1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chase Claypool - great rookie season but long way to go to reach Moss

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    First of all I am huge Claypool fan and his numbers are impressive, so I looked to see what was the best rookie WR ever in the NFL. Randy Moss posted the following numbers:

69 receptions, 1313 yards and 17 TDs

Now I don’t think Claypool will come close to these numbers in fact I don’t know if any one will, but just to be in this area is really promising. I think Claypool can finish with 14 TDs this year, the other numbers are not close, however I think Chase has a bright future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sure Moss also got a lot more targets than Claypool.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Randy Moss rookie pic looks like Metallica members photos on Kill em All debut album. Moss looked pissed off and ready to kick ass.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's having a hell of a season, but most HOF'ers can't be compared to Moss, so we probably shouldn't hold it against Claypool if he doesn't quite match Moss' stats lol

5. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I always worry more about receptions than I do targets. A bad QB can result in a lot of passes that are difficult or impossible to catch. Claypool is on pace for 62 receptions and Moss got 69 receptions his rookie year. Not far off. But like I said in my earlier post, Moss is one of the greatest ever.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He has a long way to go to match yards but he is on pace to beat him on TD’s

He’s also the first WR to score 10 TD’s in his first 10 games since NFL-AFL merger.

7. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    He's a developing wr on a team with many others. Unselfish and supportive of his teammates. You're right, he's no Moss and hopefully never will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Randy Moss was one of a kind. His blend of size, speed and strength was truly once in a generation. The fact that Claypool is getting close is nothing short of incredible.

Again, he has become the first Rookie in the AFL/NFL Merger to have 10 Touchdowns in his first Ten Games. Even Randy Moss could not accomplish this; Jerry Rice the same. Heck, even Megatron himself was unable to.

As opposed to compare him to the likes of Moss, how about we appreciate Claypool's accomplishments?! The fact that Chase is doing so well should be not just a testament to how well Big Ben is doing but also the entire Offense the same. Pittsburgh finally has a "Thermonuclear Option" to round out the Offense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't care about Moss, he was a cancer in a lot of ways.

Claypool, IMHO, just has that look. His body language, his effort, his facial expressions, they all tell me this kid is real and he will not be an issue for anyone other than opposing DC's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    When I started reading your post I was thinking about how Claypool is what Ben has always wanted.....and then you rang the bell. Ben's ability to see match-ups combined with Claypool's size/talent are a superior combination.

11. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Are you guys really comparing Claypool, or frankly, anyone else, to Randy Moss?
    I don’t care about a stat or graphic or any ignorant article. Randy Moss is one of the greatest receivers to ever play the game. He is in the pantheon with Rice and only a few others who were literally could not be guarded.

Chase Claypool is a great rookie receiver. Does that mean he will progress and ascend to the level of the all-time greats? Of course not. So let’s stop making silly comparisons that will only result in disappointment down the line. I can see it already, 2-3 years now, ‘I can’t believe some of you thought Claypool would be the next Randy Moss’.

can’t you just enjoy the young man’s production without comparing him to an all-time player?

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The last I checked Moss is in the studio. Who cares. I don't. Its just a stat line.

Chase Claypool is a multi talented player, a beast who can't be covered unless dragged down. Size and strength. And has something Moss will never have, humility.

This kid has burst on the scene and this Steeler Fan is grateful that 10 wide receivers were picked before him and he landed to us.

His best is yet to come...

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I think Claypool also dropped a couple of touchdowns this year. I don't remember Moss dropping anything. That said Claypool has a great future, just work on the jugs machine all off season.

14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Seems like he is due for another 4 TD day this week. :shrug:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Anybody want JK Dobbins still?

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Rich Walsh!!!

:lolol:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No one is saying he is Randy Moss, we’re saying he can match his rookie stats, 2 of them anyway, receptions and TD’s. Yards is too far away, he’d have to go on a real tear.

The fact that he has 10 TDS in his first 10 games is amazing in itself.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course, he's a great player. Don't want him at the expense of Claypool, but I'd love to have him on the team over Connor

19. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Yeah Dobbins is really turning a corner for them. They should maybe rest him against the Steelers though lol.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wonder what the Steelers have in store for him because he went over 100 last time.

I’m encourage that they held Robinson to 73 yards and no score. Steelers we’re definitely hurting with some injuries that they have back now.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hopefully Avery Williamson can be a bit more in the focus now. Same goes for an increased usage of Marcus Allen. Both will be needed come Thanksgiving.

22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Moss wouldn't have had those numbers in another system. Not taking anything away from him, he was an amazing receiver. But some players' stat lines are made by their situation as much as their talent. It's being in the right place at the right time. Perfect storm.

Now, Moss went on to prove his worth beyond the situation. But his rookie numbers were part being a special player and part being in a special situation. The same could be said for Claypool, but his numbers might even be greater in a system that featured him more. Or far less if he had gone to another team, say the Jets? Think about the accolades he would be missing out on if Flacco was his qb this season.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Quite a few here were starting to believe AB could challenge jerry rice's numbers...….

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Robinson averaged 4.1 ypc....had the game been closer and he gotten more carries, his numbers quite possibly would have been very embarrassing for us :(