1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

“If I don’t play good enough football, then I need to hang it up.”

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Dec 14, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If Ben hangs them up one option I haven’t seen mentioned much is Trubisky. He is a free agent as his fifth year option was not taken up and Chicago won’t tag him. Assuming Fictner leaves with Ben I think Canada could work with Trubisky in this offence, he is an up and down passer but he can make plays with his legs and can be good if he could just add some consistency. He would not be a terrible option on a one year cheap prove it deal.

Use the draft to build up your OLine and replenish the secondary, get a good blocking TE etc.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I watched this interview. Your quote is taken out of context and a bit misleading. Ben was obviously offended by the question and responded with a short, sarcastic response. I expect a huge game from him Monday night.

3. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Roll with the Reindeer and we’ll all be here talking about who we’re drafting with the first pick.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    To those who are thinking that Ben's arm is the problem, watch the game highlights and watch his lower body mechanics. He's not effectively utilizing his legs to generate velocity in his throwing motion.
    I really want to dig into some All 22 film of Darnold over the past few years to see what happened, because I really liked him coming out of college. I felt like he could develop into a Top 5 QB with the right system. Maybe I'll have some time over the next couple of weeks.

5. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Always liked him , he's what this team needs a QB with basic common sense and much easier to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's at the point of his career to where he'll try his best until things begin to fall apart , like his body , then he'll just give up and not care. He's just about there now. Then the team will waste another year with the aging O-line. At this pace the new QB will have zero protection, which was the exact same thing Ben had to go through when he took over. He had to run for his life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Your comparing coaching under Belecheat at the Pats to our OC? Where does MT fit into this equation?

8. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree with your vision of 20/20 on this. I believe he is playing in conservation mode so he can finish the season. I believe its both elbow and knee that is hampering his ability to throw like he used to. He did throw like Ben of old somewhat at the beginning of the season but that look is long past at this point. It all fits with what our offense is running vs early in the season. This dink/ dunk bs evolved at some point into the main offensive strategy that has been countered by every team we have played for the past month. If it continues into the Bungles game, we could lose to them as well. This year is ending up like 2019 where we hope our defense keeps us in the game.. We don't have the coaching G2 to compete with other teams, as demonstrated by in game or 2nd half adjustments in comparison to our opponents, so we must find a way that will be different to defend against. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    With our 1st pick, sure. Kid has played little more than 1/2 a season. P. Manning was poop his 1st season as well as many other good qbs. Our ball catching studs are healthy, more experienced & we have a big target in Claypool.

Mason will be hard pressed to match Big Ben in what we fans would like but i think the Darnold kid isn't really any better than him. Rudolph is better at seeing the field imo. He doesn't get picked by lurking safeties as much as Darnold.

Maybe it's just me but S. Darnold hasn't flashed anything i view as franchise qb. Mason hasn't either.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  10. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So, what you're saying is that our OL forgot how to block both pass and run after the first several games? Up until lately, they were somewhat healthy compared to a lot of other teams. We took a hit last game but before that they were relatively intact, I believe.

11. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Wentz is a strange situation. Had the talent to be considered for POY and since has been hideously bad. I think he tries to hard to make things happen because he is getting no help. He might rebound on a new team and a with new personality. I know of die hard Iggle fans who say the team has abandoned him for whatever reason. When you look at how the team played/plays when Hurts got in, it looks totally different in every way. Receivers getting open, backs running through lanes, pass blocking giving more time, players look like they are actually trying, etc. Same way when Foles got in during their SB year. Could that translate to the Steelers? I don't think we're that desperate just yet but getting there may be sooner than we think.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think Ben’s arm is fine, but as far as his foot work I will say this I see plenty of quarterbacks and games every Sunday make throws off their back foot, throws while on the run and such with no problem.

13. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I think we should do this the other way around. Get the win with Ben against Cinci for the Division title and seeding, then rest Ben for game 1 of the playoffs. JMO

14. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Seems Ben throws a token intermediate to long throw in the early part of the game to give the illusion that they need to defend the longer passes. I don't think its working.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Wentz hasn't looked the same since that knee injury. Agree about him trying to do too much, he is all in trying to win the game.

Pittsburgh would need to reload the Cowher Power approach for him to be SB winning imo. Tomlin wouldn't know how to play him effectively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Roll with the Reindeer and we'll all be wanting Ben back in the game. Its all relative. Last year all couldn't wait for Ben to come back. Now, we're talking of his replacement with several other QBs including Mason. Not criticizing about this but its interesting how we're coping with this season vs last.

17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mason sucks
    Duck sucks
    Darnold sucks
    Current Ben sucks
    Stafford sucks
    Turdbisky sucks
    Wentz sucks
    I suck
    You suck
    2020 sucks
    The end lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Rudolph is on the roster with some wins under his belt. One could argue that the defense carried him. My memory isn't that great but i think he had a hand in some of those wins. I think the Steelers could do better than Mason but not seeing it with the names being thrown around other than Stafford. Just my opinion.

19. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Rudolph is terrible. Zero confidence in him. He is not the answer to anything. He's gunshy, yet takes too long to make his reads and throw ball.. It's not a good combination. I'd take Ben with one knee and half an arm over Rudolph. You guys must have short term memories. I know we've had some recent offensive woes, but last year was an utter nightmare.

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Hobbled Ben vs mason?

Pre snap reads- ben

Post snap- Ben

Escaping the rush- both can’t

Short throws- Ben is at least accurate
    Deep- I’ll take mason

Mid throws- toss up. If Ben can plant his foot I take him otherwise mason

besides Ben isn’t a fictional racist like mason lol

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep, he is not Big Ben caliber. I'd argue that he is developed about the same as Darnold, Haskins or Turdbisky. He is also under contract to replace Ben if needed.

I have a hard time understanding Tomlin & Co. going a different route with said replacements being discussed.
    Darnold is in a bad environment but has anyone seen franchise caliber play out of him?
    Haskins is a better Dobbs imo.
    Turdbisky has a so-called Fat Andy disciple making up his playbook & is not seeing the field just like our fairly young back-up.
    Gun shy vs. turnover is in the cards for these unproven talents. Mason has the check-down game mastered better imo.

22. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    The names being thrown around on here, other than maybe Stafford, are all Tommy Maddox kind of QBs. None are true franchise QBs. They're all just bridges to a future franchise QB. All are failures we're hoping will catch some magic with a change of scenery; Playing behind a good defense and a decent offensive supporting cast.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Makes sense. All the names being mentioned do have more mobility than statue-man Mason. In my mind they would all be in the same boat performance wise. Like to see the Steelers grab Ben's replacement early in the 2022 draft.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If both suck and the team isn't a contender with either, then I would take the cheaper Mason and use Ben's 30+mil to resign the D's main players.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Someone else's reclamation project is not the answer.

I think it's pretty clear that the only way you can be a perennial contender is with an elite QB.

Wait till Ben retires and do what you have to to get a top ten draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1