1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Sutton needs some love

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Oct 25, 2020.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He played a hell of a game today. Things are looking good for him

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Sutton would be getting a lot more time on most defences. He is terrific.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Said it many times today. He was all over the place in a good way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Cam Sutton was a beast today. I wonder if he might have played himself into a larger role in the defense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    He just needs a chance to play. That is all that is needed. Now, if Hilton comes back next week, that bodes even better for us.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He did play very well. He gave up a touchdown, but all corners do.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sutton immediately looked to the middle of the field after that TD like something was wrong, I'll have to watch the rewind tomorrow. But I'm guessing there was a pick or a missed assignment. Hopefully there will be a better/wider angle somewhere. I'm curious to see if it was all on Sutton.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think he's coming into his own now. Good news for the Steelers

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers backups, 2nd string..could field an entire team better than Cowboys and Jets. Not joking.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Kind of crazy that, at least for right now, the weakest link in the secondary seems to be Minkah. That's a good problem to have, since I'm not too worried that he can play better. By the way doesn't Butler also deserve some love? There sure were a lot of critics of him here before.

• Like Like x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Watched that Sutton TD again to Corey Davis and it looked like it was all on Sutton, he gave up inside leverage pretty easily. He was johnny on the spot for most of game though.

VW98 laid the wood on Tannehill on 2nd down causing that fumble one play earlier. Too bad Pittsburgh didn't recover.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would hope so!!

If Cameron Sutton continues to impress, the team still has a decision to make on Joe Haden. Given the fact that Joe Haden is slipping a bit week by week, I wonder if the team's succession plan is Cameron Sutton as the Outside Corner. He has experience there already.

Keep in mind that Haden's cap hit next season is $15.5 Million. Getting rid of him would save some much needed cap space for certain. Granted, nothing is set in stone right now but I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

13. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Cam is awesome....That’s my Dog!!!

keep balling Bro!!!

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    That fumble and the 2-3 in the hand picks that were dropped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cam Sutton needs to play more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    With Bush out and teams passing more than ever I think a Dime or 6 D back formation could be important down the stretch. Edmunds and Hilton can play closer to the LOS to help with the run still.

Minkah
    Edmunds
    Nelson
    Haden
    Sutton
    Hilton
    VW
    Bud
    TJ
    Hayward
    Tuitt

or Alulu for VW pending the situation.

Id like to see a lot of that lineup on 2nd and 3rd Downs.

17. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We've been "allowing" slot receivers to run free across the middle all season. It's terrible db play across the board that isn't getting corrected. Either getting beat in man coverage (highly doubtful that was man coverage - Sutton on Davis is a huge mismatch), too slow a reaction by defenders as receivers move through zones, or bad positioning.

I tend to think it's the positioning. Our db's seem to be out of position a lot. I don't know if they're reacting to the plays wrong and not adjusting to the patterns properly or if they are actually playing the defense properly and simply not being put in winnable situations.

One thing is for sure, there is a breakdown somewhere and too often there is no help available when the initial defender either loses his man or releases him. And that has not been corrected through 6 games. You're not going to win every battle. The other team has good players trying to beat you. It wouldn't be so hard to swallow a long touchdown if the receiver made a great catch with someone in good coverage. But to be running free, uncontested, with the safety out of position taking bad angles, well, that's not cool when it happens every game.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    All hands on deck going forward. With the Hilton injury Sutton stepped up big. I am not as down on Fitzpatrick as some. Usually there is always a secondary player that is getting chastised on a weekly basis. As a unit I feel they are getting stronger. And how about Edmonds? Finally getting some props.

19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Cam Sutton, if he had some out as a junior, was a borderline 1st rounder. He went back for his senior year, fractured his ankle, and dropped to us in the third round.

He's always been a quality cornerback, but his limitations (his size) mean he'll play best out of the slot. Which is why Hilton may be allowed to walk next year.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No way Haden returns with a cap hit like that, and with him starting to show his age.

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Unlikely, but I wouldn't say no way. We've kept people around too long before and let some go too early. You just never know. Tomlin could be thinking Joe needs to retire a Steeler, for all we know.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    It appeared to me that Sutton was lined up on Davis' outside shoulder and Davis was close to the formation so he really had an option to go on an outside route or across the middle. That's a tough spot for any DB playing off the WR. Moreso being so close to the endzone. Sutton hesitated momentarily when Davis broke inside and that was all it took. I can't really fault Sutton too much tbh. Other than attempting to play press on Davis and disrupting the timing, those plays will happen I guess. I don't know if Sutton has the option to play press there or not given the play call.

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Sutton did a good job filling in for Hilton.

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Sutton looked like he was in man because he followed Davis all the way across the formation before setting up outside. I'm guessing that he was giving up the inside route since it was close to the goal line and Minkah was sitting on the middle about 2 yards deep in the endzone. Minkah should have been in good position to help contest anything in the middle third of the field. He was deep enough to contest anything from being thrown behind him and shallow enough to break on anything in front of him. He did neither.

Tannehill didn’t seem to look off Minkah, as his eyes were middle third most of the way. He actually looked to his right, at the RB (not Henry this play) out in the flat, being pursued by Hightower. But all the motion and focus was on the middle and right thirds of the field. Minkah bailed on Davis running to the right and actually went left, behind the trailing Sutton, hanging him out to dry. Haden was also available for support and bit on the TE who was covered well by Edmunds and got caught in no man's land with his thumb up his butt. If Minkah had read the play, he would have read Tannehill’s eyes, moved with the flow, and supported Sutton who had been beaten by the inside slot receiver. If Joe had read the play, he would have dropped off the covered TE and the covered RB in the flat, read Tannehill’s eyes, and broke on the only uncovered receiver. Sutton got beat, but he was in trail technique (as he probably should have been) funneling the slot receiver right into the teeth of the secondary. Minkah and Joe might as well have been having a frappucino on the sideline.

On Davis’ long td, Nelson was in bail technique and was giving up about 6 yards on a 2nd and 8. He was in great starting position to read the qb and keep Davis in between he and the first down marker. Play action drew up the LB’s and opened the underneath. That’s okay because Vince read pass and dropped back where he should be in position to contest anything underneath in his area. He JUST missed tipping the pass and Davis caught the ball right at the sticks. But when he caught it, Minkah was playing the ball and not the receiver (something I said would come back to bite us after his pick 6 against the Browns) and was out of position to get to Davis. And where was Nelson? He was about 6 yards away from Davis, covering no one. Maybe he was making sure Davis didn’t do a 180 while in full stride and head for the sideline?

Check out the picture. Sutton was nowhere near Davis when the ball was released. It's 2nd and 8. That's just giving them the 1st down. And both Nelson and Minkah are breaking on Davis right now. Nelson is too far away to do anything and Minkah is breaking on the ball, not the movement of the receiver. If he were closer, or the throw was off target a bit, he might have a chance at a pick. But instead, he whiffed on both the ball and Davis. And the rest is history. These two TD's by a good qb/wr duo are what can undo our season. We've got to get better play from our secondary and better coaching to make that happen. It happens every game. It has to be corrected.

DavisTD.png