1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Rankings: #2

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin doesn't know anything about offense, Cowher didn't either. Ben is helping his defense this year.

2. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Claypool is a tempting target.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Steelers will be a top 3 team if they beat Tennessee. I’d say the only teams you could argue over us at that point would be KC Balt and Seattle. A loss to the Titans and we are in the top 10 mix.

4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Power Rankings don't mean much because they change so quickly and are based solely on week-to-week information rather than the entire scope of a season; but, having bragging rights can be fun :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or maybe they haven't had a team this balanced in a long time :shrug:.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This is the 6th matchup between teams 5-0 or better. Each winner went to the super bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not buying it roon. He is a professional head coach. Even Helen Keller can see that bombs away on offense as your strategy is good for QB and WR stats but not good for the one stat that matters - wins and losses. Its the head coach's job to create the right strategy and hold the guys he hired accountable to it. If he was merely letting the OC do whatever he wanted then that is even more of a failure for not creating a winning strategy in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Didn't Tomlin play WR for William & Mary?

• Like Like x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I hope to hell we don't see that. Ben doesn't have anything to prove. Just help the team win games. And that is going to be with 120+ yards rushing and 240 ish yards passing per game. Win TOP and let the defense get some rest while the O is consuming clock while putting points up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not buying that as an excuse for Tomlin not having a real balanced strategy. Then coming up with a game plan to match the strategy and the opponent. We are finally seeing that for the first time in Tomlins tenure here. The steelers have had the talent and ability to run the ball more but they didn't commit to it. We didn't just all of sudden have drastic personnel changes that allows them to run the ball. It is coaching and situational football that has failed this team in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think this is exactly what he does. It was telling when we weren't ready with a play after the J. James catch. Haley was a Rooney hire also, not Tomlin. Fitchner he knows but not sure who called him up to be OC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Keep Ben under 30 attempts is winning but doesn't always work out.

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    AB played WR for the Steelers? Imagine him running an offense...:huh:

Maybe he did a little...:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They didn't give the run game enough of a chance to find out about balance in recent seasons.

15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    He plays coach for the Steelers as well. Sorry, couldn't resist!! ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So what you’re saying is that this is the AFC Championship Game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    AB did run the offense. Ben would usually force throws to him. Big reason we didn't do squat with the killer Bees.

Glad that crap is over with. Good riddance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought it was Peter, Paul and Mary. :shrug:

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Small prestigious college in Virginia. You wouldn't be familiar with it in Arizona. For the most part only Virginians know about W&M. Obscure as hell.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    True. At this point in Ben's career, if he is bombing it 50 times, steelers are in trouble. Even when they were racking up the yards in past years, they weren't scoring TDs in the red zone. Committing to the run game is key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I wish I knew what source had the most accurate power rankings over time so it would be worth a look. I saw one outrageous one couple weeks ago after the games, they had the Chiefs way down, like 6th after losing to the Raiders and they had the Patriots 5th (too high). Every real football fan knows teams can have an off week, especially against a division rival. Any poll without Chiefs on top is nuts IMO. Sorry to say this, but because of our schedule you have to put the Ratbirds ahead of us. The NFC looks weak, but you have to put one team there ahead of us too guessing Seahawks. So that adds up to at least 3 teams that have to be placed ahead of us in any legit poll IMO.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    FINALLY!!! BBBB wins the prize for the first person to actually discuss this and not whine about the legitimacy of power rankings.

I agree with you about not being considered the 2nd best team. I don't think that assertion can be made yet. I started this thread because I was shocked that anyone would rank us that high. We're definitely top 10. We're probably top 5. But I don't know how you don't put the Ravens ahead of us at this point. After the next two games, we should be able to really see who we are and what we're capable of down the stretch, not because of our record, but because of our performance against 2 really good teams.

24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The Ravens played awful against a good team compared to what they do to not so good teams. The Steelers have yet to play awful or lose a game. Steelers belong in front of the Ravens at this point in time if we want to rank them.

At least until we play a good team. I don't think we'll look as bad as the Ravens against a good team but will look worse against a bad team.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For the knuckleheads that think Ben is really the OC and calls the plays make note Ben had no idea what to do here and afterwards said ”I don’t call the plays”. :facepalm:

Heck, even Bubby would have been smart enough to call a play. And he thought “3 Rivers Stadium” was on a lake.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1