1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Win or Lose, Mason has balled out!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Jan 3, 2021.

1. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Glad he got to play, with all the bs he dealt with last year he deserves it. I don’t know what his future is but he has done things to work on. Has to get more aware in the trenches or he’s gonna get wrecked.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree he is not good in the short area , but with the skill we have on the outside if we can get the running game going and add some pieces to the Defense and use Dobbs in a lot of short yarage situations that recipe could work for a few seasons as Mason keeps getting better at his craft..

Mason played much better than I thought he could he has clearly got better ..So the big Question is can he continue to Improve ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Once again everyone, look at 2022. Quite a bit of comp picks in our future. Whether by that time it will be Kevin Colbert or not as the GM remains to be seen. Even so, there will likely be a play for "the guy" come 2022 as that year makes the most sense.

2021 simply is not it. As much as I would like to, there are way too many needs the Steelers have. For those who want to rush the opportunity to obtain a Franchise Quarterback so quickly without building a team around him, see Sam Darnold.

For that matter, see what the situation that Trevor Lawrence will walk in by comparison. All the Jaguars need to do is re-sign Cam Robinson and add some pieces on Defense. Their Offensive Line is solid enough for Lawrence to do damage and the Jaguars Receiving Corps is flying under the radar significantly.

Overall, I do agree with the consensus that the team needs to find whomever Big Ben's successor is. Like some of the fan base who have already been through this road, I doubt any of us want to play "Quest For The Next" again. That said, pulling the proverbial trigger without a proper team in place will yield another Sam Darnold in the end.

In short?! Use 2021 to continue team building; the Offensive Line doubly so. 2022 is when the proverbial trigger must be pulled. No exceptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree. Other than today, can't remember last time we moved the chains on 1st possession. Refreshing.

5. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Nothing on the line? This was his big showcase game of the year that can influence his career. As far as I am concerned, he played just as well or better then Ben since Dallas.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers aren’t in the same boat as the Jets. Steelers have a championship caliber team already and Gase played a large roll Darnolds failures as much as not having enough talent.

Honestly, I don’t see this team having many needs, the oline is the weakest link.

Drafting a QB doesn’t have to mean taking one in the 1st rd but I’d certainly be in favor of it if there is one there worth taking.

I would be in favor of taking a lineman in the 1st rd, too. All depends on how the draft unfolds.

Their top priorities I believe are QB, Oline and S. DL is aging so they’ll spend a pick or two there as well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That was not my point when talking about the Sam Darnold Saga. My point was that should a Quarterback, no matter how gifted he is, not have the talent around him to thrive, he is set up to fail. For that matter, see DeShaun Watson. It does not matter how gifted a QB is. Not having the correct pieces for him to succeed will end up being his downfall.

For me personally, if a Quarterback is taken in this draft, it is likely going to be either Ridder, Strong or possibly Trask. Beyond those three, there are not many options available to select from unless the team really wants to roll the dice with Jamie Newman as stated before.

2022 is the best play for one as there will be comp picks available for a possible big trade by then. 2021 should be addressing the other top needs now; immense, miniscule or otherwise. I know for a fact that me and you both do not want Art Rooney II beginning in his proverbial "Master Quest For the Next One" again; you especially considering I did not experience it the first time.

However, let us play devil's advocate here. Say we do draft a Quarterback and is Big Ben's successor. How long will it take for him to develop?! Nevermind that though.

Will we have the same corps of players that we have now by that time?!?! Count Terrell Edmunds as one player off the team. :eek:

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Did not look like it against Georgia.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Steelers are built to win now, if Ben retires or gets hurt, I do not believe Rudolph can lead them and they will waste what little window they have left.

I’ve seen Trask linked to the Steelers, the Knock on him is arm strength, I seem to remember the same concerns about Montana. No, I’m not saying Trask is Montana, just that those concerns can be overblown at times. Everything else about Trasks game is encouraging. He could sit behind Ben for a year which would be preferable but if he had too play right away, seems to have the skill set you’d like in an NFL QB.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

That is the thing about Kyle Trask though regarding his arm strength. If anything, Kyle Trask is Mason Rudolph all over again. Many of the same concerns I had with Mason I have with Trask.

If there is one major advantage that Trask has over Rudolph, it is the system that Trask plays in. Dan Mullens's Offensive Scheme is NFL Tailored whereas Mike Gundy's has some NFL elements in a College Spread system.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I have to agree with AQL here, though not just because the lack of arm strength is an issue with Rudolph. I was a big Joe Montana fan, but I don't think you go looking for that. Guys like Montana and Tom Brady are exceptions who defy proper scouting. I've seen people here (I don't think you are one of them) who insist the Steelers shouldn't draft quarterbacks high because they should just be looking for a guy like Brady in the late rounds. It doesn't work that way, at least not often enough to rely on it.

I want no part of a guy who doesn't have the arm strength. It puts a ceiling on his development before he even gets started. I also put more in scouting reports now, even amateur ones, than I would on reports from over 40 years ago when Montana was at Notre Dame. There is just so much more information available to the public now.

Take Joe Flacco's career as an example. Tyler Palko beat him out for the starting quarterback job at the University of Pittsburgh. Palko was more athletic than Flacco. He was an accurate passer in high school and college. He threw a nice deep ball. His father and grandfather were both football coaches, so he knew the game. He played tough and smart. He went on to be a good college quarterback, mostly because he got to throw to Larry Fitzgerald, but he only played in eight games in the NFL, starting four for the Chiefs. He also hung around a little while as a practice squad guy. He was even the emergency No. 2 for the Steelers for a game or two. Palko just didn't have an NFL arm and it caught up to him when he got to the pros. Flacco, on the other hand, had a cannon, and that was a big reason why he was a decent NFL quarterback. I don't think the Pitt coaches were wrong. I just think the physical limitation caught up to Palko at the pro level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Mason has always thrown a pretty deep ball but this is the exact receiving core for him. If he can improve his decision-making, he could be something. That said, keep him as a reliable back-up QB :)

13. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Agreed. That pick was really, really bad but it seemed more like a play a guy who doesn't play enough makes. With more seasoning, he'd be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Even if that were something meaningful, it is still better than what Mayfield did.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mayfield did what was asked of him, especially when you consider the damage he did as a runner. The Browns have a strong running game. If anything, they should rely on it even more next week. Chubb should get the ball 25 times.

Mayfield was also facing a better defense. Both teams had guys missing, but Cleveland's defense is not good. Take away Garrett and Vernon, which was the case for much of the fourth quarter, and they are awful.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If nothing else Mason had to get a little confidence in himself back, which compared to where he was is a win itself.

I don't think Mason will ever be a guy to lead you to the promised land, but I have no doubt he can be a serviceable back up at a minimum.

His INT wasn't good, but he made some difficult throws on 3rd and longs and 4th and longs that were pretty nice and impressive.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a significant difference and part of what is Rudolphs problem, never playing in a pro ready system.

As you like to say, we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. I already feel like they have a race car that just needs a little tune up and making sure there is a driver ready to hop in. I think you feel they have a lot of retooling to do and have more faith in Rudolph than I do.

Some of Trasks scouting reports are a little confusing, I read one that says he has a great deep ball and an impressive short and intermediate game but also goes on to say he lacks a strong arm. What is he referring to, is he saying he can’t throw an out? Because that would be a problem but I have not seen that written anywhere.

That’s why I like to watch games before formulating opinions on guys. I’m not advocating for or against Trask at this point, just that some reports have linked him to the Steelers and that the positives in his scouting are encouraging.

I don’t start breaking down the draft until after the season though, hopefully that will be another month away.

18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Meh, did better than I expected, some nice throws, but I have yet to see that "wow" moment from him. Darnold's had a rough go of it in NY, but he'll make throws at times that remind you why he was a consensus top pick.

Let's put it this way, if Mason was a pending FA with some other team and had the exact same experience and resume, would anyone be saying "Man, we need to snag that guy to replace Ben!"

He gets graded on a curve because he's ours. It's a phenomenon known as The Endowment Effect.

I also don't believe in the entire concept of "grooming a QB". They show you something right away, or they don't.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough good sir!! :drinks:

We shall pick up on this topic by the time the draft rolls around. See you there!

• Like Like x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    2020- Juju, Claypool, Johnson, Washington, Connor

2019- Juju (hurt 1st qt), Washington, Deon Cain, Johnny Holton, Trey Edmunds

I think Mason had a lot more to work with yesterday than the game last season.

He played a lot of that Browns game with a Practice Squad RB and 3-6th strong depth chart WR last season.

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I'd advocate for a more mobile QB. Not the Lamar Jackson type, but someone who can move around to buy time - the early incarnation of Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I honestly don't know that much about Trask. I'm just saying in general, I don't want a quarterback who lacks a strong arm. Arm strength does seem to show up more on intermediate throws than on deep balls. If a quarterback can't make those throws, defenses will figure it out and adjust. That is what was happening to the Steelers for weeks. Roethlisberger could not or would not throw anything but the short stuff, which made it too easy for opposing defenses.

23. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I do not want a QB who's mobility is to tuck the ball and run. When you have a QB who can take off running, but throw accurately on the run, that is one dangerous QB.

24. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    I just cannot believe what I am reading here! I watched the game until it was too painful to watch Mason. Went outside to take down xmas lights, came back in and I guess I missed all his best work, because I still think he is pedestrian at very best. I mean if we need to roll with him for a season so we can score a FQB in 22, fine. I just DO NOT want to see him try to lead this team for numerous years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Mason seems to not have that sense of timing in the pocket quality QBs seem to have built in.

He still holds onto the ball too much. and when he realized extreme pressure he threw a prayer that was easily picked off.

He may have arm strength, ability to throw accurately on deep balls. But if he can't move and slide around in the pocket, and know how to throw timing routes, He will not end up as our next starting QB...