1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Win or Lose, Mason has balled out!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Flannery O'Connor

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Players always rise in the draft, it’s very early in the process. I haven’t even begun evaluations yet.

Besides, I heard this was a good year for QB’s.

Lot of tape to dig into, AQL :thumbs_up:

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Damn these last few weeks, .......You cant tell your Ben fan lol

4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Rudolph played well, but he reminds me of ... Neil O'Donnell, a 3rd round pick, that will make the big mistake at the wrong time. The interception he threw was terrible, even though roughing the passer should have been called. I did like the way he got the ball down the field. If Fichtner is the OC, Rudolph may n0t reach his full potential. How many 3 and 8s can a team have?

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This is true. Christian Darrisaw, a Left Tackle from Virginia Tech, is arguably the best example of this. I had him Top 75 in 2019. Cannot believe he made the jump the way he did now; doubly so for Mac Jones. :eek:

That said, you know me. I would tell you personally about QBs I have watched intently. Desmond Ridder, Carson Strong and Trey Lance are the ones that come to mind. Of the three, Ridder seems to be the most likely to generate some buzz around here.

I would suggest Jamie Newman but he is way too much of a Wild Card to make any conclusions about.

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rudolf play the best that he could today. Canada has helped him with some of his footwork. Saw him talking to Canada when he came to the sideline more then Fictner. But he would be a good backup, plays more like a Tomsak or Cliff Stout QB. No hall of famer, we still need Ben's replacement.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    2021 not the year to take a QB high unless somebody they love falls to them. I certainly wouldn’t be trading up for one anyway. Too many other needs and there is no cap space to fill out the roster.

They should have better draft position in 2022 and several compensatory picks after losing several free agents this off season. That is the year to make a move.

If Ben doesn’t come back next year I’d be looking for a veteran bridge guy to compete with Mason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have been critical of Ben for quite a while on here. I do believe he is the problem. He is not the same player. He extended plays by his mobility. I think this year's game plan has been nothing more than to try and keep him healthy and off his butt. However, he is not a timing passer like Brady. We cannot expect him to make that change now.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

CAM NEWTON!!!

:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Impressed with Mason today, despite the slow start...

Is there any doubt now that slow starts can be be laid at the feet of one Coach Randy Fichtner ??????

Back to Mason. I think he's going to be a really good backup QB in the league. I don't think he's a franchise QB. He still gets happy feet when the pocket begins to collapse. I have no problem keeping him past his rookie deal, but I'm not sure he will be Ben's successor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Eh, no thanks. To be fair I don’t even know who I am suggesting. Whoever is available, cheap, and can run an offence without killing you. Cam is far too erratic at this point in his career.

In relation to Mason, what do people think is his ceiling if he keeps progressing? Garropalo / Cousins type? Can he be that good?

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Green font my friend. Meant to be taken as a joke. No seriousness here!!

All good!! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Fix the O line and get a RB, mason can be pretty serviceable here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Good thing 2022 has a WARCHEST of comp picks waiting then!! I imagine the team will trade up during that point.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mark Malone all over again. No thank you.

16. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Mason has a better deep ball than Ben . If mason didn’t poop himself under pressure he would be the better QB of the two

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    what is FAN?

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Mason played good today. That untimely INT was ultimately the difference between winning and losing. I do like the fact that he bounced back from that pick and gave us a chance to win. Ultimately, he's a solid backup and isn't Ben's replacement. But he's solid enough to push Ben's replacement to create some competition. As for Ben, if he doesn't retire... cut him. He's not worth that cap hit.

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Fantasy points?

20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The 2 point conversion was similar to the goal line pass to Claypool last week. At this point in his career, I don't know that he's ready to make those types of catches.

21. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Mason did pretty good today minus the int. He needs to learn not to stand like a statute though and use his legs to get yardage. Most young QBs nowadays have some wheels to get necessary yards when the D gives it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Dude can play. I hope this puts to rest the negative nancys. He is a good quarterback. Needs to be given a chance to grow with the team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ridder is a project, he needs to stay in school, he's not NFL ready.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph played well today. Blast is right in saying he doesn't do a great job on short passes, but he gave receivers opportunities on deep balls all day.

The interception was a terrible decision. Yes, it should have been roughing the passer, but that doesn't change the fact that he should not have thrown the ball. He also made a poor decision on the sack by Vernon. He held the ball too long and fumbled on the hit. He was lucky to be able to grab the ball before he went down.

The other thing to remember is the Browns were without Ward, their only good cornerback. Greedy Williams hasn't played all season, so it is tough to talk about that as a factor. The Browns' defense isn't great to begin with, but they had Garrett on the sideline most of that fourth quarter and Olivier Vernon missed the last touchdown drive. Yes, Rudolph was great in that fourth quarter, but it helped to be facing a mediocre defense without its best cornerback and its top two pass rushers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I will not be happy with Rudolph as our starting QB after Ben. Don’t get your panties in a bunch because of 1 good game with no pressure and absolutely nothing on the line. He’s a capable backup at best anyone with knowledge would know this

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1