1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Frank Gore

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Jball, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Frank is a Hall of Famer, right? He may be done.

Is he a 1st ballot Hall of Famer?(He is to me)

Just a refresher:

Lifetime stats= 16,000 yards (4.3 ypc)rushing(3rd all time), with 81 TD's, and 4000 yards receiving, with 18 TD's.

Guy had 10 seasons of 1000+ yards rushing.

Consummate professional through and through. One of my favorites since he was the man with the Hurricanes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    He will be but he is waiting a very long time. While he has had a great career, not once did I ever consider him a Top Five Back during his peak years; doubly so when Adrian Peterson came onto the scene.

3. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    yes, he's a Hall of Famer. He's a compiler rather than a superstar, but plenty of people have made it to the HOF on career value. As mentioned, he has high character values which is becoming harder to find these days. Given the increasingly shorter careers of running backs, he won't be passed by many any time soon. He won't get in the first ballot- which could be crowded by Rivers and Ben that year, come to think of it. But he will make it, quicker than Bettis did.

One of the things you have to do in assessing any Hall of Fame election probabilities is to remember that you aren't the ones voting. You have to try to assess how the people who do vote will go. And I believe those voters will find him an appealing candidate.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Easy hall of famer. Whether he’s first-ballot depends a lot on who else becomes eligible at the same time. I wouldn’t rule it out.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He’s definitely a compiler, but as I look at his numbers he’s actually been better than I thought. He has a 1695 yd season in ‘06. He had 9 1000 yd seasons and barely missed on 2 more (both 960+ yds). He played in one Super Bowl and rushed for more than 100 in it. He’s scored 100 TDS, everyone else who’s done that is in the Hall or will be, He had a great 10 yrs in SF and several serviceable ones afterward. So I guess that puts him in Canton. First ballot, no. But he gets in.

He played this yr in the NFL, at the same his kid was playing college ball at Miami. That by itself should get you in.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Speaking of borderline HOF rb's, and no to hijack my own thread, but I was looking at Ahman Green's stats. I didn't remember him having a 5 year run like he did from 2000-2004.

6848 rushing yards(4.6 ypc) for 48 td's
    282 catches for 2188 yds (avg 56 catches for 440 yards per season) for 13 td's.

That is quite a 5 year run. Funny, he spent the '98 and '99 seasons with Seattle and only got 61 rush attempts in 2 years. But avg 5.3 ypc. So he lost two prime rushing years sitting behind Ricky Watters. He was traded to GB for Fred Vinson, who blew out his knee in pre-season during a pick up basketball game and that was that. Green though, only had 650 yards rushing total in his last 3 seasons. So, in 5 years(1st two and last three), he had less than 1000 yards. Yet he still finished with 9200 rushing yards, and almost 3000 yards receiving, with 74 total td's.

Not saying he's HOF, but his numbers were better than I remember. Everything in GB at that time was about Favre.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes he is a HOF'er...year he gets in depends on those also on the ballot. I do not necessarily buy the adding to his stats thing. Regardless of who you are, you still have to be productive, there are only 53 roster spots and if you cannot help a team that roster spot is going to someone who can. Gore's ypc were down the last 2 years, but still produced on a very bad team.

I have read some posts on the Bus and how they did not feel he should be in the HOF (please) because he just stayed around to pad his stats. In the last 3 years I think he only added around 1000 yards (real stat building), but in a p/t role was integral in short yardage and goal line offence. The message there is more than the actual production in the field, but what these guys bring to the locker room as well, that leadership cannot be measured by stats.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's why i struggled with Tyrell Davis getting in, his first 4 years were sensational, then 3 years of injuries. His total numbers are not HOF worthy, so if we are going on spurts in careers why not open the door for everyone who was good for 4-5 years? It is the hall of great, not the hall of good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Hard nosed tough ass dude, love his style. To last that long at running back is insane. Guys like him are a dying breed at rb. For sure hall of famer, who knows when though.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny thing is, I thought he was made of glass early in his career. He played most games in the season and always produced, but I remember him always being really banged up. Then he missed a bunch of games on year, and I thought his decline was beginning. Wow, was I ever wrong. Dude is an ironman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I read that he hurt both knees in college too. He also struggled with a learning disability. Great story all around.