1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes. A few months have passed.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I can’t believe Negan and Alpha doing the nasty hasn’t been mentioned

3. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    We're all desperately trying to purge that from our memory.

As is Negan, i'm sure.

4. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    So we get to see "the colony", Carol gets her revenge, yet the board is silent...

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    That wasn't the colony. Just a pit stop in Pittsburgh. :) They met Princess there in the comics too, but after that, Pittsburgh doesn't feature again in the story. Just Kirkman's nod to Romero.

EDIT: That was NOT Pittsburgh. It was in the comics, but the show runners have confirmed that this city wasn't Pittsburgh. Partly because where they're going is different than in the comics, so Pittsburgh would be out of the way. And partly because the head overall "Universe" guy (Gimple) who overseas all stories from all 3 shows plus future movies specifically told them not to use Pittsburgh. Most likely because the city WILL feature in another story down the line.

The colony will be elsewhere.

Next week... never mind. But based on the title of the episode, it's going to be BRUTAL.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    You title an episode, "The Tower," and that's it?!?!?

Come on, man. You know comic fans see that title and IMMEDIATELY think of a certain event that should be happening at this point in the story. Instead, we get the gang hanging out in the same damned hospital Beth died in?!?!?

I mean, it can't be story wise. But it's the same location and they didn't even bother trying to disguise it! Ugh.

7. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Haha what? I didn't even notice that until now. That's funny.

8. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Apparently I just watched the season finale 6 months after it was supposed to air and there won't be any more episodes until 2021. WTF? Are they not even trying anymore?

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I’m guessing production was halted because of covid

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    As Strummer said, production was halted due to Covid. The season finale didn't air when it was originally supposed to because the studio got shut down while there was still a lot of post production to be done on it. Thus, the 6 month delay.

Yeah, we have to wait a bit longer for the next season, but it'll be super sized at 22 episodes instead of the normal 16. And in case you hadn't heard, next season will be the last. TWD (original) is ending. In the mean time, FTWD might be better than it ever was. And there's a new spin off called TWD: The World Beyond.

I have to be honest. The new spin off so far is kinda lame. Only maybe 2 likeable characters and the plot DRAGS. But the show does have some good stuff like insights and hints into who the CRM is and how ruthless they can be. And the show is only meant to run 2 seasons and it ends. It's real purpose is further world building leading up to the Rick movies.

Along with the Rick movies, there's 2 more Walking Dead shows coming after the main show ends. One will be an anthology type show - each episode a self contained story featuring some familiar characters (many who have been long dead. Abraham in particular was teased) and some new faces. Plus a spin off centering around Daryl and Carol (so I guess they already spoiled that those 2 live).

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Hooray for Dwight!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually completely forgot about this show. I kept watching through season 10, but my heart wasn't in it anymore, and neither was my wife's, and it felt like it was the same for the show itself. My wife wouldn't even watch season 10, but I tried to. I got several episodes in and just quit watching it, without really deciding to quit. It just kind of happened. Too bad, because I loved the show for the first 5 or 6 seasons.

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

FTWD is still pretty solid.

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    You're not alone. Between Rick leaving the show, Karl's death, and the show getting very dark post-Negan, lot's of people fell away.

But honestly, the show found it's second wind in season 10. And despite the "trendy" attitude of hating on FTWD, I think it's actually better than the main show. Aside from maybe Daryl Maggie and Judith, FTWD has the better - more relatable - characters. FTWD made a huge misstep a couple seasons ago in killing off one of the leads (that many fans refuse to believe is actually dead), and that caused a backlash where people began hating on the show. But that's out of spite. The fact is the show has been awesome the past 2.5 years, and had an influx of much better characters than it began with. And the way the show runners have been talking lately, I think even they know that <redacted> getting killed off was a mistake. Luckily for them, it was off screen and assumed. We never saw the death or body. They could always bring them back.

The new show (TWD: The World Beyond) so far is mostly bad. And I blame the characters, or maybe the actors. There's only 2, and potentially a third character to even give a single **** about. The rest of the cast can all be killed off next episode, and I wouldn't care at all. But the little bits of info they drop on CRM (which leads to all 3 shows and future movies) keep me watching.

15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually really enjoyed FTWD. I haven't seen season 5 yet, but I really enjoyed the show, despite hearing that a lot of people were hating on it. I do want to catch up on that at some point.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Interesting. I watched Season 1 of FTWD, and bailed on it because I couldn't find a single character that was worth watching the show for (except for some of the walkers).

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    morgan is a mainstay now. It appears Dwight formerly of the saviors will have play a fairly significant role now as well

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Most of the original cast is gone. The best character from the end of season 1 and season 2 was Strand. He's still around as is Daniel Salazar. 2 best original characters IMO. And Alicia because... Alicia. Hey, I'm a red blooded man. What can I say? ;)

But along with Morgan and Dwight, there's newer characters (last 2 seasons and the current ones) that also turned the show around. Specifically John Dorie and Althea. Which IMHO, gives FTWD the better core of characters over the main show right now. Sure, there were some weak points when the show started getting reworked, but they're all fixed now. Good cast, solid story.

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    oh Alicia is fine, but Maggie is still fire

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No argument. :)

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve actually begun getting the itch to start watching this again, I left after Jesus was killed. What season was that in? I caught some of Alpha and just was not a character I could get into, Negan is a tough act to follow as a bad guy and I was just like, eh, really?

I didn’t mean to fall out of FTWD but like Ohio said, just kind of happened and then realized I was no longer watching it. And you are right, so and so’s death was a big mistake.

I think both shows are guilty of trying to ride the gravy train for too long. FTWD wad only supposed to be the beginnings of the whole pandemic, at least I thought that’s what it was. Now it’s just another Walking Dead with different characters.

22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    So my wife, out of the blue, wanted to start season 10 again yesterday (she had no idea I had posted about it here). We weren't even sure where we had left off, and figured out that we were about 30 minutes into episode 2 (the one where Alpha meets Beta). We're up to episode 5 now.

One thing I realized, and I think this is part of what caused us to lose interest, is that even though we've watched every single season since the show premiered, 3/4 of the characters (actually probably more) are more or less unknowns. It feels like a show of random actors with 3 or 4 main characters, whereas the show had a good cast of main and supporting characters before.

I also feel like the show was good the first several seasons because despite the hardships and threats, Rick's group always stood up to the challenge, and didn't let anyone keep them down. Since the Negan thing began (or shortly after, anyway), it feels like the satisfaction of seeing the group overcome the odds had been replaced by scared, timid people, more afraid to stand up for themselves. I get the idea of having to be cautious and smart when a threat is too large, but it feels too much like timidity and giving up to me.

But we're going to finish season 10, and I am feeling a little nostalgic about it after having been such a huge fan for so long, so there is that at least.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I won't mince words here. The first season of TWD: World Beyond sucked out loud. It was absolutely horrible! But they sprinkled in just enough little tidbits suggesting a huge, world building lore that kept the tease up to keep you watching.

I just saw the trailer for season 2 (and the last season. It was only ever intended to run 2 years). Yes. Trailers can make anything look good. Take it with a grain of salt. But HOLY @#@%%%@&%$!!! Does that actually look GOOD! I guess last year was all setup, and this year is the thrill ride. And the little tease at the end of the trailer made me really smile. Now, I was never a fan of Jadis / Anne from the main show. But it was always suggested she was uber connected. Seeing Anne (Jadis) in full CRM uniform? Looks like they have a plan after all. And since Anne (Jadis) was the last person to see Rick alive (and saved his ass literally getting him air lifted to actual civilization to treat his wounds), now we're really cooking.

Will be fun to see how all 3 shows eventually mesh.

Sidenote: I really think it's funny that this whole CRM subplot becoming the main thread connecting all stories rose out of an editing mistake! :roflmao:They had a helicopter accidentally in the background of an episode. Wasn't intended. But fans ran away with conspiracy theories about the "black helicopter." And so inspiration for a new story element began. CRM does not exist at all in the comic. But the way they're buidling it up, no other civilization in that world holds a candle to it. Not our heroes communities. Not the saviors. Not even the Commonwealth and their 50K population.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Strand drinking Lagavulin

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice touch. Back in season 3 I think, he was reminiscing with Madison about the one bar they found that had Lagavulin. Say whatever you want about his character or integrity. But the man has good taste.

I doubt he and Ron Swanson would get along though. :roflmao: