1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsung players...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Oct 26, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hawkins quietly had a very good game. The reason many of the runs were successful. I said before he was playing the best I have seen him at the time he was traded. He has improved on that so far. He stepped in for chuks on a few plays as well. I'm glad he's back. They may have to ex-wife him for next year. Just another guy doing the dirty work to make this machine function well. McDonald, hilton, sutton, Hawkins, alualu, spillane. All of these guys are that kind of player this year making this team better and doing it under the radar for the most part. Just wanting to give them some love for it.:applaud::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Can't say enough about edmunds' solid play either

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He must be doing well, cause the constant ripping on him has been non existent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I am perfectly fine not hearing his name during the game. Good sign.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Edmunds still doesn't make splash plays, but he has improved. After last season, the bar is low, but he is clearing it.

Alualu needs to be getting a lot of respect. He just keeps showing up by penetrating or at least shoving blockers into the backfield. I was concerned about the position when Hargrave left, but Alualu has been fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Edmunds has been everyone's whipping boy. But he played very solid yesterday and almost had an INT.

I think Tyson Allauh at 34 should be given much more credit.

AL V has been a little more solid at LT this year than last year, Chuks hasn't been bad but can't have the flags all the time.

McCloud has been very huge, he's great on returns, and you can use him for some long bombs or trick plays, total upgrade over Ryan Switzer, a wise move to bring him in at the end of camp.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We're going to keep butting heads on this whole "splash plays" issue. Yesterday was a great example of why splash plays are important, but not as important as doing the little things right.

The Titans had the splash plays, the turnovers, the momentum stopping successes. We had lunch pail, blue collar, hard nosed success. We tackled. We converted 3rd downs, we sacrificed. And the big plays? The splash plays? They blew up in our faces. Ray-Ray had a nice return. That was big. He made a terrible decision to cut back to the left instead of allowing a blocker to give him separation and lost the touchdown as a result. Didn't hurt us in the end, but it could have. Point is, those splash plays might have kept the Titans in the game, but they didn't win it for them. And our lack of splash plays didn't lose it for us.

Do the little things right, blocking, tackling, hitting, being disciplined, and most of the time, you'll be successful. A splash play here and there is great, as long as you are doing the important things right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Didn’t hear Alualu’s name much nor did I see him much yesterday. I’m sure he didn’t play 100% of the snaps in previous games, but Montreaux played quite a bit of snaps yesterday. Who relieved Alualu in previous games? And what happened to our FA signee Wormley?

9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Mongrel (my nickname for Montreaux, copyright TGD 2020) wasn't even credited on the stat sheet. Alualu was credited with 2 tackles, one solo, one assisted. Mongrel was kind of a liability. Spelling your defense is important, but #99 wasn't quite ready for prime time. Hopefully he gets coached up and prepared better if he's going to be called on in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He did well as a lead blocker.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    It’s his first regular season game so I wasn’t surprised. But why was he playing instead of Buggs or Wormley?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    His hair? Maybe he needed a game check to afford someone to do something with that mop.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    How'd McCullers do :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Of course, you need both, but defensive players who can't make big plays are limited in their contributions. In this case, I'm talking about big plays on defense. That doesn't just mean turnovers. It can mean sacks or tackles for a loss. Edmunds doesn't make those types of play very often. He didn't even make many his final year at Virginia Tech.

I don't have a problem with the way Edmunds is playing right now. He is exceeding the very low expectations I have for him. If he can be a solid player, like the third-round selection he should have been, I'd be very happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Alualu seemed to be playing his usual amount. I'm not sure how you missed him. Watch for the guy shoving the center into the backfield.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

Mondeaux? Or did I miss something?

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A resounding endorsement for a defensive end.

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You didn't. I was questioning the spelling as I typed it but just followed the misspelling like the good little sheep that I am.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wormly went out with a knee injury and I think that might have contributed to him seeing more playing time. Buggs might have been in Tomlin's dog house although I'm not sure why since the limited snaps he saw against Cleveland he didn't stink up the place. Maybe had a bad week of practice or could be that Mongo has a bit of experience at FB like Nix had and they thought it might come in handy as a position flexibility thing.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Just fulfilling the destiny of last years hopeful Sutton Smith. Give the guy a few more weeks and he will running in TD's like the Fridge did for the Bears.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    These are the guys that create a championship team, and I stress team. You cannot do it without the TJ's and Cam's, but if you can get consistent good play from the bench you have built a very strong contender.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For me, Chukwuma Okorafor, Kevin Dotson, Alex Highsmith and Cameron Sutton have been mine. Not even close for any of them in my opinion. I do see the team attempting to groom Sutton into Joe Haden's replacement as Joe's Cap Hit is monstrous; $15.5 Million via Sportrac. As opposed to draft a Corner to see if he can be slotted into the lineup, I would rather keep that continuity in tact by cutting Haden, resign Hilton and perform a restructure to extend Sutton after the "TJ Watt Mega Deal" is complete. Strike that iron while it is hot as Suttons value will only skyrocket from there.

As for Chuks, have always placed all my proverbial chips on the table for him. Immense athletic talent with potential yet to be tapped. He is beginning to tap into that potential in his inaugural season. Sure, having three penalties is definitely not something one would want to have but such penalties are necessary as growing pains are needed to become better. All I know is that Chuks has only given up one sack; to Myles Garrett no less. He has given up some pressures but none that had me concerned. His run blocking though is still a bit a work in progress but the previous two weeks have been very encouraging to see. As far as I see it though, he is the long term answer at Offensive Tackle; where exactly though is to be determined as I do not think Big Al will be with the team in 2021.

Regarding Kevin Dotson; take everything I said about Chuks, greatly improve my assessment of his run blocking ability, switch out Big Al for Matt Feller and that is pretty much it. Nothing much else to say about him. I was ecstatic when we selected him as many considered him to be a Top 75 pick. I believe many teams are regretting that choice as he is a keeper; Baltimore doubly so as the loss of Yanda is immense.

Lastly, Alex Highsmith is progressing far faster than I thought. His snap counts continually going up is a major step in the right direction; 27 in the past three weeks vs 28 in the first three. That one snap difference is a bit odd but in comparison to Ola Adeniyi, 26 snaps in the first three weeks vs 12 in the past three, Alex has earned more trust than Ola. Part of that is his rapid improvement in his ability to set the edge; his major shortcoming heading into the NFL Season as a Rookie. His edge setting improvement was on full display during the Titans game in which he not only maintained his edge assignment but stuffed Derrick Henry like it was nothing. He still needs to get that first sack but no point in rushing it. However, he did have a rep where he went toe to toe against Corey Davis on a Slant Route. While Corey would win that rep, Highsmith stopped him for little gain; a major positive for him. Look for him to get better as the season rolls on.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Speaking of Sutton. What’s this about?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...MlpmjM2FcgPxB-bFA1EBo6OfJNA7U3K8joQhmicAICynY

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019