1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lions apparently offer GM gig to Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Jan 13, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Should this happen, it would serve this franchise right pissing around so long with the talent it had but an incompetent coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This makes no sense?

Why would he want to go to Detroit when he has been flirting with retiring the last 2 years?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    $$$ can make people do lots of things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    $$, control, new challenge vs same old. There are always reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A born and raised Pittsburgh guy?

Whole family is probably in Pittsburgh? Unless he has kids in Detroit?

6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe he likes to fish and it's closer to Canada? That's all I've got.

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    He worked for the Lions previously. So while born and raised here, he's lived elsewhere.

8. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Throw in Ben as a "sweetener." :smiley1:

9. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Maybe he’s ready to get rid of Mike and Rooney won’t let him. It’s his way to move on from coach cliche.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    What might be contributing here is the “kick the salary cap can down the road” show that we’ve been doing.

The rebuild is here and the cap situation has come to roost. Maybe Colbert has known he wants out of that, and thats where the retirement whispers are from.

However - Colbert is from Pittsburgh. He is actually old and experienced enough to really consider retirement. He has done this for 20 years. He is 64. I just don’t get the Detroit thing.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Remember last year when the Redskins were going to give us two firsts for Tomlin? It turned out to be total BS

This feels like something similar. The Tomlin rumour made more sense actually given that he is from there and his son is in college up there

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Did not read the article, but wanted to state something in general related to your title. I AM VERY CONCERNED that our team will be looked at as a broken vehicle that you strip for parts. Other teams are circling us like vultures and if they woo away enough management and players who figure we are a rebuild project, it will be a VERY UGLY situation for years.

Just ask yourself. What would you do if you were TJ Watt and after the 2021 season we looked like a broken team with no hope? He looks to me like a guy who wants to win as much as get paid. He might leave us for a contender.

This is why finding a franchise QB is so critical. We got to draft Ben only because we had a bad year. I hate to say it, but the best thing that could happen to us is Ben retires, Rudolph does horribly, we draft a franchise QB after the 2021 season. Before that happens, this draft we need to draft O-line.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The retirement card gives Colbert the upper hand. As long as he's happy with the year-to-year contract, why would he lock himself in long term.
    He's only 64, I doubt he actually plans on retiring any time soon. He's keeping his options open.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There's plenty of GM's out there older than 64.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Colbert is under contract until after the 2021 draft. If the Lions contacted him or made an offer, they are guilty of tampering. If they want him as their next GM, they either have to wait until after the draft or get permission from the Steelers. No team is going to want to wait until after the draft to hire a new GM. Getting permission would likely involve compensation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ends in May

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Did I not read somewhere lately that Colbert had agreed an extension in to 2022

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Tells you what he thinks about the immediate future in Pittsburgh.

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    OK Einstein, whatever you say. I interpreted his comment as, well, less than serious. But, as usual, you are just too smart for the rest of us. Well, at least in your own personal echo chamber.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Read something yesterday he is the front runner for the Carolina job, not surprising. I do wonder if the Rooney has missed an opportunity. Colbert has been under 1 year contracts and they just renewed. If they wanted Kahn (who knows), then they should have elevated him and given Colbert a specific timeline (he would have left after the draft this year). The problem with one year deals is not advancing a long term vision. We have been in 'this is our year" mentality for 3-4 years now. In reality we in need of a rebuild, you cannot do that with a year to year GM.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/omar-khan-out-of-the-running-for-panthers-gm-job/

Well so much for Khan to Panthers lmao...

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Wrong. Khan didn't even make it to the second round of interviews in Carolina. This guy has been on several interviews throughout the years and has never gotten the job so something must be lacking. But I fully expect the Steelers to make the mistake.

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    just edited with the link