1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson wanted Khan in Houston

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Apparently he was very upset the Texans pivoted to the guy they hired. Seems they were a lot closer to signing Kahn than we knew and suddenly changed direction.

With reports that the Lions are trying to lure Colbert away and Khan believed to be next in line for GM, I wonder if that would increase the odds of the Steelers making a move for Watson.

I know people are going to say they can’t pul it off but short of not being able to sign Watt, you do whatever it takes to get him.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-c...n-houston-lions-trying-to-lure-kevin-colbert/

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d love it but we don’t have the draft capital. If he comes to Pittsburgh we’ll face the same problem the Texans do, a weakened roster and no picks or cap to build around him.

Miami is the only franchise with the capital to do it without completely mortgaging their future. Trade would probably look like two first rounders this year including the third overall, and their first rounder next year plus Tua. That might work out for both parties. Jets might be able to do something similar but Tua is a much more attractive proposition than Darnold given their contracts.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Three first-round picks plus the quarterback they took No. 5 overall this season? I just don't see the Dolphins giving up that much for a guy who also has a massive contract. Watson's salary isn't insane for 2021, but it is over $35 million the following two seasons. Miami has cap room, but I doubt they want to lock in that much and give up the equivalent of four first-round picks.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm sorry but the guy is a glorified accountant, not a GM. Hiring him would be a mistake.

5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Don't want Watson, too expensive, seems like he wants too much control over the organization, not a winner, more of a stat piler.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    You could be right, but quarterbacks like Watson in their prime are rarely traded so it’s hard to gauge. Texans will want a huge haul, if somebody really wants him they’ll have to overpay, and Tua is unproven as yet

Not an option for the Steelers in any case, realistically. I don’t see how you could package up a deal that makes sense for the Texans or Steelers

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, we’ve been through this and you have no idea if that’s true. Considering that Houston was that close to hiring him and he appears to be in line to succeed Colbert, I’d say you are wrong.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I mean they can hire him but I don't think it will work out well. When Colbert was hired years ago, he had Cowher to help him identify the players he wanted. Tomlin has no clue what he wants.

And also to add, I seriously doubt Watson even knows who Khan is to be passionate about him as a candidate.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We don’t know what it would take but I’d be open to a lot. You could spend the next 10 years looking for a QB and not find one nearly as good as Watson.

Steelers are in such a better position than Houston, Steelers have weapons that Houston doesn’t and they have a defense. If he could play as well as he did behind his line, he could certainly do it here and with better WR’s.

I’m not one that thinks this team needs a major rebuild. Oline needs some work and a RB mostly. Those things are much easier to find then a QB.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    According to the article, he was pretty passionate about it.

11. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    It’s great we have a guy like Omar Khan in the wings.

However, the single most important person to our success the last 20 years is... Kevin Colbert. Hard to debate in my opinion. Why do we always have star talent? Kevin Colbert is why.

Colbert would be a loss. However, he’s considering retirement so I am not sure taking a new rebuilding job in another city is accurate?

12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Khan, TJ, and Watson is good to place to start...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I’m not sure about any of these reports but it’s fun to speculate.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Interesting take. Nevermind the notion that he wants his stats; simply untrue. The McNair Family has a very distorted view on how to build a competent team; giving all the power to Bill O Brian being just the tip of a very high, treacherous mountain. Alienating players because of issues that are very much real world problems is another. Bill O Brian essentially causing sabotage was likely the last straw for many players within the organization down in Houston. Why else would someone like J.J. Watr indirectly speak out against the McNair Family?!

In short?! Give me DeShaun Watson over Mason Rudolph multiplied by infinity and beyond. DeShaun can literally fix up to 90% of the Offenses issues by himself. In addition, the Rooney's and Mike Tomlin will be essentially Football Heaven in comparison to Houston.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't see Colbert going to the Lions. He's more likely to retire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    If you could stand still on all those things yes, absolutely. But if you drop Watson’s huge salary on the Steelers cap sheet and then remove all the picks it will take to acquire him what kind of defence and weapons will be left in say three years time? Can they pay Watt and Minkah while carrying Watsons salary

I don’t know Blast, I’d love to have him under center and it would solve many problems, but we can’t just disregard the ones it would create either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Everyone surrounding Deshaun Watson claims he’s a winner. He’s a great young talent. If we have a chance to get him for 10-12 years for 2 firsts (with some throw-in swaps) then jump at that.

My literal only concern with Watson is that we punt on the possibility of having a franchise QB on a rookie contract whilst having a stacked roster. That is the GOLD STANDARD situation in the NFL.

However... a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Especially w QBs

18. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Matthew Stafford wants out of Detroit that would be an immediate upgrade he's a baller and Johnson, Washington and Claypool would be a three headed Monster a possibly be one of the NFL'S greatest receiving Corps.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, all good points and I definitely would be holding my breath that things improve the following season and the cap goes up.

I saw that, also an intriguing possibility but he’s older and wouldn’t want to give up a lot to get him but for fair value, that could be a good solution, too.

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s my concern too. Look at the AFC divisional round, three of the four quarterbacks playing are on cost controlled rookie contracts, and the other one is Patrick Mahomes who signed a team friendly deal with a low 2020 cap hit

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I wonder about that too. Does a QB get to know an asst front office guy in another city? Is there some other link between the two? Khan’s been in Pitt since 2001, when Watson was 6 yrs old. So it’s not clear that there’s any history between them. Or is Watson just trying to make his point about not being involved in the process, by advocating for the guy, any guy, that the organization didn’t hire?

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I think it's the latter. And obviously diversity hiring is high on the list these days. I think to the owners point he hires a research firm to find the best candidate to be GM and he's maybe skeptical that the top two choices are minority candidates. Like are they the best candidates or are they just trendy hires? Not saying that makes it right because they very well could be the best but maybe what he's thinking?

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If the Steelers can pull it off, of course they have to take Watson. He's an elite quarterback. You don't pass on those. I just don't think it will happen.

Their first-round pick this season is late, 24th overall. With Watson, they aren't picking high the following season, either. I bring this up because I'm assuming any package for Watson would start with a couple of first-round picks. Maybe they ask for the Steelers' second-rounder as well, but I'm still not sure that would be enough to land Watson. I doubt Rudolph has any real value.

It's fun to think about him on this team, even with depleted drafts for a year or two, but I just can't see it.

24. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Check out what actually happened. The organization agreed when he asked to give input, turns out the Texans were the *only* team not to interview Bienemy and backed out on his GM preference as well. Several other players have confirmed all this including their old WR Andre Johnson who's been acting as an advisor.

You're nuts if you think he's a stat padder, the guy has been playing with heart all season on a gutless, loser team run by a loser front office.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Another career losing stat-padder. Talk to Lions' fans about Stafford.