 1/5 and 1/4 of your cap when you need 52 other players on the roster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Especially one that is washed up and 40

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    he has been over paid for the last 2 years, he should have helped the Steelers out and he did not.

17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thank you hall monitor. :goofy: But, no offense and all.

18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He lost because his OL sucked balls and he didn't have a TE or RB who could help block the 4 guys that were rushing and blowing the f$#% up that OL. That loss wasn't due to Mahomes. Hell, he's the only reason they didn't get shut out and beat by 50.

Maybe this is sarcasm that I didn't pick up? Now that I think about it, yeah this has to be sarcasm. Nevermind then...

• Like Like x 1
  19. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Wow, Matt Ryan at 40mil? Dang, Falcons.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    NP happy to help

• Like Like x 2
  21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So when do they meet about his future?

22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    IMO, it's best for the team that Ben move on. The difficulty is getting Ben to be at peace with it - no fans your final season and a dumpster fire against the Browns as your final game has got to be a tough pill to swallow after his career.

I don't see the team cutting him if he insists on coming back, and nobody is trading for him, so they either convince him of the beauty of retirement or start shuffling $$ through extensions.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I think he is looking for the fairytale ending. It’s so unlikely that it’s almost bordering on fantasy. The roster changes and free agent losses they are looking at will be just too much to overcome.

If he comes back the most likely outcome is an even more humiliating ending, irrelevance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Being that Ben has been over paid for his skill set for quite some time,
    I could understand the Steelers to ask him to play for league minimum and if he doesn't agree
    or is a malcontent, cut him. let me be clear #7 has been a good Steeler, no one held a gun
    to Steelers head to pay him over 232 million for his career. Ben should have helped the Steelers out these past 4 years, with reduced salary so Steelers could put better talent/coaches around him, he did not.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Difference is Brady won 3 Super Bowls from 2011-2019 while Ben won 3 playoff games and had quite a bit of turnovers.