1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early 2021 draft talk

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Oct 16, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Will this be the year we invest heavy on the O and D lines. Ours are aging quickly and contracts will be coming due.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They've got Dotson & I can see them grabbing another olineman. Anybody have a link that follows what schools they visit?

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would imagine so mac. As you said, not much there currently. I would assume going Offensive Tackle in Round One but with a very promising Interior Defensive Line Class, one never knows.

Either way I will be satisfied if it is someone that is proven. I really want Marvin Wilson from FSU but he appears too much to be a top 20 pick currently. Granted, anything can happen but I doubt something will. Jalen Twyman from the University of Pittsburgh is another Interior Defensive Lineman I would look into. Think of him as a Turbocharged Javon Hargrave. Wild Card is Tyler Shelvin from LSU.

As for Offensive Tackle?! Jalen Mayfield, Samuel Cosmi and Jackson Carman are my top picks. If he can recover though, do not sleep on Walker Little from Stanford.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Steelers Depot, The Steelers Wire and BehindTheSteelCurtain usually have links during the Draft Season. Pittsburgh predominantly focuses on the North East, Mid West, Great Plains and Deep South areas of collegiate talent. Sometimes the Pacific West but there has to be someone incredible for them to take interest to.

Tomlin has already made it indirectly clear he is not a fan of traveling out in that direction. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It may be time to start looking at center as well.

If banner is back chuks may move to the left. Dotson, DD, pouncey. I hope they sign feiler. :cool:

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Creed Humphrey falls that far, I would take him no questions asked. He would be the true heir apparent for Maurice Pouncey once he hangs them up for good. He has had a HOF Career.

Such a talent cannot be so easily replicated.

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    chuks is 23
    decastro is 30
    pouncey is 31
    feiler is 28 but likely gone, but no matter, because
    Dotson is 24
    Villanueva is 32 and likely gone but
    Banner is 26
    Hassenauer 26
    gray is 25

Seems to me that we're already set up for the future..... Unless some blue chipper miraculously falls to us near the bottom of the first rd. like Decastro did, we'll be grabbing developmental talent in the late rds for depth

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Banner is a free agent, but they can probably get him to re-sign on the cheap.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    we are going to need a left tackle and center very soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

A lot of really good Offensive Tackle talent coming in. Samuel Cosmi from the University of Texas is someone to look out for. That said, Pittsburgh has never selected an Offensive Tackle in Round One even dating back to the AFL-NFL Merger.

Doing that would break a lot of firsts.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Had to look that one up...…. I found a few

1955: Frank Varrichione out of Notre Dame (6th overall/ 1st lineman picked overall)
    1968: Mike Taylor of USC (10th overall)
    1989: Tom Ricketts of good ol Pitt (24th overall)
    1992: Leon Searcy of Miami (11th overall)
    1996: Jamain Stephens of NC A&T (29th overall)(I know most would like to forget that one: My apologies)

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

:hi:

Why thank you good sir! Very much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just like I had in the other thread, OT and ILB are my top two positions of want. Even moreso with the Bush injury now.

3 ILBs went at position #23 and later in the 2020 1st round. Murray 23, Brooks and Queen at 27, 28 IIRC. If we are picking late, BPA and a ILB prospect may just line up. I'd still rather take an OT with the 1st but usually they go quick hence the reason we rarely get an OT in the first round imo.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I want the BPA, just like when they selected Claypool.

15. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Stud Oline in 1st...RB in 2nd, 3rd OLB, 4th Dline...

It all really depends on who leaves and stays...

16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I think we're in a good position to take BPA, although as Boot said it depends on who leaves and who stays.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Updated Draft Needs after being 7-0!! Keep in mind this is accounting for BPA in Round One only!! As such, I will be doing five possibilities here!! They are as follows;

1.) Offensive Tackle.

I can easily see the team signing Zach Banner long term. I cannot see them being content with just Chuks and Zach as the only ones as Big Al is as good as gone. Add the fact that this Offensive Tackle class is deep and talented and there will likely be a good Offensive Tackle headed Pittsburgh's way. Someone like Trey Smith from the University of Tennessee would do wonders due to his position flexibility but he would have to check out medically. If that is not the case, Liam Eichenberg from Notre Dame would be a very solid choice there. Nevermind having good insurance, assuming Chuks prices himself out of town in 2022, there will be a rough 'n' ready option available.

2.) Interior Offensive Lineman

Take everything that I said about Big Al but replace him with the likes of Matt Feiler not coming back and Maurkice Pouncey nearing the end. As I said before, I believe he has two solid years of play remaining. A good plan to replace him would be Josh Myers from Ohio State. Dream pick is still Creed Humphrey but I doubt that he will be available barring a trade up.

3.) Cornerback

One of three possibilities here.

-The team keeps Mike Hilton at the expense of Joe Haden and extends Cameron Sutton.

-The team keeps Haden, extends Sutton and let's Hilton walk.

*** NIGHTMARE SCENARIO ***

- The team lets both Haden and Hilton walk but extends Sutton.

Regardless of how these three play out, the team will need a Corner sooner than later. That said, Pittsburgh's track record of said players in Round One has been poor sans Rod Woodson. Chad Scott was not as bad as some say but was a disappointment and Artie Burns.... just... :puking2:. That said, plenty of Cornerback talent in this draft to find someone. Namely someone like JayCee Horn or Asante Samuel Jr. Both are sons of NFL Pro Bowlers Joe Horn and Asante Samuel. Given how Pittsburgh has a penchant for going with players who are sons of NFL Players, these two are prime targets. However, how this works will depend on the scenarios listed above.

4.) 3-4 Outside Linebacker:

I could not be any more happy for Bud Dupree. I will feel crushed but will wish him well wherever he goes as he has earned his pay day. That said, supplanting him will be up to Alex Highsmith. Given how his Rookie Season has been turning out, I do not think there will be a steep hole to climb as Highsmith has acclimated himself well. That said, it never hurts to have a healthy stable of versatile Linebackers to supplant your starters. Azeez Ojulari from the University of Georgia, Joseph Ossai from the University of Texas or Joe Tryon from the University of Washington would be good fits. Wild Card is Jayson Owen from Penn State.

5. Safety

Terrell Edmunds is safe.... for now. However, his days are numbered and it would not surprise me if a Safety gets selected in the upcoming draft; early even. That said and, thankfully for him, this safety class is not very good. The only worthy Safety to take in Round One is Paris Ford from the University of Pittsburgh. That said, he is a complete Safety and will likely command a lot of attention. Beyond him though, no other options as a Round One target.

I was initially going to add something like Tight End but knowing the FO and the fact that the team has not drafted one since 2005, I am not getting my hopes up here. :lolol:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Center, , OLB, Dt

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they would take a RB in the 2nd, they will have a lot of holes to fill, they can find a RB in the later rounds.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    BYU QB Zach Wilson is starting to get some buzz.

21. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    If we do not sign JC, then will be looking for a RB. That being said, your prolly right...However, they better look in the 3rd... lol

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep. Definitely making his case as the number 3 QB in the class. For me, I would not mind having him.

That said, if Trey Lance is still somehow available, I definitely would nab him. Way too talented and gifted a QB. Definitely worth looking into.

23. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    We are picking #32

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Need an Offensive Lineman. Either Tackle or Interior. If neither are worthy of being selected in Round One, BPA then. Tight End, Corner, Interior Defensive Lineman and Pass Rusher would be my BPA options.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd sign feiler and move him back to RT. I'd put Dotson at LG. Chuks to LT or Hawkins who was playing pretty well before they traded him back then. I'd sign him back as well. We have plenty of tackles right now but need to add interior players. DD at RG. Then find a center. Ohio State has a pretty good one. . Gray, banner, jc, Hawkins or chuks as backups. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020