1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    No one mentioned Ray Ray's punt return, that was huge, and shows we have 2 guys who can take it to the house on returns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The good: The first half, Spilaines hit on Henry
    The bad: The second half, Minkah and Ben's picks
    The ugly: Ben's pick at the end of the 1st half. He needs to understand the situation there and aim to get the 3 points, unless there's a true wide open man

3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't think Ben panics at all. Too much experience and trust in the personnel he has with him on offense. I think Ben just gets greedy and/or tries to make up for a pick or bad throw by trying to pull off a low percentage throw. I understand the trust he has in this receiving core. He should. But, he should just stick to putting FG's up when that is the high percentage outcome instead of forcing the ball. I have faith in Ben. He'll be great next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This was 2018 Ben :facepalm:, but back then this is the kind of game we would lose.

5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That was Playoff Jaguar Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    30 minute ball was highLy impressive. 60 minute ball was scary as all get out... But we're accustomed to that. How about 45 minute ball? We could start there and inch forward and attempt to prolong some lives around here hahahahahahaha

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ill advised on the back hand shuffle that Ebron caught and advanced, ill advised on the backwards pass that a falling Conner corralled... Tomlin said the penalty backing them up at the first half changed their mentality. It should not have in my opinion still had enough time time to advance and clock for another 3 point try. The pick at the endzone was ill advised but a better toss could've been the exhale we needed. He's a gun slinger been doing very well and no reason to think it won't continue although with Ben hiccups... After all this time it's gonna rear its head. 6-0 big game next week.

8. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Titans started dropping a lot of people and playing nickel zone and only bringing in 4 later in the second half. The way to counteract was to go heavy run and go deep play action. For some reason, Ben and Fichtner stayed with Dink and Dunk when Titans defense was designed to stop that. Last year Titans stopped Brady with the same defense and there hasn’t been anyone better at dink and dunk than Brady. If we play Titans again, Fichtner has to change strategy or Steelers will lose.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The GOOD - Mondeaux lining up at fb and taking out two defenders

The BAD - Mondeaux getting offensive holding on a kick return

The UGLY - Mondeaux jumping offsides and giving the Titans a first down when he lines up staring at the ball

Was not really happy seeing Mondeaux and Wormley getting shoved around with the game on the line inside the 5.

HACK

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The good :winning the 1st half
    The bad:. Losing the second half
    The Ugly: Being 6-0 and still not feeling the way I should. We were completely and totally out coached in the second half. It took a missed field goal for us to win after having a big lead. Same as the Eagles.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Another week, another set of my favorite weekly segment on the team!!

Here I go!!

The Good:

Pittsburgh's Receiving Corps:

I could just say both JuJu and Diontae for this segment and be done with it. However, doing so would be unfair to the contributions of Chase Claypool, James Washington and Ray Ray McCloud during this season; Eric Ebron and Vance McDonald the same. It has been some time since I have seen so many different styles of receiving on a Steelers team. For that matter, I have not seen this level of balance within the Receiving Corps since 2010. There is so much balance in not just terms of skillsets but abiltiites as well. What is even better is that each Receiver can augment the other Receiver in some form or fashion without impeding the overall flow of the passing attack; a far cry from the "Killer Bs" era. Keep in mind that neither McCloud or Washington received many, if any, snaps during the game. That element is important as both of those two bring their own element to the passing attack as well; Washington being Mr. Consistent when needed and McCloud knifing through the Defense in the slot. This Receiving Corps has the ability to do great things and will be counted upon down the stretch.

Robert Spillane:

What a debut Mr. Spillane. A very good performance indeed as he was a very consistent performer throughout in the running game. Yes, the lateral agility is still a concern but when his opportunities came, Robert made the most of them and made every one of them count; namely his big stick on Derrick Henry. Another very good element and, one that should not go unnoticed, was his communication in pre snap reads. Yes, Vince played a big part in this but even the most finite aspects of a change within an Offense can go unnoticed. That said, heads up by Spillane to ensure nothing major got past the Steelers Front Seven. While this was a great showcasing, his task will not get any easier with Lamar Jackson next week. I doubt he is asked to do much in that department but I do suspect him to be involved plenty in the running game yet again.

Terrell Edmunds:

No player has both excited me and disappointed me quite like Terrell Edmunds as long as I have been a Steelers fan. On one hand, I thought his rookie season went well given the fact that he was still new to the position of being a safety and had shown considerable improvement. On the other hand, his 2019 season was a tale of two stories for me; sure tackling but little to no playmaking. In fact, during the first two weeks of the 2019 season, Terrell was playing very passive in coverage; the move to acquire Minkah a reflection of the lack of impact plays on the back end. However, 2020 has been very much different for Mr. Edmunds. If anything, Terrell is playing with far more confidence than he was in 2019. He is more aggressive overall with no wasted motion in his assignments. With the addition of his immense physical gifts at hand, Terrell is finally starting to put it all together. Yes, he did miss an opportunity to nab an interception but his aggressiveness to attack the ball in the passing game has been by far the biggest development of the Steelers Defense in 2020. Even if he only nabs one pick or one Forced Fumble this season, that is still a major advantage the team will both have and need down the stretch.

Alex Highsmith:

The 2020 Steelers Draft Class is truly the class that keeps on giving. Despite no Training Camp or Pre Season, this Rookie class has been a major factor in Pittsburgh's 6-0 start. It just does not seem to matter who it is either; Alex Highsmith being the latest addition. Highsmith has had some good outings even before this game but this current performance was his best one of the season. Not only did Alex have his season high in tackles but he was also used some in Pass Coverage. Still a rookie in that area but he did do well in his limited opportunity. His biggest impact though came in terms of setting the edge on running downs; a major shortcoming of his coming out of Charlotte. That was not the case today though and it made an tremendous difference when either TJ or Bud needed rest. After this performance, it will be interesting to see what Highsmith can do heading down the stretch.

Third Down Efficiency:

When facing a top tier rushing attack, the key is to build leads as quickly as possible. These leads allow the team that is leading to force their opposition out of their element of pounding the rock into passing their way back in. However, for this plan to work, that team that wants the lead must sustain drives. That is exactly what the Steelers did as a whole today; especially in the First Half. Of Pittsburghs 27 Points, 24 came in the First Half. Much of that does revolve around how well the Offense is in sync. The major aspect though is that can that Offense get into sync whenever it is needed most to move the sticks. Sustaining drives is critical as that decreases the oppositions ability to drive down the field. The more time is taken off of the game, the less likely the opposition is going to stick to the gamelan. Due to that big First Half cushion provided by the Offense, the Defense held on long enough for the win. Yes, Tennessee did indeed stick to their game plan but by the time they could complete the comeback, it was too late. Yes, Stephen Gostowski did miss that Field Goal but Ryan Tannehill and the Titans Offense had plenty of chances Offensively to cause damage before that was the case; a testament to the early lead Pittsburgh had built up thanks to the third down efficiency. In total, of 18 third downs, Pittsburgh converted 13 of them.

The Bad:

2nd Half Big Ben:

First Half Big Ben was exemplary. Second half Big Ben was atrocious. Most people will remember the other two Interceptions. I will remember the many misfires in the second half. Too many times did Big Ben stall drives; Tennessee benefitting as they stormed back into the game as a result. Efficient Big Ben disappeared today and "Hero Ball Big Ben" returned. As much as I do like the heroism, there is a time and a place for it and Big Ben's timing for it was poor.

Joe Haden:

I do not know if it is old age but Joe Haden was playing more passive and soft in coverage than I remember. Way too often he gave the likes of AJ Brown and Corey Davis enough space all game. For that matter, Joe was not as sticky in man coverage this game as he was against Cleveland. Nothing to panic about but something definitely to monitor.

Chukwuma Okorafor:

Well, it had to happen at some point. Chuks was doing very well up to this game. Sadly though, he was up against another freak of nature in Jadeveon Clowney. While he handled himself well enough against Myles Garrett, it was clear that Clowney was a different beast of freak from the start. Two penalties to kick the game off was not a good look for the future Right Tackle. He did settle down though after that and did not give up a sack. He also held up well in the running game against him as well. Even so, two penalties really hurt Chuks today. He will need a cleaner game as the likes of Yannick Ngakoue, while not nearly the athlete, is capable of causing issues.

End of First Half Decision:

Let this be a lesson to Tomlin, Fichtner and Big Ben; take the field goal! Whether or not Big Ben can make those big time throws should be no means by the deciding factor. Ensuring that your opponent does not have any form of momentum is. Taking a Field Goal with 11 seconds remaining in the Half is a lot better than turning it over to end it.

The Ugly:

Minkah Fitzpatrick:

It truly pains me to do this. I still believe Minkah Fitzpatrick is a Top 5 Safety in the NFL. However, he did not play like it today. The tackle whiff was by far, the worst whiff I have ever seen by this Steelers Secondary since Artie Burns blew his gap against the Chicago Bears back in 2017. That was just poor effort there. What was even worse was the lack of fundamentals in his Pass Interference penalty. There was truly no reason to do that to begin with as he was in great position to prevent the pass to Jonnu Smith. Why Minkah did that I will never know. Either way, by far Minkah's worst game as a Steeler.... ever. Thankfully though, I do believe this was a one off occurrence as "Ravens Week" will likely get him back into focus.

That is it for me guys. That is pretty much all of my observations for the week! Agree?! Disagree?! Let me know as it always helps me out!! Until next time everyone, thank you for reading and I will see you next time!!!

Go Steelers!! :steelflag:

• Like Like x 4
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Good - Ben in the 1st half

Bad - turnovers

Ugly - Ben throwing to a WR with 4 defenders around him on 3rd down when they are in FG range late in the game. He was trying to force a lot of throws into questionable areas today and that was the worst.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I can't believe anyone thinks that Ben doesn't know exactly what he's doing when he throws those big risk/big reward passes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    When he (Mondeaux) jumped offside one reply view along the line of scrimmage shows the left guard or tackle flinch just a tiny amount.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    An ugly Minkah is better than a great Sean Davis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean, I did say his performance was a one off occurrence. I seriously doubt Minkah is going to give us another one like that. The tackling wore though are getting problematic.

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think it's easier for people to accept the panic excuse than it is that the bravado that makes Ben great can also be his downfall at times. I get the impression that he'd admit as much, especially when he left two FG attempts on the table. His expression when Gostkowski missed lead me to believe that Ben fully expected and felt responsible that the game would have to be won in OT. Having said that, I think Ben will take what's given to him the next time. I think he realizes this season more than other the opportunity he and his teammates have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Good... Spillane / Highsmith

Bad... Minkah

Ugly...Dud...Thought this Dude was turning the corner after last year, And the beginning of this year... NO STAT LINE TODAY, NOTHING! I thought Dud would eat today with Taylor Lewin being out, and nothing!

Freaky talent but, Still way to many games like this to warrant a big contract IMO!

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    In the first half they had Bud line up in the middle to help stop the run, so what if he had a bad game, it happens to everyone.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hopefully that was Ben's only clunker of the season, it's not often you win a game losing the turnover battle 3-0.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm just catching up on the game now. Just on the subject of Ben's performance:

The Good: While the INTs were killer, Ben doesn't look as bad in the 2nd as some are making out. His accuracy seems way better than the last few years.

The Bad: HOWEVER, I also notice that, just like he's done before, he tends to zone in on Juju towards the end of the game - and as others have said, there are sometimes better options, including that last INT which could have been crucial.

The Ugly: They switched to a short passing game in the 2nd because Tenn know we're going to try and run. That's not an awful move, but Tenn sniffed it out quickly and, of course, there were the pass deflections.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are definitely some issues with that short passing game. They nearly had some intercepted against the Browns, too. It is the two interceptions in the end zone that bother me. Both were bad decisions by Roethlisberger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think Dupree had a bad game at all. This is why you can't just evaluate guys from the stat sheet. You have to watch the game, too. Dupree did get some pressure, especially on the first series of the game, and he was playing in the middle a lot yesterday. The Steelers clearly felt they could seal the edge while allowing him to attack from the middle to stop the run more and it worked.

• Like Like x 2
  24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good: Those 72 Dolphins can't toast just yet.

Bad: I'm so old female refs are turning me on.

Ugly: Was sure Ray Ray neck was broken.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Stat padding Ben. :facepalm: