1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nice to see

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Dec 3, 2020.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    It is nice to see that Tomlin and some players feel that they played like crap. Kinda scares me that we seem to be heading in the wrong direction toward the playoffs teams that go far start gelling near the end and continue it through the playoffs if we don't pull our heads out we will be one and done.

2. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I love the team taking responsibility for terrible wins and losses.

Also, we went into last night on the heels of back-to-back blowout wins and dominated but just couldn't stop hurting ourselves. It doesn't mean we aren't "gelling" or backtracking.

3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Is he going to "unleash hell"?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well, it is December...

Tomlin was very animated and discussed with the performance. Ben felt the same. This at the feet of now 11-0. I like it.

Can't have Ben throwing 51 times yielding 1 TD. Run blocking is an obvious fail. The drops, lack of focus. Special team gafs. The freak Dupree injury. All this and covid. It was a weird game.

Washington will not be a pushover. They have a Defense and Alex Smith is playing quite well, and they can run the ball.

Hopefully they clean up some of the gaffs and Highsmith can represent, get some guys back from the covid list. Gonna get tougher the week after...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I was kidding. There is a huge difference in the teams when Tomlin made this first comment and now. Perhaps he has grown and if he can transfer that disgust to good coaching we'll be fine. I like Highsmith's upside and I wasn't excited when they drafted him. Obviously there will be a drop off at the position but I'm hoping it won't be a huge one. 11-0 is WAY better than I thought this team would be at this point. Spillane needs to get better as well. But I think he will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Tomlin was pissed. At least we won't be overconfident moving forward.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This is kind of game the Steelers needed. It will either propel them forward offensively or regress them back.

They will need to play better. Because with injuries mounting to the defense with the loss of Dupree, the scoring of more points is going to be crucial.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben throwing 50 times will get them knocked out pretty quick.. or his arm falls off

9. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    How about instead of being pissed about playing like crap u instead stop playing like crap

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Havnt we been through enough of it already :shrug:

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Every good team is going to play a stinker or two during the course of a sixteen game season. Just be thankful we played ours vs a depleted Baltimore team. I expect a fired up Steelers team vs Washington Monday.

12. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Most of them were within a few yards of the line of scrimmage. I don't think they were particularly taxing on his arm. Plus he hasn't practiced much so he's saved some mileage there. The issue is that we need to do more with those throws. Can't be dropping so many balls and can't refuse to push the ball downfield some. And it might be nice to at least attempt to run.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do not think the team was looking overconfident last night. Last night, the team looked unprepared and lackadaisical. However, just like Tomlin said, it was not just players.

Coaches as well bear some responsibility. Ike Hilliard is going to have a field day with the Wide Receivers. I hope he lays the verbal smackdown on Diontae Johnson for this "inconsistency parade" has worn out its welcome.

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A NFC loss is still a loss but as an AFC tiebreaker, it’s not so bad.

15. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Tomlin always blames the coaches first which is fine but I really don't know that yesterday was the on the coaches. They weren't the ones dropping passes all game or dropping a punt or making an idiotically dangerous challenge on a ball instead of making the tackle when the game was all but won. Just the WRs catching a few more balls would have turned that into an easy win.

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Reminds me of the Billy Crystal comment back just before the Cubs finally won a world series: "You know, every team's goinna have a bad century every now and then". :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We have had some stinkers this season

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I see no takeaways from that game affecting the remainder of the season other than Bud's unfortunate injury, and the continued issues with certain guys dropping catchable passes (DJ, Ebron, Claypool). Emotion and focus are critical for a professional football team to perform at a high level. Situations like what the Steelers went through can adversely affect both. At the same time, playing shorthanded in an important game can galvanize a team and lead to them performing over their heads. This game was of critical importance to the Ravens, and the guys who were able to play for them last night left it all on the field.

Let's be frank about one thing. If Ray Ray doesn't muff that punt in the first half, this game is never close. Ray Ray has been very solid this year, so I'm chalking that up as just one of those mistakes that are going to be made by any returner from time to time. Other mistakes (other than inconsistent pass catching) are not something that I see as consistent issues that will affect us in big games.

Also, if our receivers hadn't dropped multiple easy catches, the game would have never been close. Unfortunately this one seems to be more of a repeated concern that needs fixing. The 3 receivers that I mentioned above need to wake up and double up on practice time to reinforce the art of the catch. Take a lesson from he who shall not be named. The man may be crazy, but he had an unbelievable work ethic and made himself a great pass catcher by putting in the time and effort.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Coaches had a good game plan, IMO... not their fault. Steelers should have won by 3 scores. Players didn't execute... dropped passes, fumbled punt returns and bad coverage.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    That was truly a bang-bang play. Incredibly well-timed by the defender.

21. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Yup....we have lost games because of Baltimores special teams play. They typically are pretty good. Usually way better than ours.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did he signal fair catch on that one? I stopped watching the Vikings game on Sunday because Beebe muffed a punt after he signaled for a fair catch. Now this happened to the Steelers something like 8 or 9 years ago on a primitive game. They punted the ball, the returner signaled fair catch and muffed it, Steelers recovered. It was then ruled no turnover since the returner has to be allowed to recover the ball and was tackled out of the way. Same thing on Sunday but the Panthers got the ball. I hadn't heard if that rule had changed.

23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Pretty sure that was in San Diego, when Cowher was the coach

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn that means the Pirates still have 60 more bad years in them.