1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben has ruined the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    goes without saying he's a legend and all of that. But he should have been gone after the 2018 season, he had a sore elbow, signed an extension, elbow poops itself, wasted a year of the defense, drove away Antonio Brown, Has way too much input into team operations and game planning on offense, is not coachable, ran his mouth to the media about teammates, and looked down right awful the vast majority of the 2020 season. Can only run shotgun. He has a real likelihood of playing in 2021 and he's only gonna be worse physically and will have a new OC that i'm sure he will not get along with. Thankful for the good years, but i think a release or retirement this offseason is the best way to move forward if you are the Steelers

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    AB drove AB away, don’t make excuses for that pile of trash.

Before he injured his elbow, wasn’t Ben coming off one of his best seasons ever? They had no one else so there was really no choice not to extend him and playing at a high level still.

They should make the decision for him if he try’s to come back, that money would be put to good use.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    i stopped reading once you said chased away AB. Ben may have ruined the steelers but you sir just ruined this thread with that statement.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    AB almost certainly had / has mental health issues. We cannot blame Ben for that.

Neither do I think he ruined the Steelers. I really wanted him to come back this year and I am glad that he did. That said, I think it’s best for everyone concerned if he retires now. The team is almost certainly going to regress due to free agent losses and the cap, new OC and new system, new offensive line etc. I cannot think of one single reason for him to come back for what is likely to be an ugly season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    No our FO has done more damage than Ben. When Favre was still playing well, the Packers drafted Rodgers, regardless of whose feelings will be hurt. Rodgers is playing very well and they drafted Jordan Love, regardless of whose feelings will be hurt. We should have done the same.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agreed! Mental midget with unbelievable talent.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steelers304.

Ben is still our best chance of winning. Again, what some do not get here is that this was Major Reconstructive Surgery. This is not a one-year healing job. Yes, he was good enough to play but not to "carry" the team. Even with a never injured elbow we still were an "Imbalanced" Offense with no Running Game to speak of. A recipe for failure.

Football 101 folks. "Balanced Offense". Elbow Injury or no elbow injury it did not matter. It was going to catch up with us. If we had established a running game this season, things would have been different. So for all of those that want to continuously blame Ben for the "Ruining" of this season you folks are barking up the wrong tree.

If you want to point the "Ruin" finger at anyone look no further than the Coaching Staff for not accounting for our lousy Running Game which is connected to the horrific O-line and possibly Conner. I say possibly Conner because maybe he can be successful with a decent O-Line. Folk's beef here should be in this order:

Management > Head Coach > O-Line Coach > O-line > Maybe RB.

My bet is Ben will be back. His arm will be so much better as it continues to heal and rehab. We will have "hopefully" fixed our O-Line issues and maybe or maybe not find an upgrade to the Running Back position. If these things can happen and the Defense can come back intact, with a healthy Bush and Dupree, I look for a much more successful season. We are not that far from a Super Bowl win folks and for that to happen must include a more healthier Ben and an effective running Game.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    A sign of a great GM is knowing when to sell your asset when it still has value. We road the Ben horse until there’s nothing left and now we find we don’t have a replacement. I hope I’m wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Wishful thinking. Ben is another year older, one of the most abused QB's in the league, one of the laziest QB's in the league, Had MAJOR MAJOR surgery on his throwing elbow and your expecting him to be back better than ever? Come on man thats just wishing for older glory days. This thinking (more like hoping and dreaming) is why we are staring this situation in the face right now!

Oh i also forgot in addition to all that above Ben will cost us between 1/4 to 1/5 of our cap next year to have on this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015

I agree new O-Line coach, and O line players. RB is more than a maybe, they need a feature back. not a role player at best kinda guy like conner. No Snells or mcfarlands. every other team in the division has at least 1 stud RB on the team and they are difference makers. They have good lines(not the bengals but mixon still seems to do pretty well), but they can still make people miss and break tackles for home runs even if the play seems over. Like Nick Chubb for example. (This board loves to sell feature backs short. They forget Steelers history I suppose.)

Ben's ailments seemed to be more than an elbow. His elbow could be feeling awful or better than ever, we don't know. His knee was supposedly bad, He only practices two times a week and that was before the elbow. Just kinda going through the motions. His timing with the receivers are suspect. He throws BAD interceptions. He dug the Steelers into a 28-0 hole (could have dove on the bad snap) against the browns. Mason took the browns to the wire the week prior. Ben reminds me a senior NCO in the Army a year or two away from retirement just happy to collect the check, not looking to further progress his career. Just happy to throw it around for 2 days in practice and try to wing it come game time

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Pretty much sums it up. They made a mistake with Woodson (chance you take), not so with Hines and Troy. They went all in with Ben after he was wishy washy about retirement. He came off one of his best seasons, but you still have to evaluate the business side of every transaction. Traditionally QB's that late, even the best start having a huge drop in production at that age. Brady, Brees, and a few others are not the measure you need to go by. I am not saying it was even wrong to keep him, it was to invest that amount of guaranteed money. I know it's the metric of going rates, but you have to factor in all the metrics...and in hind sight that is poor fiscal management.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Top 9 in Tds. Thrown
    A. Rodgers 48 Tds 5 ints
    R. Wilson 40 .....13
    T.B. 40 ......12
    P. Mahomes. 38 .....6
    J. Allen. 37....10
    K. Cousins. 35.....13
    D. Watson 33.....7
    R. Tannehil . 33...7
    B. Roethlisberger 33...10
    Yet he ruined the season?
    Let the man play out his contract.... go from there.
    Also 4 got 2 add... Only player in the bunch coming off major surgery.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Well they did draft Rudolph which hurt Ben's feelings. But it's obviously up in the air if he could ever be a starter. Although same could be said for Love.

14. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think he didn't do us any favors with such a huge contract at that point in his career maybe management is guilty for offering it or paying it. 60 + mil for a guy with diminishing skills and at 36.
    I know someone will say wouldn't you get as much as you could, the problem with that argument is most of us are I would guess are middle class and a few extra bucks makes a difference in our lives. What does an extra 20 mil assuming he could of played for 40 for 2 years not 60+, what difference does that make does it change his lifestyle his future plans. By then he had probably made well over a 100 mil.
    For all the finding Jesus stuff its still just greed on Ben's part and stupidity on managements part.
    Its his contract that is like an anchor on the current version of the Steelers.

15. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Am I just missing something or is the Ben cap situation not that bad? If he gets cut it's only a $20 million hit giving you a net $20 to go find a replacement. That should get you at least a middling QB. Even if we just sucked it up and tried to work with Mason for a season or 2, you're saving quite a bit. If he signs the papers, we're completely off the hook right? We're still on teh hook: https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Ben's pros still outweigh his cons. One of my favorite Steelers of all time. Want him back until he can't beat out the qb competition. One more shot next year for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can we cut Ben and go after Prescott?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Certainly not this year and probably not ever. TJ will be making near QB money soon and they’ll have to pay Minkah a market setting contract too. Need a QB on a rookie deal for the next 4-5 years. Finding the right one is the problem

19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So, we won't be competitive anytime soon? ... smh. Unless, we get lucky and find a diamond in the ruff

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Not necessarily. QB is the big one to solve but I think they’ll have a good draft position in 2022. Get the line and some depth in place this year, draft your guy next year when Ben is presumably gone. Their cap situation will be dramatically better then too, they may even be able to sign some impact free agents.

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    For those who saying you can win without having an elite QB...Look at the 4 teams left.... They're the 4 best in the league imo

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph is better than Roethlisberger at this point. We beat Browns with starters and Rudolph at QB in wildcard. I know it's blasphemy around here, but it's the truth. I'm tired of fans' excuses for Tomlin and Roethlisberger.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers did do the same they drafted Mason Rudolph.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah let's pay Prescott 35 million or more, and he's coming off a major injury :facepalm:.

25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    That's why I want Watson.