1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pep Hamilton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jan 22, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers plan to interview Pep Hamilton, per SteelersDepot.

I am really glad the Steelers are interviewing candidates as opposed to just handing the job to Canada. Why leave any stone unturned.

I think Pep could be a good OC here. Certainly did a good job with Herbert last season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If the intent is to develop Ben’s replacement this year or next and based on Herbert’s development, this would be a very good hire

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am not sure if Rudolph is the answer. But if that is the way the Steelers end up going, I see some similarities in Herbert and Rudolph's game.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    At this point I am for anyone who is not a Ben yes man, I dont care if Ben is back or not well I do I hope he not, but the point is we need a OC with vision and creativness not just a puppet..I am starting to get the feeing that Coach T is out of puppet free passes if he not field a better overall Team this very well could be the last coordinator he gets to hire...Haley tried with Ben so I think no need for the new OC to even deal with Ben....I want a OC who say we tried it your way Ben we all know it cant work so Retire get cut or get benched ...I not even going to F around with you..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Being in So. Cal, I see plenty of Chargers game. Herbert reminds me of a young Ben. He’s mobile enough to get out of trouble, but always has his eyes down the field looking for open receivers. The kid also has a bazooka for an arm and it’s accurate. I don’t see the same with Mason. He’s serviceable in a Colt McCoy way, but not someone you would want to build a franchise around.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Will never happen. Don't get me wrong it needs to happen but it never will. I have always suspected Ben's hard headedness and general dismay for being coached held him back from being much more successful. I suspect that apart from Haley being a Jerk thats one of the reasons he was let go was cause Ben didn't get along with him and i suspect thats cause he's the only coach to stand up to him for anything besides Cower. But i dont see any way that Tomlin or the Rooneys have the Stones to Bench a future HOF QB given how much they have over placated him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's ironic about something I read this week from a Philly source (posted in some thread on this board) about Carson Wentz. Brought up only because some felt Wentz's game was to Ben's as the start of his career. The report said Wentz did not like being coached, especially in the vid room trying to correct obvious errors he had made.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm glad they are looking into further candidates. But just goes to show you the media has no clue wtf is going on with declaring Canada. Let's hope the Steelers org isn't this disorganized.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Similarities perhaps, and perhaps good coaching can make whatever cream MR has come to the top, but I think Herbert has that 'it' thing, the talent that makes other players around him better...like Rodgers. MR may be serviceable, but feel he needs good to better around him to take it to the next level.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve heard no news about the interview today. I suppose we’ll hear something Monday.

Pep might be a good choice if you’re thinking developing Rudolph and Haskins. He wouldn’t be the QB coach but could still offer his tutelage.

He’s been an OC before with the Colts and also was HC of an XFL team that was supposedly explosive on offense.

Honestly, I’ll be fine with Canada, Jackson or Hamilton. All seem like good choices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Hamilton might be able to help select the proper player, IDing who NOT to, etc.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Given what he has done for the likes of Andrew Luck and now Justin Herbert, Pep Hamilton would be an amazing hire for sure. That said, I really do hope we can keep Canada or find a dedicated QB Coach for I do not want the Offensive Coordinator hamstrung with multiple duties. All this said, I SERIOUSLY want Hank Fraley hired... NOW!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I haven't seen anything in Rudolph either. I don't think he is our next QB, but we drafted him with a 3rd for christ sakes. In the NFL, a 3rd is a high pick that you hope results in a starter. The Steelers need to pair him up with a good OC that will work with him to utilize his strengths. Fitchner was horrible and wasn't the guy for Rudolph. Give him a chance with a good playcaller and a good playbook and lets see what happens. I don't think he's the guy, but I really want to be proven wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I feel like any chance of landing Pep Hamilton hinges on BB not returning.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we are changing the offense, which we are for the simple fact that all the offensive coaches will be new, it has to be a clean break. mason alone will be under a new OC and QB coach most likely. a new TE coach. a new oline coach, a new wr coach possibly. it wont be easy with ben here and trying to teach him a new offense. it wont be one offense for ben and a new one for everyone else. even everything they have taught mason runs through what we have done up to this point. haskins has nothing to work on yet until they make these decisions.

we have three levels of what they heck are we going to do at this point. we sure as heck cant change it all and have to teach ben the new way in one year and expect it to run flawlessly. change it all or change nothing. is it easier to have these young coaches come in and do what we want on offense with ben and hope it improves over what RF did to win 12 games, or we hire someone to change what we dont like about this offense and really want it to improve. right now we have a mess. this is the fault of art, colbert and MT. they need a clear goal and i just dont see it. a different veiw of the same will not improve anything just by bringing in underqualified changes and hope for different results. :cool:

16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Mason reminds me of Neil O'Donnell. OK if everything works - clean pocket, first read gets open - but if anything breaks down, deer in the headlights.

Even his stat line was very Neil-esque:

62%, 6.2 YPA, 13 TD, 9 INT

Neil in 1994:

57%, 6.6 YPA, 13 TD, 9 INT

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hard 2 compare him 2 N. O'Donnell...N.O. played longer...and IMO had better backs ,& better Oc

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s interviewing with the Titans now.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Shouldn't be a hard job....hand 2 Henry....hand it 2 Henry....pitch it 2 Henry.....play action....:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Herbert has vastly more physical talent than Rudolph. I don’t there’s a thing that Rudolph can do physically that Herbert can’t do better. Bigger arm. More accurate. More mobile. Stronger physically to slip away from tacklers. I think Herbert is physically more similar to Josh Allen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Whoever they hire needs to add some pre snap motion

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Then Canada is your guy. He’s the motion man.

• Agree Agree x 1