1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dink and dunk offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bobby, Oct 25, 2020.

1. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Can't complain about steelers being 6-0. I would like to see the steelers throw the ball further than 5 yards down field. Is it the oline not being able to block or just how its going to be. I personally hate it and would like to see them stretch the field to help conner be able to run more. It amazes me he is able to do what he does.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they could get Claypool deep, he was probably drawing double coverage, I don't understand why Washington wasn't involved though.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    To me it wasn't the Oline. I feel like Ten did an excellent job in coverage, particularly in the 2nd half. Ben forced a few he shouldn't have.

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The dink and dunk is good for rythm development and is successful with athletic wr's... Usually draws the D up for some over the top stuff and I believe it would've been there in the 2nd half but the O couldn't generate Jack.

5. Steeler dane

Steeler dane Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    I agree 100% its ridiculous with the recievers they have to continuously throw 5 yrd outs, they need to mix it up some.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Gameplan with DJ back. Titans have a great pass rush. It worked great until halftime when Titans made adjustments and we kept doing the same ****.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    steelers are not a dink and dunk team, they have speed to stretch the field, very confusing.

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't mind 5yrd passes. Do that twice and its a first down. I don't like 2yrd passes.

HACK

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When Ben throws 38 or fewer passes Steelers winning pct goes way up.
    He is throwing to wrong team again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    DJ turned a few of the short passes into first downs. hopefully he is available next week

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Titans had something to do with the Steelers inability to push the ball down field. It seems the Titans came out with the plan to keep everything in front of them in the first half. Slow down the game. Make the Steelers drive down the field with long drives.

I think the Titans took more chances in the 2nd half playing tighter coverage. The Steelers offense seemed to have a more difficult time executing in the 2nd half.

I don't believe the Titans want to get into offensive shoot outs. Simply because it limits one of their most effective weapons, Henry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Steelers WRs are like the night sky, a lot stars in it some just shine brighter some games that’s all. A good problem to have.

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Titans have a terrible pass rush

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No pass rush with Clowney is terrible

15. Steeler dane

Steeler dane Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Those int really wasn't his fault, the first one was a hail mary, the 2nd was batted at the line of scrimmage and the third one was a great play by the db.

16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    what did he do today? Nothing just like he has all year. They’ve got 7 sacks on the year. Their pass rush is nonexistent

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well why they came out dinking and dumping is beyond me then. Should have saved this for Ravens.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

It’s really not that hard. Their defensive backs played tight coverage. They obviously felt taking away the deep threat was a major key.

19. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If they had dinked and dunked on the last Steeler position on 3rd and 2 I'm not sure if you're making this post. Trying to force it deep almost cost them the game...on two separate downs. The end of the first half they could have gotten 20 yrds in 14 sec I think and tried a field goal. Instead you go deep on a hail mary and come away with no points.

The last possession second half Diontae Johnson is running wide open across the middle on a 3rd and 2... instead Ben forces the ball deep into triple coverage and it's intercepted again.

My point...don't undermine the dink and dunk. Take what the defense gives to you and you should be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ben got greedy on that pick at the end of the first half. No reason to throw that. Cost them a try for three. The play before the last pick upset me more than the pick itself. I don't think they even showed a replay of who committed the foul. Anyway, without the flag, the Steelers are at worst looking at third and short at about the 10. I felt at the time, as others did on the GDT that the spot was bad and could have been challenged. As it all turned out in a good way, none of it matters. No matter what, I thought the better team deserved to and did win the game.

21. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I totally agree. It looked to me like Titans kept 2 safeties deep and dared us to go deep. It frustrates me we aren't patient enough to consustetlytake what they're giving in front of that.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes and no. The first one I will give you, the second was a bad choice, they were in FG range and had time for 2 plays, throw a quick out sideline pass and see what happens, but that throw was a force that you throw at the end of the half with 3 seconds left from the 40 or beyond. The last was a horrid throw. He threw into triple coverage (almost got picked 2 more times doing that to Johnson). We won by luck, luck from the missed FG, and luck Bad Ben was not worse.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would say underperforming one. Without Clowney, Tennessee has no pass rush to speak of.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

The first one was thrown into double coverage. Take the underneath pass and kick the field goal. One hundred percent on Ben. Ben is 6’5” inexcusable for him to have more balls batted than Doug flutie. Third one was one hundred percent his fault as well. He forced the ball into triple coverage. Juju was blanketed on the play. That was a rookie move by ben

• Like Like x 1
  25. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Third INT was Ben’s fault because he didn’t need to force the pass. Ebron was open and probably gets the first down. Or throw the ball away, take the FG and be up by & fording Tenn to score a TD to win and not a FG to tie. The problem on number 3 was a bad decision.
    Ben seemingly gets frustrated with throwing short passes all game and will eventually force some throws downfield.