1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter King: Steeler Hater

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 9, 2021.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He has previously said that he will never vote for another Steeler from the 70’s team as they have ‘enough’ players in the HOF. This is before Shell went in. His reasoning and rationale is all over the place.

I’m not a big fan of his writing or punditry tbh. I have no idea why he is so respected as a journalist. Any time I hear him on talk shows and the like I find his contributions to be lacking in any real substance.

Edit: should have added that I don’t consider him a Steelers hater. I just think he sometimes applies some very flawed logic to things and not voting for Troy and his blacklisting of the 70’s Steelers teams due to voter fatigue are good examples.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, he should probably lose his vote for that. You are supposed to vote for the best, not try and jimmy the system to get another person in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Great article. It occurred to me while reading this piece that maybe the author of the article, Dave Bryan should get a vote in place of Peter King. His reasoning on why King seems to have a hard-on for the Steelers is spot on. Whether a player is a shoe in or not should have no bearing on why a writer uses that vote for someone that is on the fence. By any set of parameters, Peyton Manning is a first ballot HoF'er. Then he should receive a vote from everyone that can cast one. Otherwise, you get selective reasoning from a hack like Peter King who wants to use his vote in a strictly political way rather than using comparative metrics to analyze why a player at a particular position deserves a HoF vote relative to players already so honored, those of his generation, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Another dolt with a vote...

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Who?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Side Note:

Dave Bryan is a world level a**hole. He would be possibly worse than King is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That could very well be. AFAIK, this article was the first thing I ever read of his. No matter whether he is an idiot the level of Peter King or no, his reasoning in this article is spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Troy should rib King in his speech, ha ha!

Its just like the Baseball guys who vote on the Baseball HOF ... they like to flaunt the power they wield. It's really quite silly.

I love Steelers Depot and Terrible Podcast. I'm sure he would probably be tough to work for, but I think Dave is usually fair of his assesments of the team.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I always thought Peter King kind of liked the Steelers, maybe he is doing this to not show homerism.

He has often picked them to be the Super Bowl or even in it, when he with his pre-season predictions and such.

Also on his all decade team of the 2000's his picked Aaron Smith as a DE, a lot of people asked him why.

He said Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 DE to play in the last 30 years and no one even knows about it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are correct in this. I heard him, but his no vote of Troy P. is a travesty.

13. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    It doesn't matter. The HOF is politics. It has been for a while. Look at any Hall of Fame and it becomes opinionated politics within its genre. If you are truly a memorable person (for what ever Hall we are talking about) then the important people (the fans) will always remember you. Having some bronze bust in a hall somewhere doesn't change that either way whether your good or amazing. Just another consumer experience for people is all it is.

14. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    "Exciting?" Faneca said. "No, it's not exciting. Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?" Roethlisberger of course led the Steelers to a win in not only that game, but a 15-1 record as well.......I was never a fan of Faneca because of the support he gave his new young QB. I can imagine how Big Ben felt, but I guess that statement from the teams leader didn't knock the wind out of Ben's sails as he went on winning, who knows, maybe those words were a motivator for him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yep. Not talking anything away from Faneca. He was great, but that's exactly some of the things I was referring 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    See, I actually looked at Faneca's statement back then much differently. It was honest. It was transparent. And it put Ben on notice. Put up or shut up. Harsh as it was, that statement flew back then. It would not fly today. Today, we live in a wussified society that can't deal with reality. We get our feelings hurt and complain and cry and moan over people simply having a different opinion. So I applaud Faneca for his comments. History certainly doesn't frown on him for it, and I bet if you ask Ben, he doesn't frown on Faneca either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I wasn't a fan of Faneca when he started whining about money and then left via free agency. A lot of players do that, sure. But he left in kind of a douchey fashion where he turned down an extension and thought he was all that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I think he would have rather stayed here. The numbers didn't work and he was frustrated. I will no longer fault a good player and person for getting all they can in the NFL. Their careers are so short.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is frustrating from a fans view, but the Cap is the reality for both team and player. The business side sucks, I cannot recall the exact events, but the team (and his play) had made him top paid at his position at one time, the team felt they could not match his demands for the next contract. Sometimes those are bad decisions on both sides, but as you stated I never felt anyone should take the short end of the deal (especially if you are talking a huge cut). The window is indeed short and the NFL the only major sport without guaranteed contracts, good or bad, it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think the word to describe this jackass is biased. I don't have any respect for 95% of the media. They all have f ed up agendas and this is just another case. What's the reason for Faneca taking so long? Only 8 all pro seasons? I still think TJ didn't get DPOY because of this type of horse dung logic with so many Steelers going into HOF last 2yrs.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Clown, take his Hall Of Fame vote away

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Peter King? Never heard of her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Midget with a big head. Chris "Mad Dog" Russo **** on him one time and Peter went on his show and they were arguing about it. Chris told him just because I know you, doesn't mean i]I'm not gonna say when you are wrong.

Not voting for Troy and Faneca should be enough to revoke his vote. That is about as asinine move as Fred Hickman voting for Allen Iverson in 2000 when Shaq was destroying the entire league from beginning to the end.

Douche bag.

24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    NFL Hall of Fame has become the Hall of Very Good. Entirely way too many people are getting in who were not great, just really good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Always got the feeling from King that he thinks his opinions matter more than everyone else’s. Seems like he does this stuff so he’ll be talked about.

• Agree Agree x 1