1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB in First?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel4Blood, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    If they don't go QB in the first round we're in for a long dark time. Ben is done. Rudolph is a backup at best and anyone who thinks Haskins is anything more then what we've already seen, they're fooling themselves. With any luck Trask or Jones will be there at 24. Both have a ton of upside. I get what others are saying about OL and even RB, but the Steelers MUST try to get the future now. I'm assuming Ben will play another year and allowing a young QB to take a season to learn and develop is huge.

2. Kevin

Kevin Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Give me Najee. How many games would’ve been different if we could’ve converted a 3rd or 4th and 1. A stud can get you a yard even with a garbage or new o-line.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Don't think a quality QB will be there at 24. Take ol there n 2 in first 3rounds- OT n C

Between those 2 OL pu is, Dotson, n Chuks/Banner major upgrade
    Have to a real OL Coach/run game coordinator too

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I think next year will be the year to grab a QB. I suspect the Steelers drafting position will be much better unfortunately.

Might as well build the OL or grab a RB this year to make the job easier on the new QB down the road. I think it's going to be a rough couple of years no matter what they draft.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Unless Jones drops, I can't see it. Im doubtful we trade up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know you and I disagree on this but if there is a QB sitting there at 24 that they think can be there next franchise QB, you have to grab him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Depends on the QB for me.

Lance?! Absolutely.

Trask?! Heck no.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't take Trask, or Jones in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It's crazy how much hype Mac Jones is getting. I'm hearing now he won't get past Carolina at #8. Maybe earlier.

Before the season he was a 6 rd-UFA guy. Pretty crazy.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'd take him. Won't be there.
    Are you talking Trey Lance ?

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

He is worth investing in. Again though, assuming he is still there. I seriously doubt he will be.

13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    This year’s version of Tyree Jackson...every year there’s someone like this and they fail...

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    QBs always get hyped up and then sit there for 2 rounds waiting. Hell remember even Brady Quinn got some serious green room agony.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry. I think we are talking about 2 different QBs. My fault. They way I put it. I would give a 1st for M. Jones . I would give a 3rd for Trey Lance. Though what the Hell do I know. Lance has been out. It might hinder him.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is not just about a QB, it is the right QB. Some are predicting a QB run with as many as 5 going in the top 15, leaving Trask and the rest to sort through. If you have him rated as the BPA and you trust the scouts, then you pull the trigger, if not you stick to your board. With some exceptions you still have pretty high % for first round busts, taking a high risk at QB in the first (and failing) can put the organization in a deeper rut.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    You can get this guy in 6th round

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Comparing Brady Quinn to Trey Lance is the equivalent of comparing Chad Pennington to Big Ben. One has all the talent and potential a team could ever want in building a team and game plan around whereas the other is limited based on their throwing and/or athletic shortcomings.

Trey Lance has limitless potential. That potential is coupled with immeasurable arm talent and a cannon for an arm. Someone will be getting quite the gem with him. That said, his potential may also be his greatest downfall. Where ever he goes better have the system needed to allow him to succeed as early as possible. Putting him in a system that does not take full advantage of those gifts in addition to protecting himself will spell his end at a much faster rate.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Keep in mind the level of competition that Trey Lance is going up against. He looks fast in games, but he is no where near Mick Vick / Lamar speed. And just judging by his highlights. He is throwing bombs to wide open college guys.

Kyle Trask intrigues me. He has a nice touch on the ball, good accuracy, is always looking downfield, and is natural enough in the pocket to move around if he needs to unlike.

Justin Fields intrigues me as well, I guess he won't be around?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Carson Wentz went tot he same school as Lance, and he was the second pick in the draft.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wentz seemed like more of a finished product in college in terms of passing.

I'm talking about Lance running the ball though. He doesn't have the type of shiftiness or speed where he will be running away from NFL players.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    GEEZZZZ. I must be getting old. Drafting QBs cause of speed. When has that really worked out? Why not draft the Rbs because of Arm strength, accuracy, reading D, quick processing, and anticipation? How about Wrs, and kickers 4 the same.
    Speed , and Quickness is like Very last thing 2 look at Qb. Icing on a cake. Some see a Qb throwing a punt 2 a WRs 10 yards open , and say ....See he can throw. Number 1 thing .
    How fast can he process what he is seeing. All the Greatest have that. It's the only thing they all have in common.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I won't pretend to even know Trey's prep compared to Ben's coming out, Ben had much more starting experience.but the school would still not be considered top prep academy. My point however is on Ben's rookie year, he get's credit for how he performed and it really was remarkable...I mean a rookie going 13-0, 6 4th qtr comebacks and 5 game winning drives...that is more than talent, that is coolness and grit. I do recall however how the coach's simplified not only the playbook, but also the field 'look' by essentially cutting the field into 3rds to give Ben a more narrow lane to work with. To make this work for 13 games takes other players to elevate their play as well, the downside was Belichek had is schemed out on the first play if the play off's and it went downhill from there.

I would not take Lance in the 1st expecting great contributions the first year, in fact the best spot would be holding a clip board and actually being 3rd string (at least until you were out of the PO race), then bring him in with no pressure to get experience. Even with all of our needs and the expectations of a 1st round pick needing to be plug and play...this is one guy in the draft you should grab if he is there.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agree alot, but we did beat NE . That year. Just not the 2nd time.
    Sorry seen you said playoffs. I somehow didn't catch that 1st read through.

25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Everyone wanting these "running qb' ".. What was Bradys 40 time again? how elusive is he in the pocket?... ....A shiny penny, or a dirty penny, they both have equal value ..

• Agree Agree x 1