1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

“If I don’t play good enough football, then I need to hang it up.”

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Dec 14, 2020.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    https://triblive.com/sports/steeler...od-enough-football-then-i-need-to-hang-it-up/

This is NOT the comment I want to hear. We all know Ben is a drama queen at times but this is disturbing.

I said in a thread at the beginning of the season that they need to draft a QB #1 this upcoming draft. I know, I know the offensive line needs to be retooled and I agree. But without a quality signal caller this team is toast and we have lived through lean years with plenty.

I was hoping that Mason Rudolph would hopefully be that. Not! And Dobb's please.

Ben looks like a shell of his former self and I feel Father Time has caught up. The knee, the elbow, what's between the ears ect.

If your not concerned well your drinking to much Kool-Aid.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What would people rather Ben say? Do they want him to go out and blame others? Sure he needs to play better. So does the team and the coaches.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Hang it up...You're done

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Not that he is going to "Hang em up" for starters. Not the sign from the leader that I want to hear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't think Ben will be back next year. Leaves us in a very bad place. No QB on the roster able to be viewed as a legitimate starter down the road. No way to pick a good QB next year without reaching at the end of the first round. We are out of time for looking to replace Ben. He just looks tired out there. He has been a great QB for us but now it's time to look beyond Ben

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sounded to me like he was trying to motivate himself. He’s being realistic, and internally thinks this might be it, so he needs to dig deep and find a way to play his best ball from here on out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is done, period. He's become Alex Smith. He has no ability to throw down the field anymore. It's obvious and anyone who says otherwise needs to recognize their bias. The film and stats are there for everyone to see.

Without a very strong running game and defence, we can't win with Ben. We did early but the league has caught on and has adjusted to what we do. Our adjustment to the defences were seeing should be deeper passes, but Ben can't do it anymore.

Ben cannot lead a team to win anymore. Father time has caught up to him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I tried to tell you at the beginning of the year that Ben was done. 17 years of getting sacked or knocked down takes it's toll on a 38 year old body. You all seem to think Ben is still 28 years old. He's had a great run, so have the Steelers, but nothing lasts forever. I'm old enough to remember the '70's Steeler teams. They also had a great run, but all things come to an end. It seems like some of you think Ben is indestructable. I hate fans who aren't honest with themselves and defend Ben, when the truth is right before their eyes. He's DONE, guys! It happens to them all! Get ready for a new QB. Ben is ready for retirement, and should be. The smart players know when it's time to let it go. I hate athletes that "hang on" too long. Ben is one of them.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wouldn’t read too much into the comment. He said the same thing after his disastrous outing in Jacksonville in 2017, and team rebounded to go 13-3 (should have been 14-2 but for the BS Jesse James call). I know that season ended badly, but Ben was on fire late in the playoff loss, and the defense couldn’t hold up their end of the comeback attempt.

I don’t think Ben is long for the NFL, but the comment itself is just Ben being Ben.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not to mention all the starters we will lose next year. This truly is the last hurrah, and it's not looking good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That was 3 seasons ago, he didn't have the elbow issue back then, things are different this time around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What elbow issues? He got those fixed.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    His elbow isn't fixed it's hurting him this is why they're doing the dink and donk crap, he has no velocity on the ball he's just playing it safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What was he thinking weeks ago? Motivate himself? WTF does that mean making millions each week for playing a game for nearly 2 decades? I am not disagreeing with what you are saying but this would make things worse if its true IMO. I believe his physical capabilities have diminished since his surgery and other wear and tear making what our offense is currently doing as a preserve Ben scheme vs an attacking one.

15. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    What're the cap implications if Ben retires... It's time.. God, He's been so great for so long, but it's over... Seriously can't throw the ball down the field, always holding his elbow, his knee?

I want this " transition " so be as short as possible...Get an Alex Smith / Fitz/ Dalton type for a year or 2 at the most, draft one...and cross your fingers and hope for the most, Is all you can do...Tired of this twisting in the wind...

I'm not one of those Drama Queens after a loss, But Ben's done... We'll win a few more games...But he is such a shell of his former self...and if you think it's magically going get better... You're crazy!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the issue is the knee. The limited downfield passing started then.

17. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I checked the up coming QB free agents and they all suck,, they would have to make some sort of trade for a descent backup who is looking for a starting job.

18. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

I'm glad he said it. NOW he needs to nutt up n fix it or get out after this season

He looks afraid to get him n contact on TD pass to Juju he could've ran it in the play before, but he wanted nothing to do w that

The off needs to change, under center more, etc. But he's looking like the finish line is right on front of him

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This is probably against the rules, but I wonder if Belichick would rather have a 39 year old Ben or Cam Newton again. New England would have a better offensive scheme because of coaching. If the answer is yes, then that tells me the Steelers need to find a new OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steeler4Life57

Steeler4Life57 New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Ben is playing scared I have never seen him act like he didn't want to take a hit until last night. When you are scared to take a hit it's time to give it up. I don't care what you used to be. It's time to find a future QB because we don't have one on the roster.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I do think it's time. We may see more then him going too. Colbert? Maybe we do it a different way since we won't be drafting near the top but the teams that will could be willing to make a trade of some sort.

Darnold?
    Wentz?

these are a couple of qbs that could be moving on from their former teams, while we build it back up.

there is something wrong going on in this offense. You don't go from 30 points a game to can't get a first down. Ben looks bad. Many players are old on both sides of the ball. Father time is winning and there isn't a thing we can do about it.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Where are you getting this information?

23. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I guess this old cowboy doesn't have anything left :shrug:

24. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Eye test...Always holding his elbow, lobbing the ball, and not being able to throw the ball down the field

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    His body is failing him.

• Winner Winner x 1