1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Devin Bush...Updates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Unfortunately this is going to be the tale of the 2020 NFL season. Due to the shortened camp, there are just going to be more injuries than normal. Sucks it happened to Bush (and Banner), but we aren't the only ones it will happen to.

2. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Losing Bush is a big blow but it can be overcome. If this defense can step up and play their hearts out to overcome losing their franchise quarterback last year they can overcome this. This team is going to be special

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I agree. The way he went down was a cross between a leg cramp and an ankle injury. I knew it was bad, but the camera panned away from him which left me thinking he got up...until the camera came back on him...ugh!

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i knew it.
    when he grabbed the knee the way he did.

5. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea this sucks to lose a player of this caliber on defense like Bush who was only gonna get better. He will be a hard guy to replace. Spillane looked respectable today so for now. I’m
    Willing to give him a shot and see more of him. Gilbert will obviously get some time as well and I don’t know if Alex Highsmith can play much inside linebacker but so far what I have seen from him I like a lot and I’d be willing to get him out on the field and give him a few more snaps and see what he can do. Regardless it’s a big loss and one this Steelers team is gonna have to find a way to deal with and overcome the remainder of the season.

6. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Spilane came in and seemed to do well enough. Can anyone tell me about Spilane and whom would be his backup ?

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Gilbert was out today, Marcus Allen is listed as the other ilb. The only other person they have on PS listed as LB is Jayrone Elliot (IDK if he is ILB, OLB or both. Definitely a lot of inexperience and not much depth.

8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I would think they would have someone else making the calls on defense. Spillane did a pretty good job considering the circumstance. Physically, I think he looks capable of filling that role. But the Browns didn't gameplan for him. Our next opponent will be running at him, around him, and throwing everything they can at him. Only thing we've got going for us next week is that there is no film on him in the defense. No tendancies or positioning. There's no way to know if he's going to be used like Bush was or schemed completely differently. But that won't last long and the Titans will be able to adjust to any inconsistencies. And then there's Henry to deal with. The ILB is going to have to be stout and support well or Henry will kill our average rush yards allowed.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep, we have two big test back to back and we need the best out there. Titans oline is much better then the browns

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Bush has been key in pass coverage in the middle of the field and can cover sideline to sideline in run support ...none of our other LB's can do this. I'd say the 1 player we could least afford to lose on defense was Bush. So yea it sucks.

He also was calling the plays on defense. Backing up Bush we have a 2nd year undrafted LB , and a 5th and 6th round pick. We went into the season with little to no depth behind Bush.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Not just that though. Our next opponents are not going to be any easier. Both Tennessee and Baltimore have stout rushing attacks.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Totally agree. They have been solid in the middle and Bush has been a huge part of that, I cannot understand others saying he has underperformed. This is devastating for the defence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Seems similar to Tuitt going down last season. Never a good time to happen but it was about the same time of the season with a big loss to the defensive side of the ball. Next man up and they will have to explore all options as well.

14. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Fans being a critic of Bush don't understand defense. It's a team sport and the role he's being asked to play is the opposite of what they ask Watt or Dupree. Vince for example is a run stopper and he doesn't make a ton of mistakes...but if he's our new BUSH we are in trouble covering the middle of the field. Unfortunately I think that's our only choice right now. SO I expect a big change in how we defend the middle of the field. Its going to create big play opportunities for opponents but we probably need a safety to start playing up. Anyone notice the lack of big plays we've given up? Part of that goes to Bush. His play allows the safeties to focus on their job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Damn I hope our defense plays extra tough. Always something to derail hope lol. I guess most teams go though this

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dak says hold my beer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Red rifle has a good team... revenge tour for Dallas.

5-11 division winners

• Like Like x 1
  18. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    If there's a Minkah type deal out there we damn well better make it happen. I think there's plenty of teams that just stink and could be interested in a high pick for a starting ILB. Our window is open now and we most certainly could benefit from more LB depth . How long do we have Vince and Bush under contract?

Looking at our first two picks in 2020... Minkah and Claypool.... not bad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    All in scenario - trade Jags for Myles Jack

Reclamation scenario - trade Cardinals for Haasan Riddick

The most likely scenario - they go with what they have, bring in a new body to put on the PS

HACK

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In my younger years, I had speed and athleticism that was far superior to pretty much all my peers but there were lots of people who were better at football than me (although that's mostly because I didn't play it much) You're right, it can't be taught, but you still need to know how to utilize it. Otherwise Usain Bolt would be the best WR in the NFL.

I don't dislike Bush. He has great potential, but I don't feel like he took a step forward this year. For all his speed and athleticism, he wasn't involved in the play as much as he should have been

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The thing is, his skill set allows Butler to call the defense a certain way that he can’t do with anyone else.

That was the problem when they lost Shaizer and they were exposed badly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Too early to make any move like that. First we have to see what we have in Spillane. Some guys are stars in practice and not in games. Some guys are the complete opposite. Not even Tomlin knows what he has in Spillane until he plays a full game. We're 5-0, there's no reason to rush to make a move that might be unnecessary. The guy isn't Bush, that's for sure, but he seems like a thumper, and that's never a bad thing to have in that position. We'll see what his football IQ is like next week

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We cannot get Myles Jack for he is due $14.2 Million on average. He is due $12 Million for this season alone. Never mind any of that though. Tomlin is not going to trade for a player he has little to no interaction with. Neither Colbert or Tomlin caught up with Myles Jack at his Pro Day back in 2016.

I would like Hasson Reddick but I am not so sure if he is a good ILB. Jarrad Davis seems to be a better fit. Not as athletic but plenty explosive enough.

24. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Surgery these days is often 100% return to play at same level. Rehab is long, but the surgery works, almost good as new.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh Blast....

That 2017 AFC Divisional Game will forever live in Steelers infamy for all the wrong reasons. Remember though Blast!!

BLAKE BORTLES LIT UP THE STEELERS FOR 212 YARDS!!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1