1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB in First?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel4Blood, Dec 9, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

You say he is. I say he is not. Agree to disagree.

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He seems to be able to make the throws, but also seems immobile and that makes a big difference between college and NFL. Not saying a QB has to be a runner, but eluding, moving in the pocket and extending plays is nearly a must.

3. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I would draft Malik Willis from Liberty University in the 6th round that dude can play football.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m watching the national championship game, and it’s the 3rd or 4th time I’ve watched Alabama this season. Mac Jones doesn’t seem all that athletic, and he has a receiving crew for the ages, but I just can’t discount him as a potential big time winner at the NFL level because he’s DAMN accurate at all levels, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him make a bad decision or look the least bit rattled. Again, the talent around him helps to simplify decision-making and keep him from high stress situations, but oh man that accuracy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That accuracy, anticipation and decision making is what is going to take him very far in the league. To say he will be a Top 20 QB is not out of the question either. Now, top 10?! Do not count on that as his physical limitations are going to hurt him a bit.

6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If we were to take a QB in the first I want a guy with serious talent. I want him to be mobile and have a big arm. I want a great athlete. Most of these young hotshots are mobile with big arms. (Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Watson, Murray, Jones)

You wouldn't draft any player of another position in the first if he wasn't a great athlete. You don't take a Mason Rudolf in the first round. A guy who's pretty good, with an average arm and average mobility. That's what every other round is for. Mason was worth a shot in the 3rd.

Accuracy and football IQ can allow you to be successful. However, I want to maximize my chances of drafting a superstar player by drafting a guy with the physical talent that gives him an advantage right from the start.

That's why I got so pissed when Pittsburgh said something like they were happy as hell that Jarvis Jones gave a combine performance on par with the DT's. So he would fall to them. I don't care how much skill they "thought" he had, you don't take a guy in the 1st that is a s**t athlete.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Guys like Mahomes, Watson, Murray, Jones and Allen aren’t going to be there in the 20’s. Also, here are some other big armed, mobile guys from recent drafts: Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, RG3, Carson Wentz, Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel. The QB position requires smarts and the ability to accurately throw all over the field. From what I can see, Mac Jones’ arm strength looks no worse than some other successful QBs who rely on brains and accuracy: Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning. I’m not predicting that he will be as good as those guys, but he shouldn’t be discounted out of hand because he’s not a huge armed, highly mobile QB. I’d say the Brady, Brees and Manning set a pretty good precedent for the ability of that type of QB to be successful.

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Trask has my attention at 24.. but only if Ben leaves.

After that I'm getting him a much help as i can on the line and RB

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    If the Dolphins seriously consider a QB with the #3 pick, do you think or would you want the Steelers to consider Tua for #24 in a trade?

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Oh, I get it. Having a big arm and good mobility doesn't ensure a great QB. I'm talking about maximizing the chances of getting a good QB. You never know how any of these guys are going to turn out. No idea. It's a crap shoot. Therefore, all things being equal, I want the guy with the highest baseline.
    If you want your driver to win the race, you want to give him the best engine. Can he win without the best engine? Sure, sometimes. There are many variables. But he better be a really good driver to beat a better car. But, if you take a bunch of drivers of similar skill level, and give one a clearly superior car, that's the guy I'm putting my money on.

And, hey, if you think a guy is the guy that can be a top 10 QB for you for years, knowing how important having a top 10 QB is, then is giving up a couple picks that big of a deal? Knowing what we know now, would you be upset if the Steelers gave up a couple 1st round picks to trade up for Ben? No. Of course it would've been worth it. Unfortunately, because we enjoy a successful franchise, we never get top 10 picks. Sometimes you gotta make a move.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't want a qb, let's get the offensive line and run game fixed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    NFL formula is simple:

I agree on the offensive line, I also do not think they should waste any early picks on a running back. I would have a tough time passing on any of the top QB's if they should fall to 24. A QB and offensive line are musts for winning teams, stud runningbacks are a luxury. You can have a good running game with no name runningback.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah, it seems most of the top RB's in NFL are picked in round 2 or 3. Nothing is ever set in stone though. It depends how the draft shakes out, how good the prospect is, and how deep the RB class actually is? I'm not pining for a RB in the 1st though. OL is what is going to fix the issue.

I have a hard time thinking we are landing a franchise qb at 24. They usually go within the first 10 picks of the draft. I know there are exceptions, but it is not the norm.

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    One of the guys on the early morning ESPN show(DWill/Johnson) said they thought he was a 4th rounder. I think he goes before that, and like you said in the right system could go far. Extremely intelligent, I think the Pats like this type of guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I would generally agree, but I think most of the QB's will be gone, and we just do not have the draft capitol to trade up. OT is deep this year, but you can find good OL depth later as well. For me Najee is the one RB that turns my eyes in that draft range. He can run inside and out, and is a very good receiver. A guy who can give you 1400-1600 or more all purpose yards consistently. Bleeds a clock and opens the deeper passing game. JMO kid is special

16. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson both were drafted in the twenties in the first round.

18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    As was Marino, I cannot remember the Rodgers draft specifically, but for him to last that long was really stupid, you cannot tell me 20 other teams had more confidence in their QB situation...well apparently I am wrong. Going back to Marino just rankles my gizzard. Coke rumours, people in the organization were friends of the family...no one bothered to even check out the stories...then the excuse "we had young QB's", Cliff "I got my pension without ever taking a snap' Stoudt and Mark 'the Tom Sellock wanne be ' Malone....40 years later I still wanna get plastered.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah, who knows who could fall. Nobody thought Rodgers would fall the way he did. The amazing thing is Rodgers was only the 2nd QB off the board at #24. When the heck does that ever happen? Never. It's made more amusing being he's a clear first ballot Hall of Famer. You never know.

It's not impossible that Wilson or Lance fall at least far enough that we wouldn't have to give up the future to grab one of these guys. Falling to #24, like Discount Doublecheck did, is highly unlikely, but who knows.

I've been watching Wilson. I've got a feeling about that guy. He just looks like he has "it" to me. Whatever "it" is.

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The more I read about JAMIE NEWMAN the more I like him

21. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I would love that. He’s on a rookie deal and this is a buy low opportunity. Haven’t seen Tua’s stock this low ever.

People forget: it was once called “Tank for Tua”

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Tua in a Matt Canada offense

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe in the 5th round

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I think next year may be the better year to draft a QB. The Steelers have so many holes on the offense I think it's better to pick an OL first this year, then look at addressing QB next year when they should have a higher pick.

Next year the Steelers have to play against an improving division and they get a first-place schedule. I think it could be ugly, which is bad for winning, but good for QB drafting.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I too have looked at him, he can spin it and on target. So so important to hit a wr in stride.