1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers/Browns match-ups

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm curious how others see the match-ups for tomorrow. There are two ways of looking at match-ups, you can look at how our Y matches up to their Y, and you can look at who has the advantage at the important components of the game.

I think looking at our X versus their Y is tough because it's early in the year and the disparity of teams we've both played.

Here's how I see the key components:
    1. QB.....huge advantage Steelers
    2. WR....Steelers
    3. Running game....Browns
    4. O-line....Steelers
    5. Front seven....Steelers
    6. Secondary...Steelers
    7. Special teams......Steelers
    8. Coaching.....Steelers
    9. Intangibles....huge advantage Steelers

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :rolleyes:

10. Tomlin egg lay... Browns

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the most under the radar match up is the Browns TE's versus the Steelers interior LB's and Safeties. If the Browns can have moderate success in the run game, Mayfield might be able to work off play action to his TE's. Williams and Bush have been struggling in coverage and if Minkah has to be the lone high safety it will be a mismatch.

Similarly Ebron and Mac might be the key to destroying the Browns. Yes Garrett is a freak but he suffers the same flaw all elite edge rushers do, he is overzealous in the pass rush. Let him burst outside and AV seal his inside motion one the TE's into the gap Garrett leaves and seal off the inside and run Conner behind it on either a draw or quick pass. Similar to what the Ravens were doing with multiple TE sets last year, if the Browns disregard the TE blocking then Ben hits him for a 6 or 7 yard gain and move the chains. It will stress the Browns cohesive unit

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    All the eggs he has laid against Cleveland the players have covered for him. I think the egg game might be the Cowboys. McCarthy & Dalton have both beat him with Ben.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm not sure Baker the May Fly will even start this game???????? Has not practiced much this week and for a QB a rib injury makes throwing that much harder. Add to that a good pass rush by the Steelers and we should trounce them.

Now a reality check, if Mayfly can't go we will have to deal with Case Keenum and knowing our beloved Steelers he'll throw up 350 yards and 3 TD's and have us sweating balls with 2 minutes to go. It's the Steeler way.;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he has lost 3 games to the Browns :shrug:

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

@Stone

I would not sell Kevin Stephanski nor these Cleveland Browns short here if I were you. He is doing exactly what Freddie Kitchens should have been doing back in 2019. Cleveland's Offense is designed to pound the Football and use Play Action off of it. The fact that Stephanski is using this to full effect is part of the reason the Browns are 4-1. The biggest reason to Clevelands success though has no doubt been their Offensive Line; a Top Five Unit in my opinion. From Jedrick Willis Jr to Jack Conklin, that group is stout up front with few weaknesses. Chris Hubbard might not have the strength that Wyatt Teller has but he still does have technique and natural leverage at his disposal.

The other aspect of course is Myles Garrett. However, simply focusing on Garrett will spell trouble if the rest of the Browns Front Four are ignored. Larry Ogunjobi and Sheldon Richardson are an underrated duo of Defensive Tackles Richardson still has the ability to get after the QB and Larry is a very underrated Run Stuffing Defensive Tackle. Oliver Vernon may not be as dominant as he was a while back but is still a sound technician. The back end is where they do have their limits though. Denzel Ward is a Top 10 Corner in the NFL. What he lacks in height, he makes up for in being very competitive. However, having Ronnie Harrison and Karl Joseph out will be huge.

At the end of the day, this AFC North showdown will come down to two people in my opinion; Alejandro Villanueva vs Myles Garrett. Whomever wins the most battles between the two will decide the game.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Losing to a divisional opponent that is 4-1 is not laying an egg lol

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    All good points. Here is where I see the Browns weaknesses though. They were one of the worst O lines in the league last year and I simply don't believe that changes to the other extreme in five games with no pre-season. Garrett is a true elite player but I think we have a better front seven in total. The middle of their secondary coverage has been God-awful. Mayfield is skittish and if we can et to him early, he will be a mess between the ears. While Stephanski seems to be a cut above the typical Browns coach, there is a culture that is so permeated throughout that entire organization, that only years of success will have that team knowing how to win games.

I see three possible downfalls for the Steelers:

1. Untimely turnovers........they happen to everyone once in a while.
    2. Freak plays......they happen to everyone once in a while.
    3. Lack of discipline/bad penalties.......it happens to Tomlins defense quite frequently.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And every one of those losses was to a vastly inferior team.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are no vastly inferior teams in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah right. Gotta disagree. Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, 49ers, Ravens, Giants, Chiefs are superior franchises.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Emphasis on the word “vastly”.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    So if the Jets and the Chiefs played tomorrow in the Super Bowl you think the spot would be two points or 3?

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hate the Browns or not Clown all you want...They have a system in place and it is a zag where most zigged, this alone will make them dangerous each and every week ...

Running the Football and PA is a great recipe to bake a nice pie on Offense...Beast in the box with umbrella coverage can also back a nice a cake..I hope we win big , but this wont be the county fair..As T would say they get paid to play to..I just hope that's after a W ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s the Brownies. Their defense is no good. Their QB is no good in the 4th quarter.

If we cannot beat these guys we might as well forfeit the season.

We will win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You are correct. They were one of the worst. Keyword though is were. The Browns are not that anymore.

Either way, we will have to agree to disagree here.

18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm looking at how our P matches up to their V. Screw'm

Advantage: Steelers

I'm not answering your stupid post correctly, dillhole. I posted that I would leave Mrs. Glory Days for you and you didn't respond. So I'm mad at you. Maybe I'll start agreeing with @steelersrule6 and see how you like that! I slave over a hot keyboard all day for you. I try so hard to make my posts pretty for you. I even use those little emojies that you like so well. And this is what I get? You even missed our posters-therapy session with @pastorbob. He was even ready with a properly capitalized post that didn't look like it came from a serial killer. Well Mr. Man, one day, you'll check your alerts and see that I'm not there. You just think about that.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  19. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Two biggest match ups in the game:

1. Steelers O-line vs the Browns D-line if we win this match up and Ben has time, very good sign For the Steelers.

2. Steelers front 7 vs the Browns rushing attack. If we make them one dimensional, game over. Mayfield will not beat us through the air consistently. Also if I am sacking Mayfield and have a clean hit, LEGALLY right at the ribs.

side note: major kudos to Mayfield to even suit up. Anyone whoever has had a rib injury knows the pain even breathing let alone being extended and having Watt or Dupree hit you with a running start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    There are vastly inferior franchises in the NFL but on any given Sunday any team can beat another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not about the perception of how good or bad both teams are. It's about how well both teams perform on Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope we don't have Vince matched up on obj.:cool:

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol: Nice! Time to hit the wounded one early and often, and Dr. Watt has the prescription...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't see it as any sort of disagreement. I understand the points you are making and I can't say you are wrong. Living in the Cleveland area since 1980, I know that they have been the quintessential dumpster fire for decades and every time I thought they might be on the right track, they have failed. I simply don't think they are as real as their first 5 games have made them appear. The owners are the worst in sports and the players don't know how to win.

Let's hope that we can agree by 4:30 today that, to quote Dennis Green, "they are who I thought they were":drinks:

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ummmmmm.......... did I miss something?:shrug: If so, I choose to throw the infamous Mike Tomlin challenge flag knowing full well I am likely to lose.:frustrated:

For some reason, the link to pastorbob didn't work for me.

And somehow, I just don't see you and @steelersrule6 both dressing up in mini skirts and high heels and arguing for the sake of argument.

P.S. What does Mrs. Glory look like?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020