1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't we have a running game?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    No matter what opposing opinions are argued about here, I think everyone knows that balance on offense is critical and will become more critical as the season goes on.

We have nothing resembling a running game.....WHY?

Is it because we don't have a decent running back?

Is it because our O-line can't run block?

Is it because we don't have a legitimate OC?

It's my belief that this is just another finger pointing directly at our OC; and here is why.

1. If you have a decent O-line and a solid OC, an average running back can be successful and I think we have a couple of above average running backs.
    2. This leaves either the O-line or the OC and since our O-line has some very good talent, and protects our biggest asset very well, that leaves the OC.
    3. If our O-line is talented enough to provide exceptional protection for an old QB, I think that with the proper coaching, they are capable of run blocking.
    4. Maybe Ben checks out of a lot of plays and runs what he sees/wants to run? And we all know Ben loves to throw the ball. But ........ if we had a competent OC and a balanced offense BEN WOULDN'T NEED TO CHECK OUT OF THE CALLED PLAYS.
    I love to watch Ben light it up with these talented young receivers but we are methodically becoming solely dependent on Ben and if he gets hurt we will instantly become very beatable team because we have no running game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I have been concerned about this pretty much since Bell left. I wasn't upset to see Bell leave after the way he acted at all, but we just haven't had a back that can fill that kind of role consistently since then.

I like Conner and think he has a great story, but he's just not a feature back like we need, IMO. He seems to me, more often than not, to hit the line instead of hitting holes. Yeah, the line is responsible for opening holes, but I feel like he's not making opportunities like Bell would have.

It feels like the Steelers are back to the "running back by committee" style of play that they were doing between Mendenhall and Bell (with Dwyer, Redman, etc.) and that wasn't good.

I like Conner and I'm rooting for him, but we need someone who can make things happen more consistently instead of just hitting a wall as often.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Play calling meaning to predictable .. Pouncey is not getting the same push and not pulling as well .. RB looking to bounce to much not trusting the blocking ... I have a thread with a 1 back power using a WR to make it 2 RB'S ..This would help the blocking and help unclog the box .Also it takes 1 run stopper off the field no way can any LB guard or tackle Ray Ray in space..I would also use some T , but no way our OC could expand to that , but formations and wrinkles are a good way to help your OL play ..Simple Football just make it easier for them with formations and play calling...

4. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I never liked running out of the shotgun all of the time, and Big Al is bullrushed on every pass play, so i am pretty sure it is happening on run plays too.

I also believe teams are scouting us, and they see that 90% of are pass plays are for only 5 yards, so they probably feel more confident crowding the line of scrimmage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe use the wildcat like last season.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our O line gets pushed back

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I've noticed this as well but I wonder if it isn't by design because once the initial push happens, they create a nice pocket for Ben?

• Like Like x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Because the offensive line and TEs have difficulty consistently blocking up front. They rarely get a push, someone gets beat, or someone gets pushed into the backfield. People can point the finger at the coaches all they want but the tape doesn't lie.

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Conner IS NOT a speed back...These shotgun handoffs, which Conner often receives 7 yards behind the LOS... Always look scary as Hell... Especially when running outside the Tackles ( which they do way to often ) Where he now has to gain 7 yards, just to get back to the LOS

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We can pass because Ben gets rid of the ball quick, AND these guys are pretty good at guiding the pass rushers away from Ben. When it comes to pure strength we look bad lol

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    100% on Ben getting rid of it fast. I just refuse to believe that if you take those five guys, and work on run blocking, we couldn't create a good enough run game to create some balance. I think it's simple logic that if they can do one, they can do the other............if it's a priority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I actually really like Conner and think he's a good back - I'd even venture to say he'd go somewhere else (with a decent line, of course) and do very well. 1) teams are selling out to stop Pittsburgh's run; unfortunately for them, Ben has been on another level for much of the year and just now seems to be hitting his stride. 2) the run blocking has been atrocious, and that may be an understatement. Conner has to make adjustments but he's not getting any space.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The first 5 games of the year, the Steelers were averaging over 130 yards/game on the ground.
    So despite the past 3 games, I am not ready to declare a disaster.

Tomlin mentioned that balance doesn't mean 50/50 run/pass, but that a team is capable of running or passing, depending on what the defense is giving up. I think opposing teams saw the first 5 games, with the Steelers running & Ben using short passes. I believe (but don't have stats) that the last few games the other defense were loading up the box to prevent that.

Now that Ben has made opposing teams pay with a stronger passing game, we'll see if opposing defenses try to take away the deep ball (testing Ben's patience to not force deep passes anyways). If the Steelers can't run when the other team is backing away from the LoS, then I'll be worried.

Or to put it another way: Ben only threw for 148 yards against Browns. The Steelers only ran for 44 yards against the Bengals. The team still put up 38 and 36 points in those games. Better to exploit the other teams weaknesses, than worry about an artificial goal like balance. (The Steelers can be one-sided, if the other team can't stop it.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Please stop! This is nonsense. The Bengals packed the LOS to stop the run the Steelers countered by using the pass to beat their ass by 26 points. Again this is not the 76 Steelers we need to throw the Football, we have arguably the best receiving core in football, stop with Green Bay Packer 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree with the OP that our run game lacks something that I believe the OC can adjust from but hasn't. The tape may look like our OL is not getting push but if the other team is crowding the LOS and knows what we are doing, no line will be able properly block to gain good yardage. Bell had a knack of waiting for lanes to open and then shooting through but Conner isn't that type of a back. Giving him off tackle plays is bad as he is, or should be, a straight line RB based on his size and speed. We have the talent to get the running game going but the play calling is to me very suspect and not being tailored to the skill sets of the offense. Any opposing DC can look at the tape and break the code of what play is coming. This isn't rocket science. Also, never liked running plays from shot gun all the time. That is nuts. Short yardage situation and 5=6 OL trying to block 8 defenders in the box with no lead blocking. Insanity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I've said it before, and don't laugh... RUN game looked much better with Dotson in as opposed to Decastro...And sadly ( being an ex Lineman I often like to watch the inner workings,game within the game ) functions of the OL...And I'm here to tell ya, Pouncey is about done! NO push in the run game, And now his once elite athleticism is also gone!... Eventually this happens to even the Best!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, a great back may be a better then Conner, however Conner is an okay back. The problem other then some bad design running plays, play calling, is that our linemen look like they are pass blocking on running plays. They often get stood up and pushed back. How many times that Conner runs into the back of our linemen. After doing this a couple of times Conner then wants to bounce it to the outside and there are no blockers there and Conner is not the fastest to get to the outside.

We do not get a strong push from our offensive linemen, and when you get stood up in run blocking your going to get pushed back, that's why we have so many running plays for loses behind the line. I believe we really miss MUNCHAK or a good run blocking teacher. I know that the Bengals stacked the box but we still have no push and this has been going on for several games now.

We should just work on linemen sled blocking all week and get them in a run pushing blocking mindset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    the why is simple. Our two guards and center have been below average when it comes to run blocking. Pouncey isn’t getting any push in the middle. Feiler looks lost trying to pull amd decastro hasn’t been much better. I’m hoping decastro will improve with playing time. He missed three games so hopefully some reps will help him. I don’t think there’s much help for pouncey or feiler. Pouncey is at the end of his career and feiler will be leaving via free agency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I see what you're seeing but I don't know that the cause is a simple lack of talent. There are a number of things that could "appear" as lack of talent but really aren't:
    1. Lack of preparation for that play.
    2. Lack of emphasis on that concept during practice.
    3. Lack of technique being taught.
    4. Poor play design based on the available talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And if you
    Also you can adjust and do more Combo blocks at the POA if needed ..Motion the TE behind the OL to pick up back side pursuit . Use Mcfarland and run some quick pitches to make the LB'S run to the sideline ..Lots of ways to get creative , but it seems we have 2 running plays well 3 if you count the Jet Sweep..

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree on making adjustments but we don't. We have no new ways of getting creative, that's my biggest problem with our OC. He was not creative when we didn't have Ben last year and had our 2nd' and 3rd string QB playing. The only thing he tried creative was running a badly designed wildcat with Samuels and it backfired on them. He hasn't tried anything creative since.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Little bit of truth to every reason why the Steelers have had trouble running the ball the last few games. Scheme, stacking the box, personnel, commitment, etc. Most of these items are correctable, so I won't panic.

I've never really cared for Ben insisting on playing out of the shotgun most of the time. I don't know what percentage of plays he is under center, but it has to be shockingly low. So, I agree with whoever pointed out the folly of handing off 7 yards behind the LOS against a stacked box to a running back that lacks the speed to get outside. I also think it might be time to see if KD can play left guard. He is a bull dozer and would help Pouncey and DD inside.

I also understand that passing is paramount in 2020 NFL football. However, you have to at least have a legit threat at gaining yards on the ground at critical times of the game. The running game needs to be massaged in practice, and the Jax game would be a good place to start. Plus, an adequate running game opens up so much more in the passing game.

23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I don’t have an answer, but at the beginning of the year, we were running the ball well. We have the personnel.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    A lot of good solid points in this post!

I am a HUGE Ben fan because he is the key to our winning, and he is always about winning. But I agree that if Ben wants to play exclusively from the gun, and that creates difficulty against a stacked box (which it would), then we need a coaching staff with the balls to over-ride him and the knowledge to do it better! And our staff lacks both of those IMHO

25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    More good solid points, however Ben is who Ben is and is better in the shotgun in reading defenses. Also just want to point out as a QB gets older it's harder on the old knees to bend down under center and to back pedal away on passing downs. He should go under center to help the running game but I wouldn't want to hurt the passing game.