1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

“If I don’t play good enough football, then I need to hang it up.”

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Dec 14, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I get that but this roster outside of the QB is too good to tank for a top 5-10 pick, and even if they do it is no guarantee of getting your guy. In the hypothetical scenario where Ben retires at the end of this season you’d have to try to bring somebody in to give you a shot.

Best example I can think of is Tannehill and the Titans, didn’t work out in Miami but as soon as he got in to a system that played to his strengths it clicked for him. I know Henry drives that offence but Tannehill has been really good there, it’s the defence that continually lets them down.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Don't necessarily have to tank. Could make a trade?

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah of course, but given they are already over the cap with only 32 guys signed for next year every pick is precious. I’d be trading back if anything in 2021

Id agree in the long term you identify your guy in the draft and do whatever it takes but they’ll be in a tricky spot if Ben retires at the end of this year, however unlikely that is.

4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You missed the point. If Belichick would rather have Roethlisberger than Newton
    He's buying the popcorn.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm curious to hear what you think. I also thought highly of Darnold coming out of college.

I'm happy to read that someone else sees what I see with Roethlisberger. I assume it is the knee screwing with his lower body mechanics.

6. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with going after Darnold as well. Juju loves being a Steeler and maybe that would entice him to stay with the Steelers. He has stated he would love to play with Darnold again. As much as I said I would like to see Mason develop, if we can a top notch QB like Darnold, I think we should go for it as long as it doesn't break the bank and trend our Defense going backward. Big contracts are always at the expense of other areas of the team.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    No tanking ...... EVER!

We have a plethora of talent at WR and potentially LB. I'd gladly package something to move up in the draft to take the next MaHomes.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The odds of drafting a guy like that are not high even with a high pick in the first round.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    "There are a lot of things involved. Sometimes physicality is mental too. You have to be mentally tough. All of those things combined I think can hopefully turn this thing around and we can hit the plays that are there to be had." -- Ben.

10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    In Mason we trust!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    While, literally, the next MaHomes may be difficult, the idea was that we move up to what it takes to get an elite QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interesting thought. Tbh I really see little with Trubisky. Don't think he has it for the NFL.

As for future QB, I'm in the Darnell camp if they can trade for a mid rounder. The Jets suck I'd have a feeling he could do better with a better team

13. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    what I am saying is that Ben may be the only reason we won any of these games. I cant even imagine what mason or duck would be doing behind this line. The OL has become a weakness big time and I am not versed enough to know if its age or coaching, but we have seen a great decline since Munchak left and thats undeniable. On top of a degraded line, the OC may not be best one for the job either, just sayin....

14. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Trubisky sucks, IMO n not the answer not a Darnold fan either.

Vets will be cut/available- Stafford, etc. Get someone like that or you need to draft a guy. Rudolph needs to go also, guy is not it. As someone posted if their plan is bring everyone back n hope for better results, or cut Ben go w Mason n draft a guy late on draft, those are trainwrecks waiting starting week 1 preseason......

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Based on what we are seeing, especially last night, he really does need to hang it up.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I like Matthew Stafford but he's 32 yo. and has taken a beating in Detroit.
    Still better than Rudolph, IMO

17. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
  18. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    This is absolute nonsense... the only BB could survive behind this line again? Ben cant throw or move with his legs. A lawn chair is a mobile as BB right now. Both Backups at this point would be better than what Ben is puking up out there.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There are certain QBs who put up big numbers, but just don't know how to win. I call it Vinnie Testaverde Syndrome. Stafford would be one of those guys, Phillip Rivers as well. I don't trust either of those guys to win a playoff game.

After last night, I think I have seen some glimpses in the second half that Ben still has it. I think it is a combination that he is hurt(knee), and he doesn't trust his O-line.

Possibly, Ben can't scramble anymore, but it could also be he just doesn't want to take those shots anymore for the sake of his family? Whatever it is ... that hurts this offense too.

If we could at least win this week, we could rest our guys against Browns, it could make a world of difference. Trying to be optimistic here...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020