1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Steelers interviewing Hank Fraley for OL job

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Report: Steelers interviewing Hank Fraley for OL job

Posted by Charean Williams on January 20, 2021

The Steelers are interviewing Hank Fraley for their vacant offensive line coach job, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports.

The Steelers are not renewing the contract of offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett.

Fraley, 43, held the same job with the Lions last season.

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/20/steelers-interviewing-hank-fraley-for-ol-job/

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am not sure what to make of someone who never seems to get greater responsibilities (OL coach) regardless of level of football over such a long time. Maybe that is all he wants to do?

3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't know about this one. I guess I have to just "trust" that the Steelers know what they're doing. Trust is in short supply with this group though

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Knew there had to be a Pitts connection, it always seems to be the thing around here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t know anything about him but supposedly he did a very good job in Detroit with a patchy line.

I just hope that whoever comes in can make an impact. You never know how these things will go

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Read that he was from area n immediately disappointed. He might be great, but can they look at someone from outside the area??....

Ridiculous, IMO

Good news they might be getting new coaches next year from HC down so

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers are like the mafia at this point. In order to get a job here you have to be part of the family, friends with the Godfather, or wait for the guy in front of you to get wacked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    He kind of looks like Shaun Sarrett which isn’t a good omen

11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I knew letting Munchak walk would prove to be a huge difference maker with the Steelers Oline but I had no idea that it would become this bad. Hope they don't hire someone from 5-11 cellar dweller.:facepalm:

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Steelers really had no say in Munchak leaving, he was moving to the Denver area job or no job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If they had offered him a promotion, who knows.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People should read up on the guy before condemning the pick. He seems to have Munchak characteristics where he can get all sorts of talent level to play well. Thats what he did at Detroit.

Supposedly the situation in Detroit is bad and wants out and would take a lateral move. Sound familiar?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Hope you're right. Lord knows they need the help

16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    O Line performance can only go up.

90 yards average rushing per game is a success.

17. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Just read up on the littler information out there for Hank Fraley. Wasn't really all that impressed. Just really an ex player who signed with the Steelers in 2000 as an UDFA and then waived. Claimed off Waivers by Philadelphia. Signed by the Browns 2006 - 2010. Signed by the Rams 2010, released 2011. Bounced around coaching in college and the NFL til 2020. During the 3 years with the Lions their overall record was 14-33-1. A big no thank you from this fan. He is from Maryland so MT will probably sing his praises.

Steelers need to find some serious talent and start looking for proven coaches instead of career journeymen.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No point really, just the Stats from last season.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t know he was the HC at Detroit.

Don’t actually pay attention to the job he did with the line. Thats silly!

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Detroit fans do not want to lose him anyway if that is any indication of his credentials. Wasn’t following them much this season but by all accounts they had a lot of chopping and changing with injuries on the line and he kept them very solid and competitive. De’Andre Swift was one of the top rookie backs too once he got going.

PFF had them as the no. 13 line in the league, and refer to the personnel shuffling and injuries they had to deal with. I think a guy like this that seemingly can get more done with less might be ideal for the Steelers actually

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

• Like Like x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we shall see. im not against him at all. he left when the new staff came to detroit. klemm has stayed here so there is a little familiarity. a little college and a little pro, plus a decent player in his day, so this might all be a good thing. :cool:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And I think ranked 11th last year and had turnover plus shuffling this year like you said and maintained a good line.

23. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I never said he was. Obviously part of Matt Patricia's failing but he still attributed to a putrid record for them. Like I said, he comes from Maryland so he will probably be given the keys to our Oline solely on that credential alone. Overall, he hasn't been very productive during his playing days nor in his overall coaching career. The Steelers need to look towards more successful long term organizations for team coaches or we will just keep treading in the water.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So far, the only two names linked to the Steelers’ offensive coordinator job have been Matt Canada and now Jackson. A report yesterday indicated Pittsburgh wouldn’t hire a coordinator until filling their offensive line coach vacancy. The Steelers have an interview set with former Lions’ OL coach Hank Fraley today

25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Aside from New England (who have plenty of their own issues now), who are the more successful organisations that they should look to?

Not trying to be facetious, but coaches from say the chiefs are not going to take a sideways job in Pittsburgh, and even if they would they won’t bring Mahomes with them to make it all work.

By all accounts this guys resume is fine, he has done a good job at another franchise with modest resources. His career as a player is irrelevant, most great coaches didn’t play at the highest level.