1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Reason why the season wasn't cancelled

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, it's called perspective.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They’re a business that are in business to make money. Also I’m sure they have legal obligations to the networks and God knows who else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Money.

But their product offering is broke.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Product is not broke. People just can’t accept change. To many people caught up in “the way it used to be”

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, even know I enjoyed the game much more before all the changes I still watch every chance I get and look forward to it.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If the product is so bad why are these people still watching? The reason is it’s really not bad. It’s just different than it was 10,20,30 years ago.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think the season was just cancelled for the 49ers. At least they are being told by the county that they can not practice or play football anymore this year.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  8. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    What do you think of a 82 game basketball season? Talk about greed they should play about 40 games then playoff the best. Back to back games in different cities, just for the gate revenues. Players not playing up to snuff because they have 82 games to hustle their wares. Their season doesn't even matter, just the playoffs.

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    MLB 162 which is pretty much 100 games of torture for my BUCS.

11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Baseball doesn't let half their lame teams into the playoffs like the NBA. Talk about money grubbing, jeez. Baseball doesn't jump on planes everyday to get their bloated season in either. I've been to many NBA games where the players are just simply going through the motions, care less about the outcome. That doesn't happen in college b-ball.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Way things are going OP may have to change the word wasn't to was:(

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

When I see a DL player touch 2 hands on a QB and immediately lift hands off him knowing of a possible flag coming and they throw the 15 yard roughing penalty anyways. The product is broke.

When I see a different QB take a beating with helmet shots and low leg tackles but no flags are thrown. The product is broke.

When I see 2 players 50 yards down the field jostling equally for the ball and one player whining for a PI flag and getting the 50 yard penalty even though there was clearly no PI. The product is broke.

When I see constant holding against an elite DE and no penalties called cause it gives an advantage to the offense. The product is broke.

When I see a pick play for one team is accepted and the same exact pick play for another team is flagged. The product is broke.

When I see a clear TD (Jesse James) overturned because of the outcome against an opponent is not the desired result. The product is broke.

People can accept change but when the changes are so drastic that the game itself becomes questionable then the product to some of us has become broken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Money is the reason. The NFL is a business at the end of the day.

16. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    One lost season would not wreck them, but who is to say at this point that there won’t be another epidemic next year, Covid-20 or Lhasa-Apso Fever or something? Or that they can’t get this one under control. I don’t think that some of the teams would make it a second time.
    Far fetched, but you might conceivably see combined teams due to a shortage of players, like the Steagles. I think that it might be considered a priority to play NFL Football, for public morale.

Pray that the government is better prepared, equipped, and inclined to deal with the next outbreak.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If the product is as bad as you say then why continue to support it?

18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    That’s a good perspective Roon. I never thought of it that way always just said the NBA product sucks because teams play no D and only 2/3 teams each year could truly win it all. I think you have some valid points with the season being too long. I would argue to a degree though this new spoiled generation of players have a different work ethic than players in the 70s/80s/90s when the NBA game was a much better product. Those guys still played alot of games too. I’d imagine how much money they were making then vs now also is a big factor in how hard guys play.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I think Glenn has a point about accepting change and the fact people still watch. Doesn’t mean everyone of the points you listed has cheapened the game because it certainly has. It’s a worse product than the 90s and early 2000s because of these rule changes and taking the physicality out of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The qb rules are are producing garbage plays, garbage calls, garbage games. Might as well put a skirt on them so they look like the pansies the NFL wants to promote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This.
    It's not the product I grew up watching, but it's still a great product. I see alot of people complaining, but they keep coming back every week.

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I am 66 years old and have come to terms that I will die without seeing a competitive Pirates team ever again. The owner for the Bucs cares about one thing and that's the money he gets from the league and TV. Several years ago he could have made some in season moves to get a better team and he didn't. That says a lot about him. I used to go to old Forbes field all the time to watch the Pirates. I wouldn't pay a dime to watch them now.

23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    100% correct! Really pisses me off because the BUCS got me through my childhood. Forbes was heaven to me. The playoff games at TRS against the Reds that left me crying for days. I always say I'd give up the rest of my life just to experience one more World Series. Not happening:(

24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    WOW so you remember the days of Stargell, Clemente, Mazeroski, Alou, Alley, All those guys! Man almost brings tears to my eyes! maz.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  25. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    My father died when I was a young boy but my greatest memory of him was of him bouncing me off every bed in our house right after Maz hit that shot. He was tossing me all over, in a good way, and we were screaming and yelling. I was a tad bit young to fully appreciate it but him being so pumped up I'll never forget.

• Like Like x 4