1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Press Conference Wednesday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    MT is having a press conference at noon Wednesday. Anyone up for a game of “guess the cliches?”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  2. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    We can hope he’s announcing his retirement. :beg::beg::beg::beg::beg:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    That was my first thought when I heard about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    "Hey Mike, why do you suck so bad?"

"It is what it is. We're holding ourselves accountable. We've already put it behind us and we're moving forward. We're gonna go ahead and maintain the status quo around here, which is excellence. That's how we deal with that. Next question."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I have to admit...I try to be chicken little and catastrophize worst case scenarios but I did not see the Steelers losing to Blake Bortles and a Browns lite team in the playoffs. I think Im still in shock. lol

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He keeps saying we this and we that. Who the hell is we. Maybe he has a mouse in his pocket?

7. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    It would wrap the off-season for me. I wouldn’t care what else happened I’d consider it a win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't forget Tebow too :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    At least relieve someone of their duties. But for the Steelers probably too early for that.

10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I hope someone presses him about these jaw dropping stats....

-Over their last eight games, including Sunday night, the Steelers were outscored 55-6 in the first quarter. Pittsburgh’s only points came on a defensive score, Joe Haden’s pick six against Robert Griffin III and the Baltimore Ravens. Chris Boswell missed the extra point.

– On the Steelers’ first possession over the last two years, defenses have more TDs (2) than the Steelers’ offense has trips to the end zone (1). The Steelers’ lone offensive TD came this season against the Tennessee Titans. The two defensive scores came last year against the Rams and Sunday night versus the Browns. Both bad snaps by Maurkice Pouncey that sailed over the QBs head and recovered by the defense

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't necessarily want Tomlin gone. Though, part of me wants change for the sake of change at this point. Next year Tomlin will have been here as long as Bill. I was ready for Bill to leave as well. Sometimes change is good, even if everything isn't terrible. But, it just so happens that we are at a natural conclusion to an era right now. Change feels very natural at this point. Like all involved need a fresh start.

All that being said, I know he'll be back and I can live with that. But, they need to mix things up and bring some new assistants along.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  12. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Hopefully he leaves so we can go get Gase or O’Brien. Maybe even Kitchens. Maybe we can coax the Tequila Cowboy back. How about Pederson? We should probably just start changing out the coaches after every few losses.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was thinking the same thing today. When Noll retired he was not fired, he was that the entire coaching staff needed replaced (Joe Greene exempt), Chuck just felt it was time. There was talent on that team, Cowher's first year they went 11-5. MT is not getting fired, but sometimes a change is the right way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Add Tim Tebow and Andy Dalton to that list. Yes, I know we technically beat Cinci in that game, but we didn't do anything to actually win that game. Cinci literally melted down and gave it to us. Our play wasn't good enough that game to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I really wonder if anything of any significance will come out of this press conference.

Tomlin is very fortunate he coaches in a city where the local media pitches him softballs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I really hope he is announcing his retirement. But, I doubt it.
    Despite getting to the playoffs 6 times in the last 10 years, they have a combined three wins. One of those wins was due to Cincinnati collapsing and committing dumb penalties. Another win (the last one they had), the offense didn't score a single point, and they would have lost if not for a kicker making 6 field goals.
    Simply put, for the talent on this roster, that's not good enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Or just keep him and keep underachieving...But going .500!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I listened to the Terrible Podcast after the loss. Dave and Alex both expect Ben to get extended to spread out his cap hit, and for ALL of the coaches to be retained.

They're probably right. I can't think of anything more depressing for a Steelers fan. It was over after the 2017 Jags' playoff loss. That's when most teams would have gone a different direction.

The Steelers, on the other hand, for the 4th straight year are going to take another bite at the apple, after several of their teeth have fallen out.

If they maintain status quo, minus a bunch of free agents and with a much tougher schedule, they have no shot at a Super Bowl next season. Doubtful they even make the playoffs or finish above .500.

Pull the bandaid off now, come back in 2022.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Uhh, that wasn't even Andy Dalton -- he broke his finger in the first quarter, and AJ McCarron took over and had us beat until Burfict and Pacman handed us the victory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mike, how do you rate the season?

Popcorn.jpg Tomlin.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If he announces that Randy Fichtner is gone all is forgiven. Why the Steelers are waiting on pulling the plug on RF is beyond me. Brian Schottenheimer is already gone in Seattle and multiple HCs have lost their job since season end. Whats the Steeler's problem??? I can only hope a search has started that they are keeping on the low.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Ugh, Thanks for the reminder, I had finally wiped that from my memory :lolol:

23. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    its to late ben is at the end of his career and we dont have a starting QB

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He is not going to announce his retirement. If that were the case then it would be forced by the FO and would have already been leaked to the media by now.

The press conference will be more of the same lame excuse cliches like driving to the well through a hot challenging desert but there was very little water left to feed the horses. When being asked about coaching changes he will say there is ample time on the clock to evaluate progression through process of elimination, but that fork in the road is still a few miles down the path. Pouncey retirement will be addressed to which he will thank him for his services and it will be the next man up as part of the fight to get them through the war. Ben will be asked about and the answer will be you don't put a horse down because of age, you only relieve that horse of his duties once he is no longer galloping. He will be asked about JUJU being a distraction with his Tik Tok videos and he will say kids these days are all gamers and their generation can acquire competitive edges through technology.

They will ask the press if there are any more questions and with the media's eyes all staring towards the florescent lights in the ceiling they will promptly end the conference heading towards a catered cheap Chinese buffet lunch where they will be amazed by the crispy Crab Rangoons and delicious egg rolls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    We wont run from that.