1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I wonder....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelReal, Feb 6, 2021.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If Ben will do the noble thing and renegotiate his salary for the veteran minimum like Drew Brees has done? He just freed up 24 million in salary cap space for the Saints....even if he doesnt retire hes still a bargain to stick around for a little less than 1.5 million.

Notice there's no mention of spreading his salary over multiple years as if that's going to help the team.

I propose for a veteran minimum salary base thats heavily incentivized. What say ye??

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    What do you have to wager? I'm all ears!

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He might if he was Brees age. You talk about someone that has made alot of money. Brees. 1 SB & a bunch of meaningless stats.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is what I am down to hoping for; A 1 year deal that does not hurt the Steelers in 2022 or 2023

I still think the Steelers are better off without Ben, because no one on the coaching staff here has the balls to sit him down when he stinks up the place.

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben sometimes says things when he's emotional. With that said, he mentioned he 'doesn't care about money so I guess we can take it as he will be looking to decrease his cost.

I definitely would like to see ole big Ben back, but I think they should give Rudolph a shot at being a number 1 Qb before his contract expires to see if he has advanced. We should know by now and he played pretty decent last year when called upon.

Either way if a QB is there in the first round that has franchise qb qualities take them also. Pretty crucial year. I really don't think Haskins is going to be more than Paxton Lynch 2.0. He can't read defenses and sucks at throwing at zone defenses. He should have never gone in the 1st round

6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019

Ben is too old and non mobile at this point. If he comes back which it looks like he will expect the decline that happened last year to be more exaggerated and quicker. It will not end well for Ben that much is certain.

Mason is a career backup QB at the NFL level. He cannot process defenses quick enough and holds onto the ball way to long.

Haskins isn’t even worth commenting on.

The Steelers don’t have a QB that can win a playoff game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Brees is retiring. He is not playing for $1.5m next season. This is simply a way to push some of that dead cap in to next year. He will retire after June 1st, spreading the pain for the team over two seasons instead of one. Situation ins not comparable to Ben, who will actually be expected to play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    They are pushing the cap hit over multiple years, same as they will do with Ben

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Uhhhhhh...Ben has made his share also

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That would be very, very stupid for the Steelers to do that. I hope they're smarter than that

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah. That's why I said. Talk about someone....

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Disagree with just the Ben part. He can still be a top qb at his age with someone else (other than him) running the offense. He'd have to be cool with someone else being the star but maybe not feasible with him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'll trust the steelers organization understands how to manage the cap. As long as I can remember fans here cry about their cap miss management. Yet the experts say we manage the cap as good if not better than most teams. Every season we field a team with plenty of talent. Talent has never been the issue on this team. Coaching and discipline have been the problem for a very long time.

The couple times the team has played hard ball w/ players it usually results in both sides losing. for example... Bell and several good WR's recently. It's kind of funny to read these articles about Bell getting to the SB somehow makes his decision to leave Pittsburgh justified. If you are a KC fan sure....If you are Bell then you cost your self a HUGE amount of $ so you could be a back up on a SB team. KC is in that game with our without Bell....same can be said about AB. Those players are well aware of the fact that they did little to help their teams get to the SB...and they are 10X more aware of the $ they have cost them selves by telling the Steelers to shove it. In the end I think the owners and steelers won because it will definitely make future players think twice about holding out or thinking they are bigger than the game. I get why they want to maximise their salary...everyone would. But they could have handled it so much better.... meanwhile the steelers handled it perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I mean if Ben had a dominant OLine and Running game he could certainly game manage the team like Peyton did his last season. Problem is we have a terrible OLine no RB and Ben would never run the offense from under center.

15. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I was hoping by intentionally not reading the fine print that the inevitable hadnt happened...I see it did. I guess if Ben coming back is a guarantee and there's a choice between spreading BBs salary out over multiple years, or getting it over with after one... I'd rather just get it over with.

16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Some fans here don’t just cry about cap mismanagement. They cry about everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I listened to Ed Bouchette on The Fan Morning Show today, he's far from convinced Ben is coming back. Cited Ben's agent saying that part of the deal will be JuJu and Pouncey returning, the former of which is highly unlikely, the latter up in the air.

If those two shoes drop prior to paying Ben's roster bonus, things could get very interesting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't know how true that is but if Ben's ego is that big, goodbye.

19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ben has made more money as a Player than Every Player in the History of the NFL with the exception of Manning....... I think ..

That being said he is due a 15 million $ roster bonus in March..... That won’t happen!!!

No way Ben treats the Steelers like Brees treats the Saints....

Time for him to go. Play Mason and if he becomes who we hope he can become we are back in the SB conversation!!! If he crashes and Burns we move up the board to acquire our next Franchise QB.....

Ben Staying does more harm than good!

Cajun

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Brees renegotiated because he is going to retire. He won’t play for 1.5.