1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph to start Week 17 against Browns

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    D38A4F18-CA30-4DF1-BB6C-CAA02AE860E4.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If you are happy with a QB who ranked 48 out of 57 QBs who started a game last year, who was replaced by an undrafted rookie, and who got progressively worse as the year progressed then more power to you. As someone who lived through the Bubby Brister, Jim Miller, Kent Graham, Mike Tomzak days, I expect more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I think Rudolph’s coming in with a big bad Chip and I wouldn’t underestimate him. He’ll want to impress many eyes with coaching positions open around the league.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Untill he gets hit a couple of times, or a browns player says somthing to him and it gets under his skin :roflmao:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The great Bob Prince use to use the term "hidden vigorish" for factors or trends that stats and numbers alone can't quantify. As an example, I fully expect the Browns to be wound tighter than a garage door spring. The fact that they have to win, the way the lost last week and the fact that they have a history of finding ways to blow opportunities all factor in. If the Steelers can jump on them early, maybe force some three and outs, or better still, a couple of turnovers and maybe get a lead, the locals could start to turn on them. That would be epic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree, but how are they going to get those stops? I could see them sitting the entire defensive line, Watt, and Edmunds, who is nursing a minor injury. Risking Haden would make little sense when they have enough corners to play without him. Do we really want to see the Steelers risk Fitzpatrick under those circumstances?

8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Understood. My theory is more about the Browns self imploding. The mistakes they might make. I mean, one doesn't need to be a starter to fall on a fumble. Whoever starts for the Steelers wouldn't be blamed for dumb procedural penalties against the Browns. Or, a blown assignment, missed FG. I look at it this way; I would have never thought the Jets could have beaten Cleveland last week, even without their starting wide receivers. Everything they had to play for, the years of frustration and they still couldn't muster enough plays to beat a one win team. I'm a realist. I don't expect the Steelers to win but, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the they make just enough plays and the Browns make just enough mistakes for the Steelers to win.

9. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    If highlight reel is how you judge a qb then Duck and Mason are all pro’s too. Dobb has been given plenty of chances and hasn’t showed anything. He cannot move the offense.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, you were wrong on this one:

https://triblive.com/sports/ben-roe...on-rudolph-in-steelers-finale-against-browns/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...n_rudolph_prepare_for_browns/s1_8061_33693398

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Browns D are deciding how they want to score at this point..Mason can't call his own plays and our OC couldn't fool a trout into hitting a panther martin after starving for 30 days...So the O will be beyond vanilla the Browns will know 90 % of our plays or better pre snap ... So they get to choose send the blitz from here you strip sack then you come from here and scoop we block this WR who ran a short route and take it to the house ...Or you sit at this spot Mason will throw to this spot now player #2 when you see him release it waltz in front take the easy pick and show me your best endzone dance... These are the hard choices the Browns are making this week..

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    with fichtner calling the plays PWP is correct. They will simply sit on the short stuff and play downhill the whole game. Killing receivers on those short crossing routes and blitzing the hell out of Rudolph. This game will probably be over by the end of the 2nd quarter but who knows? Maybe we can pull off a miracle.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Browns are the ones under pressure Sunday. Maybe we don't need all the starters to beat the Clowns.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’ve already won the division and earned a spot in the playoffs. The Browns have all the pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You may be right, but bear in mind Rudolph has been practicing with the firsts all year on Ben’s day off. He’s got a 5-3 year under his belt. He can run the offense by now.

I think much will depend on whether his receivers remember how to catch the ball. Run a few screens early on, find the mismatch left by the blitz, and it may be closer than you suggest.

Aware of how optimistic I’m being there...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    RF needs to use the second half is last weeks game plan for passes. If he calls a run or two, it might shock the world.

18. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Before mason took that nasty hit where he hot KO'd....his production was actually not bad.

Not saying he is the second coming of Montana but even if he can have Batch like backup numbers would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobbs has hardly been given a chance. His career consists of 12 pass attempts in 5 games with 0 starts.

I don’t believe he is the future starter of this team, though. Need to address it this year in the draft, IMO.

21. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I just read on Yahoo that Mason is willing to talk it out with Garrett but he's received no response.

23. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Rudolph is a class act. His willingness to talk it out with Garrett is a display of his class and I believe his innocents. One party not willing to talk it out often shows they were the guilty party.

24. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    I like Rudolph and I hope he does well. He seems like a good kid and his teammates seem to like him. He is not too full of himself. I hope they give him the chance to throw the ball a good bit and see what he can do. It would be stupid not to take this opportunity to give the kid a good look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So, what defines a good (or acceptable ) outing for Mason? I am rooting for him big time to do well and silence his critics a little. For me, I will be pleased if he can move the ball and run the offense like a veteran should and keep the score within 7-10 points. Preferably Steelers having the most points. Needs to have a decent passing completion percentage and YPC average. Also, no turnovers (pics or fumbles) and being mobile in the pocket (or out of it) not allowing a sack would be a bonus. These things will require a team effort and not solely just him. It would also help if RF does his job correctly and not hamstring him into bs plays that are predictable (asking a lot aren't I). He doesn't have to win but if he could be a team desperate for a win to get in the playoffs, plus being a division rival, that would speak volumes.

• Agree Agree x 1