1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Reason why the season wasn't cancelled

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I asked this in another thread and it wasn't answered. Is the only reason the NFL went forward with the season because of fear of lost revenue? we can see what a mess it has turned into and figures its the year the Steelers are 10-0 for the first time in franchise history. I was trying to convince myself of the narrative that America needs good ol football for some sense of normalcy, but who am I kidding. I'm not saying they should do it, but would one cancelled season really hurt the NFL?

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers go 16-0 then the season gets cancelled. Imagine? Lol

Then Steelers start off 0-5 next year or some crap

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Covid is a conspiracy to ruin our season.

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The NFL is a business. They are in the business of making money. Every season is played to avoid lost revenue.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would they cancel the season, and miss out on billions of dollars from the tv networks?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    Death, taxes, NFL exceeding their bottom-line.

7. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Thats the question, would one missed season really break them?

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm not sure how this season can be called a mess given the circumstances. We're 11 weeks into the season, and there have been no cancellations or forfeits, just a few rescheduled games. Things may start to go downhill with the increased spread throughout the country, butI think it's gone very well so far.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ask yourself the same question- would one missed year of work break you? Would it break the company you work for?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Of course it was out of fear of lost revenue. Most businesses have lost money, my boss was down 70% and is still down 55% for the year. All the other pro sports leagues took a bath, had to eliminate games. The NFL season is shorter, with a limited stream for that income potential. The problem from the start was they really only had 2 outlets, bye weeks or extending the season. Amazingly they made it through the first half with only one game needing moved, but others played with subpar product because of the amount of players on the list.

They may make it through with some adjustment, with some teams (note Steelers so far) bearing the brunt of the 'damage'. The balancing act will get more dire as virus cases continue to increase. The product on the field (already compromised) might soon lead to cancellations that cannot be played, then you have adopted formulas and an added team for the playoffs. In the end there may be some teams and fans very unhappy, that's the year we are living in.

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think is fairly obvious that losing a season would be catastrophic not just to the NFL but all of the other businesses and employees that depend on the schedules being played. Lots and lots of people depend on the NFL to earn money for the basic necessities in life. Also, I believe that this philosophy is also prevalent with other sports to salvage what they can including NCAA football and their respective universities that depend on the revenue as well to pay for many things to hopefully keep tuitions in check. Its a trickle down impact that is significant to so many.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Its amazing how our expectations change. Before the season most of us were wondering whether or not there would even be a season. Now, the season is almost 3/4 of the way through, and there has only been a handful of rescheduled games. If we were told that back in July, I think we would all have been accepting of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    But we've been inconvenienced! This season sucks!!

(Except for being undefeated and ranked #1 in the league standings after 11 weeks, of course)

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    We were also wondering about Ben's arm and if we could even keep pace with the top team in our division, not to mention the top team in the conference. If only we could split with the Ravens and Browns. And if we could slow down Barkley and Henry, we might split with them. And if we split with the Bills and Colts, that's only one more loss. Then we'll lose at least two to inferior teams. That's a respectful 10-6 and a trip to the playoffs where anything can happen. The NFL had already screwed us with an early season bye and wanted us tired down thw stretch. The post season bye wasn't even remotely in our grasp because the Chiefs already booked reservations at B&B's. There was no possible scenario that had us getting that bye. We'd have to to go fricken undefeated for that to happen!!! Yeah, get worried Dolphins, the Steelers are going undefeated. HAHAHAHAHA!

And so here we are...11 weeks later. Woah

• Like Like x 2
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I say cancel the season and team with best record gets SB. Haha could you imagine the Chief fans if that would happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It's all about the money. Always follow the money. If cancelling the season would have been a more economically viable option then there wouldn't have been a season. The NFL has television contracts to fulfill that they depend on like MLB and NBA. The NHL depends on paid attendance much more than the other pro leagues. So they are asking players to defer around 40% of their salary. Barring that, there may very well be no NHL season at all. It fact, it could bankrupt the league.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    yes, this is the real reason:

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Its clear the messages above answer the 'why. I'm more interested in the 'who'. Who has that power and who makes that call? Doubt the 'figurehead' didn't have permission.

19. Dreamman0

Jun 18, 2013
    Always follow the money!!

20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree totally, but still think they were shortsighted in trying to get in a full 16 game schedule. They might be able to pull it off, but every other had to pull back. Remember the NFL was really the last league to even try and come to terms with a season. A 12 game schedule would have presented far better post season options. Sure that may have put the SB earlier than planned, so what both the NBA and ML had to make major concessions in their championships.

I agree that it has been amazing they have gotten through this far, and everyday with this stuff brings uncertainty for everyone in this world. Nothing is 'fair'right now, but in trying to shove 16 games in no matter what, there is certainly a strain and unfairness that ultimately leads to an inferior product.

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course they want to make money. There's no sin in that.

They're trying to do it as safely as they can (sure, I have criticism for how they're doing it, but they are trying).

And yes. They are serving the public. All sports are. Don't take lightly how important any distraction or entertainment is for the feeling of normalcy or even mental health of people. They gave the players the right to opt out for the season. No one is being forced to play against their will. (And unlike most of us, players could probably sit out a year without serious financial hurt)

We all knew it was going to be messy. So far, it's been going remarkably well all things considered.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Dreamman0

Jun 18, 2013
    They were paid alot for what they've offered. They are doing much better financially than canceling the season. Again 'why' but 'who'?

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You also need to remember that the NFL I would say is the most money hungry of all pro sports. They're going to try to get those billions come hell or high water. This is where that much greed gets you into trouble.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Every team is owned by billionaires (at least on paper). However they got that wealth one thing is for certain, they like retaining that wealth and the power that goes with it. They (I use a collective they) will stand rigid against anything that affects that income flow, but will also bow and relent to anything that will negatively affect that income flow. I think the term used to be 'wishy/washy', Charlie Brown. If they could have filled the stadiums without fear of liability do you not think the stadiums would be filled? Pardon me for doubting the social conscience of the 'owners', some indeed do and display)that through many various civic and charitable efforts, but a Corporation does not have a conscience, and ultimately this is about a Corporation, follow the money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    They would survive but it's the little people who would get hurt. A lot of people count on the work the NFL provides in the stadiums, the sport selling retail stores, etc. etc.

I remember years ago they asked Keith Richards why the Rolling Stones keep touring since they sure the hell no longer need the money. (except Mick, his child support must be obscene.;)) He said a lot of people depend on us financially so we keep playing music.