1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

“If I don’t play good enough football, then I need to hang it up.”

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Dec 14, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If they traded for Darnold they would have three first rounders from that draft on the roster, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick and Darnold.

They would need to decide on the fifth year options for 2022, Darnolds could be up to $25m by all accounts.

I’d agree with @Formerscribe that it’d only be a viable option if Ben retires. I would not give up much for Darnold, late second at best, maybe even a third would do it. He is by no means a sure thing and even if he turns out to be a viable starter he will get expensive very quickly for any team that trades for him.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I just don't like what I've seen of Haskins. I liked Darnold a lot more coming out of college and he has shown some flashes in the pros. I think he just desperately needs to get away from Gase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Could Wentz get let go from Philly?

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt it. The dead money cap hit would be enormous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    What about Josh Rosen? He's on Tampa's Practice Squad right now. Is he really that bad? I know that Arizona gave up on him after one year. And he only started 3 games for Miami. I am intrigued by a player who seems like he was never given a chance to succeed, and had a pretty decent college career. Am I saying he should be the starter? No, but I'm curious if the guy has anything at all. If Tampa doesn't resign him I'd invite him to camp next year

6. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    No velocity? Give me a break! The receivers can't even catch the ball Ben has been throwing to them and it's not because the throws are too soft. I think the dink and dunk are because the OL can't block long enough, can't run block and we have no choice but to throw the quick hitter. The issue is up front not the quarterback! Steeler fans never cease to amaze me with where they see fault! Ben is a first ballot Hall of famer and we win because of him not in spite if him!

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Everything I have seen, Rosen looks terrible. Unless something "clicks" for him, I wouldn't consider it.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There have been a few times this year where his 20 yard or so TD passes have been things of beauty, but he has struggled all year with long passes, and increasingly seeing lofting to an area without any velocity. For years he said he thought the pain in his elbow was just normal, which makes me wonder how much he is hiding with the arm and rest of his body (beyond what we see). that pick 6 last night was not luck, but rather Ben has been lucky multiple times this year with the same type of pass. Love the guy and want to see him do well in this twilight of his career, but one has to be blind to know something (beyond the drops) is really wrong.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good point.

10. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    IF Pittsburgh wins the Super Bowl, Ben will go out the way he came in. He won his first Super Bowl with the lowest QB rating of a SB winning QB and would win his third with a low rating. I believe it would be much higher than his first Super Bowl, but it will be more like Manning was with his last SB win with Denver. Love the guy and would love to see him win one more, but his game isn't there. I believe somewhere down the road there will be an NFL Presents a Football Life - BigBen edition, where we will learn of his elbow injury and inability to throw accurately downfield. Much as we learned about Mean Joe basically playing his last years "one armed".

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m saying that when someone claims that somethings wrong with his elbow and then when asked for proof the only proof offered is the “eyeball test” then I’m saying that until there’s some proof they’re full of ****.

12. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    This would be one of those cases where passing the eye test depends on the brain of the eyes watching. Ben does not have velocity anymore. He is floating balls out there most of the time. His deep ball is gone, the stats don't lie. He has completed something like 20% of his deep balls this year and the worst stat is the mid range throws (there really isn't any). I said before this season started that ben wouldn't be the same. You don't go have major surgery in your late 30's and come back better. It doesn't happen no matter how much Ben says he feels great or feels the best he ever has. I loved Ben as our QB but his time has passed.

They wont use him for a QB sneak ever, he is never under center anymore, a good chunk of his passes are behind the line of scrimmage and the ones that aren't are anywhere from 1 - 3 yards pass the LOS. Its hard for all of us to accept that his time is done but NOBODY beats father time NOBODY! The reason he is still out there is his legacy and the fact that as bad as hes playing right now hes still better than Rudolph and Dobbs combined (not really saying much but he is better than them both combined). Rudolph doesnt even belong on a NFL practice squad as the guy has absolutely no zip on his throws and he is scared now.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Full of it up to their eyeballs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Dang im mad I didn’t think of that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Except that his passes were zippy up until his knee injury vs. the Cowboys.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think so to. The injuries don't help but the gunslinger is down in the dumps with his performance. Nobody likes to be the reason it failed. The team is/was good enough to go far & he sees that as do most posters.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The people that are drinking the Kool-aid are those that take the bait the media puts out with these types of headlines to create DRAMA. They are your true drama queens. Ben was simply making a statement, one of which was once again taken out of context to be misrepresented by the simple.

As for Ben basically sucking, I disagree. He had a bad day. The previous two games have been plagued by DROPS. If those drops did not happen we would not have lost those games.

I don't think this loss is one where people need to grab pitchforks. The pic six had more to do with predictability on offense than a poorly placed throw. Hell the DB practically ran the route. Ben had an underground deep ball. It doesn't mean the guy has lost all ability to throw the football deep.

I get a kick out of all the Steeler 'fans' lurking in the shadows during an undefeated streak to come out when things go south to all the people that suck and need replaced/fired.

I give some credit to Buffalo. Our defense played their butts off. Josh Allen kept completing passes. We've had significant injuries on defense.

I do feel as if our offense needs to step it up. I don't believe everyone on offense needs replaced all because they a couple rough games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    They were better but they were a far cry from what he used to have on the ball. His deep ball hasn't been there all season and as i stated they didn't have much mid range passes either. Ben fought Haley tooth and nail on the dink and dunk (part of why ben threatened to retire if they didn't get a new OC, also cause haley is a jerk). Do you really think the light bulb went off in bens head all of a sudden that the sink and dunk can be really good if used correctly? Ben is a gunslinger and always has been. He wants to go deep always and yet here we are throwing 2 yard passes always. Also its been said that been changes the play ALOT so you think he is changing the plays to 2 yard passes cause he all of a sudden wants to be that guy? No he is doing it cause no matter what he says to the media he knows he cant throw the ball like he used to.

This is almost exactly what happened to Tiger Woods. Spent his whole life developing himself into a pro. Got hurt, took time off tried to come back and while still better than alot of people he is still a shell of what he used to be. Surgery plus a year off plus getting old plus not exactly being known for being a gym rat / well prepared guy equals what we are seeing now. It will get worse not better thats a promise. And another promise is that i wish this wasn't the case. I know currently the future without Ben is nothing to look forward to with who else is on the roster.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What is interesting is Brady made a hell of a career with the short passing game. But that also comes with designing an offense that fits that skill. And Randy sure as hell isn't the guy to do that. That to me is a complete rebuild of offensive schemes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I think the assumption is... You're only trading for him to " hold the fort "...Hoping he can reach his potential, play at least .500 ball...Keep the club competitive, with a great team around him and by that time...until the ' new ' guy is ready! I don't think anyone would be looking at him as the QB of the future!

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I will not dispute that, but Brady also had some decent backs over the years. Like a lot of players on the Pats roster no remembered, but they were there when the time counted.

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The last few games he's ALWAYS grabbing it! And rubbing it! That's my proof! Even the medical personnel take turns rubbing it... I'm not making stuff up and...Also his throws the last 3 guys have been slot of lobs... Don't know what rose colored games you have been watching

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Really?I don’t actually think that would be the assumption, you’d be better off picking up somebody like Cam or Dalton in free agency in that case and keeping your draft pick(s).

Pittsburgh probably won’t be in a position to draft a QB high in the first round in the foreseeable future. Where is this ‘new’ guy going to come from? Your chances of hitting on a QB outside the top 10 are not great tbh.

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We should ask Fat Andy who to draft in 2022. Personally I'd roll with the Reindeer rather than trading for Darnold or suffering with Wentz without Ben in 2021.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think you’re exaggerating. He did do some of those things earlier in the year, but not as much lately. I would be surprised that after that type of surgery if the medical staff wasn’t taking some precautions with massages and such.
    It’s pretty absurd to claim to be able to medically evaluate someone through a television.