1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I knew it dude was leveraging!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It says leverage to block, but I'm pretty sure you can't leverage off the LS to get through a gap either before jumping. The rule is there so that he's not in that vulnerable position with the chance of blowing his knee out!

Should have been flagged IMHO. What if he does that and lands on the side of his leg? McCullers got flagged for shooting the gap last year, no leverage, just shooting the gap!

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/m...n-fg-block-but-there-is-something-to-chew-on/

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    His response of them having an aggressive field goal blocking unit is still no excuse for not trying the FG in that situation to put them ahead by 8. If Danny Smith can't adjust the blocking then he is the problem.

ST's was horrible that game other than Jordan Berry's punting, ironically.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    59 yard FG was pretty stout too

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I wouldn't be so sure if he kicks in that situation even without the "aggressive ST play" or our ineptness that day.

Not putting the game in D. Smith's hands played its part as well as time left on the clock, the score, field position, momentum & personnel on the field that will be deciding the outcome.

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Anyhow, conservative teams lose against us. Got to go for the gold.

6. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

This says it all. They should have been flagged. I've got to move on, but this still pisses me off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He felt comfortable doing a 59 but not a 32 :dontknow:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    The 4th and 1, and we go for it after accumulating like 10 yards running all day. Even after Bos kicks a 59 yarder? This will stick with me the rest of the season, and if we don't win the Superbowl, I'm going to mention it in every thread until training camp!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Tomlin was trying to end the game, jesus, people. It had nothing to do with worrying about kicking a field goal. The play would have worked if the left side of the offensive line didnt decide to have the worst blocking of the year.

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That’s a bold move cotton, let’s see how it plays out

• Like Like x 1
  11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tomlin on the leveraging....

Q. I want to be clear that I am not asking you to comment on the officiating in the game against Dallas. During an appearance on the DVE Morning Show, Gene Steratore said the Cowboys were guilty of leverage violations on placement attempts by Chris Boswell. Can you explain what leverage is in that context?

A. They utilized a man to elevate themselves in an effort to get through a gap and/or block a kick, which is illegal. We all know it's illegal. We've just had issues in terms of getting it officiated consistently, and some of it probably has to do with vantage point. I'm not in those meetings, but I know that it's troublesome, particularly when it has the potential to be game-altering.

12. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again..the NFL rulebook is the worst piece of technical writing I think I've ever seen. It's incredibly poorly written, organized, and indexed. Look at that rule introduction. They use 2 sentences to explain that unsportsmanslike conduct is something that is understood to be unsportsmanlike conduct. Brilliant! And then the 3rd sentence? "specifically, among others:" REALLY? The English teacher in me wants to blow my brains out when I read this thing!

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be, or not to be, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous grammar,
    Or to take arms against a sea of spelling errors
    And by opposing end them ... with proper punctuation ...

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is maddening to realize the officials couldn't figure that out during the game. I don't remember seeing Tomlin doing much to point it out, either, during the game. It very nearly cost the Steelers the game. It did cost them two points. (If one extra point isn't blocked, they don't go for two points on the final touchdown. If they make both, they are leading by seven points when they face that fourth-and-one. If they know they can protect the kicker, there is no doubt they let Boswell try it to put the game away.)

In short, the Steelers should have been able to send Boswell out there to clinch the game on their last possession rather than having to sweat out that final drive by the Cowboys.