1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What Could Have Been in 2019

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jay31, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I was thinking if Ben Roethlisberger was healthy, and was able to play at least 14 games last season in 2019, I wonder how good or great the Steelers could have been? I think they could have been between a 11-5 to a 12-4 team. I have been a Steelers fan since 2002, the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers offense was the worst offense I have watched since I became a fan. Even when the Steelers went 6-10 in 2003, they at least had Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, and Jerome Bettis, and I never was the biggest fan of Tommy Maddoxx, but I believe I had more confidence in Tommy in 2003 compared to the confidence I had in either Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges last season. With how the defense was playing last year, Big Ben being healthy in 2019 would have done wonders for the team. His big play ability, able to run the ball, etc. 2019 really showed Ben's value to this team.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ravens were blowing everyone out last season so the Steelers would have been a WC most likely. It wasn’t just Ben, Tuitt went out, Juju and Conner were banged up all year, the team was down to scrubs and was literally signing guys off other teams practice squads and starting them straight away, crazy stuff. It was just one of those years.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers would have been better for sure. But it just wasn't their year. Too many other injuries besides Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If Ben didn't go down, we wouldn't have traded for Minkah. Things would have unfolded vastly different and we might not have ended up with Claypool. And this undefeated season, so far, would not have happened.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Are you sure about that? The Steelers traded for Minkah because Sean Davis was put on injured reserve.

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Positive. Don't agree? Prove me wrong.

7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The past is gone. Why worry about it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Miami had several suitors for Minka. They traded with Pgh because they expected us to only win a couple games, netting them a top 10 pick. We might have still been willing to trade for him but Miami would've traded him elsewhere had Ben been healthy.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Your idea of the proof and actual proof aren't related. Thanks for playing. Pick up your consolation prize at the door and show yourself out.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Ding ding ding! Winner! Thanks for playing. Pick up your trophy of @Formerscribe bending over and taking one up the ass at the door. Feel free to stick around and talk rationally with the rest of us.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 2
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm:

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is possible, but it is just speculation based on more speculation. There are no quotes or other facts that back it up. We don't actually know what Miami was thinking. We don't even know if any other team offered them a first-round pick.

The only facts we have are what Tomlin said, that the Davis injury was significant component of the trade, and that the Steelers had a glaring need at safety.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I provided evidence for my point. You provided bluster and ad hominem attacks. Your entire argument was that you are right because you said so. Then you tried to glom on to someone else's argument because it fits with yours.

Also, I wrote about evidence, not proof. This is all speculation. It would take comments from both teams to actually prove anything and we don't have that. What we do have is evidence, and that is on my side, as usual.

15. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The truth is that we will never know. With that said, Miami was looking to stock pile draft picks and we looked to be dead in the water with at least a top 10 pick. I also don't think they give up a #1 pick to get Minkah with Ben healthy even with Sean Davis out. This team has always tried to use PS players or pick them up off of someone else's scrap heap for years. It was why our defense was so bad for so long, a couple missed draft picks and garbage pile players starting in the secondary.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    When I see replies like this, a song pops into my head, "Were you born an a**hole, or did you work at it your whole life.....?"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers would of made the playoffs no doubt, they been like 10-6 or 11-5 with a healthy Big Ben in 2019.

But, however I think the team is better this year than last year on offense by a ton, additions of Ebron and Claypool making a huge difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Both

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I asked for proof. I asked for proof from someone else. You gave me something I didn't ask for while answering for someone else. Then you show up and complain that I glommed on to someone else's argument. And you used the same words that others say about you to describe me.

Typical scribe. Nothing unique to add to the conversation, inserting yourself and your "version" that doesn't answer the question, and finishing with a warped reality to show that you are right.

I told @steelersrule6 to "prove" me wrong. It can't be proven. Evidence wasn't asked for, and is not proof. That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. It just means that the argument cannot be proven for or against. So you gave "evidence" and 6 gave two facepalms. I'll take that as a win. Thanks to both of you for that.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And you can't disprove the Steelers didn't trade for Minkah because of Davis being on IR :shrug:.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't care what you asked for. The topic was raised and I chose to respond. You are implying that I did something wrong by joining in the discussion. That misses the entire point of a message board. I brought more to the conversation than you did. You stated an opinion that does not fit the facts and supported it with bluster and ad hominem attacks. I brought an opinion and supported it with facts.

Evidence is all we have. Proof would imply that there can be no possible doubt. That would require a confirmation from both teams that the deal would not have happened if Roethlisberger hadn't been hurt. To insist that you must be right because that doesn't exist is just more intellectual dishonesty on your part. The only victory you earned there was in your own delusions. I presented a stronger argument, as I always do when we debate. That isn't pride on my part. You are just that bad at this.

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Which all happened after Ben went down. Butterfly effect.

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You forgot to whine about Switzer.

24. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You made great points. The domino effects of Ben Roethlisberger's injury maybe was a blessing in disguise.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The need for a safety existed regardless of Roethlisberger's situation. Roethlisberger's injury had nothing to do with Davis going on IR.

The argument that they might not have gotten Claypool, however, makes more sense. If the Steelers traded for Fitzpatrick and they had Roethlisberger, they almost definitely end up with a better record and a lower pick in the second round. Of course, you brought that in later after your initial point failed.