1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OL COACH THE MOST IMPORTANT HIRE.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Friends this hire the Steelers will be making is the most important
    decision they will make going forward. This person must also be able to get into Kevin Colbert
    Mike Tomlin's ear on who to draft and be able to teach run blocking.
    I look for the Steelers to draft at the very minimum 2 OL this up
    coming draft. We need a return to our identity of running the ball. This running game
    will help out young Qb's and RB that I also see Steelers drafting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can agree. With a aging o line...an aging Qb..., New O line men, and maybe new Rbs ....I can see how an O Line coach can be a major priority. I sure seen after are last good 1 went 2 Denver how fast out oline went 2 hell

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dont forget this goes hand in hand with our new TE coach. yes these two will make or break the run game. ebron doesn't really help the run game. if we lose ike hilliard, that also throws a monkey wrench into the run game. wrs are a big part of the run blocking scheme as well. my suggestion would be some coaches with proven ability and not these guys that are glorified interns. that is MTs MO though.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    A TE that can block is a huge help. Sure wish Miller was a young man again.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I have to ask. What the heck is up with the strange sentence structure in your posts? Are you doing that on purpose?

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree that the O line went to hell and Sarrett was definitely not a good fit, but I also think there is far more to it than just losing Munch. It starts with talent on the line with ability, I think the drop off we have seen is as much the line aging as anything else. When Munch was here the highest the O line ever achieved was 14th in the league, the other years they were around 16th and one year were actually 29th (I believe this was run offence) as protecting Ben was always the the priority. My point is our memories get skewed because during those years we had a top back as well. Who (at least by appearances) was our best lineman this year, I would say Dotson..a rookie. Nearly every vid I have watched shows him getting better push than the others, so was it a lousy coach that made the vets worse and the 4th round rookie pick better? Not defending Sarrett, but I do think the issue beyond the coach (and yes a very good one is needed), is the whole scheme. From the OC, OL coach, aging line, and RB's that are average you get the crap show we witnessed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Should have promoted Munch years ago, then he wouldn't have had to make up that "family" excuse for making a lateral move. He'd still have the OL under his wing and know who to hire to run it full time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think this is backwards. I mean, what good will the best OL coach, the best RB, and the best players period on offense do if the guy who's driving the bus is an idiot? I would think the OC, you know, the guy who is supposed to be in charge, would run his offense that he was hired to run with the coaches and players he needs to run it with. So you're OL coach will go over the head of his boss, the OC, and coordinate the overall personnel strategy with the GM and HC, while the OC is doing what? And if or when the offense falls apart, who gets the blame? The OL coach, the OC, MT, KC? Accountability is always top down otherwise there wouldn't be coordinators or HC"s. If I was the OC, I'd be the one hiring my position coaches because I am responsible for the offensive performance and I, therefore, want to pick the most talented that is available to make me look good.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    was surratt really given the ability to make it his own or was he told who to play and where and said make it work. i think he was a scapegoat. MT wanted banner. so surratt was forced to give the only spot he was able to play at to him, RT. thus forcing feiler out of position to RG. dotson clearly outplayed him there but was overruled.

we lost finney and wisniewski(sp?) and banner early on. JC was not really a thought until then. chuks was not a RT clearly, but forced into that spot. hawkins was brought in just for money reasons and familiarity. they let gray get pilfered after one game and two seasons of time here. DeCastro has not really been healthy in two years. pouncey is a shell of himself. the carousel at RG did AV no justice. so does the blame squarely fall on surratt? im thinking his hands were somewhat tied. he learned under munch too. something smells about this.

why are we looking at a young hank fraley? is he the new tomlin colbert yes man to fix this now and keeping klemm? the same old, this is who we want you to use now make it work approach is getting tiresome. why would you hire a Oline coach before you hire an OC? something about all of this is just wrong on so many levels. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I never said that OL coach would/should be hired first, I said
    it would be the most important hire. Got to be able to run ball effectively
    and understand/ and be able to teach run blocking and get the players you need to do this.
    This is a team concept that hopefully coaches and players are all on the same page, The OC&OL coach
    better be on the same page about our running game. We are in a very physical division where bad weather
    is a possibility and TOP could really benefit a young QB. Put on the big boy pants and beat that man across from you.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It all starts in the trenches...

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not this again. It wasn't a made up excuse, he literally has family that lives in Denver area. He wasn't gonna stay regardless. I really don't understand why so many people view this guy as a lost savior.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I remember when Munch left and this unknown Sarrett was promoted, there was a " buzz "...Everyone was so worried to lose such a great OL Coach...

Then I seen the articles come out..." This guy is a sponge, very credible, likeable, inovative ideas " Just hasn't been given a chance, and he's gonna shine!

He didn't shine but why?.Was Munch that much better than him,or was the Sarrett thing smoke?

Or...Was it what my eyes were seeing..That Big Al, Free Hernandez,DD, and to a lesser extent Feiler seemingly turn into Dog**** overnight!

From an organizational standpoint, I'm still pissed about losing Fred Johnson, Finney, and Derwin Gray...I actually liked all 3...

I thinking the next hire will be more of the tenured/ old grizzly like / no BS OL Coach , as opposed to an up and comer

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I had a really bad feeling about Sarrett from the start. Just looking at the guy he didn't look like he was capable of leading or teaching anything. Could easily have plugged him into the starting lineup.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe we can lure Russ Grimm out of retirement? Remember how that guy was hot sh*t for awhile and then after not being chosen for the Steelers HC job he basically disappeared into oblivion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The OC is the most important hire an offense will make because its HIS OFFENSE and he is accountable to his boss how it performs, as well as to us fans. The OC should be the one hiring the OL coach who best supports his Offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    All this debate... everyone knows that the long snapper coach is the most important hire.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not advocating for Sarrett at all, and take this info from PFF for what's it is worth, but the Steeler line was right about where they were all the years Munch was here, Denver was at 25. All I am saying is while the OL coach is an important hire, especially if we are retooling with a lot of younger guys....it is the overall scheme, vision, lack of talent and yes age that has crept up on them.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    He had a horrible interview as I recall

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Some people will find any reason to attack the Steelers organization.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 be honest...that's who I wanted as Hc when Cowher left ( R. Grimm)...but I wanted Robert Gallery over Ben in the draft ...So....shows what I know:shrug:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

thats why you have been banned from any draft talk for at least 25 years. :lolol::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Starting to think, the Roonies are having a hrd time finding a OL coach, I havnt heard of them bringing anyone else in besides the guy from Det.............

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't really know that many being available. Watch it will end up being a college coach.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Very important hire, agreed. Looks like they know it too, they’re looking.

• Like Like x 1