1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler staying

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 14, 2021.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    good. That man has produced more pro bowl defensive stars than any coach on this team. back to back top 5 defense w/ little depth is impressive. Hopefully the front office can step it up getting us talent behind the starters. Outside of Highsmith we have no young up and comers ready to replace a starter if they become injured or move on. That's a problem as we quickly found out this season and every other season. I'm not a Spillane fan. I think he's fine as a back up to Vince but he's not a starter and he's not capable of pass coverage. He's usually blown off the ball and racks up tackles 4-5 yards down field. We need LB's that can attack the ball. outside of Williams and Bush we have nothing on the inside. Watt and Bud had Highsmith. Now Bud is likely gone and we have no depth behind them.

I cant remember an offseason were we need more new talent then this. You can't possibly plug all of these holes in one offseason. Which means we have to stay healthy or next year will be ugly.

3. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    If Tomlin is calling the defense why do we even need Butler?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Need a fall man in case we allow 40+ again haha

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Dadgummit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope in his 6th season that he figures out not to put a LB on the other teams best WR.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Honest question - why can't we ever scheme it so opponents' LBs are covering our WRs?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Rivers, is that you?

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Why is this though? I know he did it in the chargers game too so it’s not all on Tomlin. Is it because of the package we are in? I’m assuming they don’t want to go dime because we can’t stop the run?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because, Tomlin sucks at it

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably caught in their base defense trying to stop Chubbs and playing zone coverage. Underneath stuff is easy and get mismatches with LB’s on WR’s.

Benny, I’m sure it does happen, it just sticks out more when it happens too us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Find me a team that doesn't ask their LB's to occasionally cover WR's and I'll give you a prize.

If a LB isn't in coverage on a pass play what the hell is he suppose to do? We running 7 or 8 man blitzes every play?

If the LB doesn't cover the guy closest to him, then the safety has to come up and cover... if the offense moves around to get that match up then someone needs to cover them. You can't always be in a dime or quarter... what happens if they run? you will be asking why are we asking our DB's to stop running back when they rack up 200 yards on the ground.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?!?!

Why wasn't this figured out in 2018??!?!?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    In Claypool’s 4 TD game against the Eagles it definitely happened. Some poor LB got caught in solo coverage on Claypool and it ended poorly for the Eagles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    How hard is it to say if they come out with X package and we have the wrong personnel on the field, we fall back to man to man and the corners and safeties match up on pre determined wideouts? Then our linebackers can help in coverage or pass rush or QB spy or whatever....if they beat man to man, so be it, but the truth is they are beating the linebackers anyway so who cares. This isnt this hard. The offense can only have 5 maximum players in routes, we have 11 defenders.....someone call me a rocket scientist!!!! SMMFH!!!!!!

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Nothing wrong with lbers in coverage against tight ends and running backs, but to consistently have them on the other teams best wr is stupid. If your lb is not making tackles in the run game or making plays in the passing game (vw) what's the use? You might as well be in nickle or dime because the lb you have on the field is doing neither. Butler needed to go. He's only good when we have first rounders at all the positions and if not it's always an excuse.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. It is rarely, if ever, man coverage. I think we see it more in games that Butler/Tomlin feel they have to protect their cornerbacks, which made a little sense with Haden out. That said, they needed to make some sort of adjustment and failed to do it, as is often the case. Keeping Butler is a bad idea, but they just keep on doing it.

18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    We do it to other teams, but I don't know that I've watched it happen over and over and over. When the Browns are running 13 (1 RB, 3 TE), they have one WR on the field, and we're still covering with a LB.

Tomlin was asked about it, said we didn't execute, which means it's probably his D and he's too stubborn/stupid to adjust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Who? Tomlin?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Get rid of all coaching staff personnel. If not, then prepare to embrace the suck again next year.

21. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    So we can get excited about all the future HOF'ers we draft in the spring then enjoy another promising start to the season only get our balls stepped on again.

It might be easier to root for a team with less talent then it is to root for a talented team that finishes as poorly as the Steelers lately.

But like most on here every draft pick will bring that hope that they will all be great and glory days are back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    They made the announcement 2 years ago that Butler was going to be focusing on the LB position after they got rid of Porter.

Can't complain about the LB development in the last 2 years with Butler in charge; turned Bud into an All Pro and Bush was developing right behind him.