1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 14, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    As long as you have a franchise QB, you have a chance, teams can't stack the box like they did in 2019. I like how on that last Claypool TD vs the Eagles, he alerted Claypool after seeing what defense the Eagles were in. Also with not having a #1 WR he's spreading the ball around, and his ints are down this season.

• Like Like x 3
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Ben finally took a huge step.. He realized his time is short and he has been working on his body working on his footwork and watching more film .. This is why I think Coaches need to keep pushing basic Football Techniques..We gave up at least 30 yards after contact last week because guys tried to shoulder block guys to the ground..I hate crap like that ..Teach guys to wrap up and teach follow up tacklers to attack the ball.....It will help even in the NFL...

The proof is in the pudding as Ben looked much better with his footwork the week after he practiced it..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I still think Steelers would win more games with Rudolph at QB...... KIDDING!!!!

:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Are players reluctant to wrap up this Covid year? Dallas defense brings the 6 foot rule to the field.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Their defense is simply dreadful. Might be the worst in the league.

As far as Ben, don't know what ya got until it's gone, like last year. He has shown renewed passion this year, likely for several different reasons. Chief among them is that I'm sure he went through some changes about whether or not he could play again. Now that he is playing, he realizes that he is closer to the exit than the entrance. He does look different in that he's not holding on to the ball like in seasons past. I credit both Ben and Matt Canada for that. The less abuse he takes, the better. He also isn't forcing throws, and the accuracy is getting better every game. The only complaint, and it isn't a big one is that his touch on the long ball isn't there yet. If I had to grade his performance thus far, I'd give him a solid A.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You know? It is a damn shame. A thread about Leveon Bell will get 5 pages of replies. But an appreciation thread about Ben Roethlisberger will get 6 posts.

Big Ben could have called it quits after 19'. Rich man, nothing to prove. But he came back, and looks better than any of us anticipated him looking. This guy deserves more credit than we can even give him.

We all saw what life after Ben might look like in 2019. Lets all be thankful that we have a healthy Ben Roethlisberger in 2020.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

He is doing amazingly well this year. Not only his elbow got fixed but his eye sight . He also looks to be in better shape. His biggest challenge will be this week against the Browns.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This is all you have to say about Ben. The Steelers will go as far as Ben takes them, it has always been like that.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben is playing great thus far. His deep passes have been off, but I read somewhere that Fichtner said they work on the deeper stuff on Wednesdays (Ben’s day off) And that Thursday they work on Redzone plays. Says they’re going to start switching it up to give Ben some more deep ball practice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben won SBs with a defense. He has proven he can't do it by himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Could be that he has teammates that aren't acting selfish like he has had in the past and therefore he has no need to force the ball to certain players in order to keep them satisfied. Previous seasons he had to deal with divas and stat padding co stars who needed ESPN's attention to try and further their careers. Funny it didn't work out for those clowns and now Ben can work his craft better even though the Oline has regressed slightly.

Outside of that thought, I think he is working his tail off to try and win at least one more Championship to ride off in the sunset with. Although, if he does win it all this season I do think he returns to try and match Terry's SB success as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Brady has not either contrary to popular belief. Go look back at the last three Super Bowls. Guess how many points the defense gave up in the Second Half?!

10 for the Seahawks, 7 for the Falcons and 3 for the Rams. Brady has delivered comebacks for sure. To say he is the primary reason why New England has won so much though is an immense overstatement. For that matter, one can easily boil it down to three people during the Patriots early Super Bowl years of why Brady reached stardom;

1.) Ty Law

2.) Adam Vinatieri

3.) Bill Belichick

• Like Like x 5
  13. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Ha. The win against Arizona at the end was all Ben. Ben and Santonio. Despite one interception by Harrison, the D was getting shredded by Kurt Warner. Ben's play got us to SB against Seattle.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Something tells me he is gunning for Bradshaw the same. That said, if that is the case, going to need him to stay upright and prevent him from taking so many hits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Without that top tier defense Ben has a goose egg. Remember 2014-2017?

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ben's play did get us to the Super Bowl in 2005. That said, when he played in the Super Bowl, it was the worst game ever played by a Super Bowl winning QB. Some Offensive gadget plays and that 2005 Defense was key to winning the one for the thumb.

His Offensive Line in 2008 was even worse than his 2005 Super Bowl performance. Again though, that Defense stepped up big time. However, unlike the 2005 unit, the 2008 Unit is one of the greatest of all time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Too early to anoint him CPOY just yet. I'll hold my praising until the sample size is more meaningful. That is just me. We've won games we were favored and we're expected to which is great but let's see how we do next week.

18. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I so find it funny that people here still complain about Ben. Geezus, HOF QB with 2 SBs, but then again Pittsburgh fans complained about Terry B too. Last year should have shown everyone his value. With the chit show we had a QB between Rudolph and the Duck, we were awful. Then you look at the 2 ass clowns Brown and Bell. When they were here we had to hear about how Ben criticized Brown on the radio and how Ben wasn't a leader, etc... Brown and Bell are both garbage and were made great by a HOF QB. If you think I'm exaggerating, look at JuJu. 2 years ago he looked like he was on his way to a HOF career. Last year he was mediocre AF. Ben makes all the pieces around him better. A great defense helps every QB, Brady, Manning in Denver, etc... That's common sense so to say Ben only won SBs because of defense shows just how much someone doesn't know about football. Defense wins championships. But lousy QBs and offenses lose championships. This franchise is brilliant and has loaded the offensive line and given Ben a versatile supply of weapons this year. And as the HOF he is, he's thrown 9 TDs to 1 pick for a 110 passer rating. Probably his best start ever. Can't believe people still don't appreciate him and knock him. Geezus we would have been the Chit Stains/Bungles the last 17 years without him. Just look at last year, this amazing defense could only get us to 8-8 with no playoffs with the chit show at the QB position.

All the offense needs now is to stay healthy and maybe pick up a big time RB and the SB is ours.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Your handle says it all. :roflmao:

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    You could also say, "Brady won SBs with a defense. He has proven he can't do it by himself."

For the six SB won by the Patriots, their defense was top 2 (in scoring) for half of them.
    Their defense was #6 in 2001 (likely cheating in the Pittsburgh game), #8 in 2014 (lucky that Seattle passed instead of running at the end), and #7 in 2018 (Rams crapped the bed).
    So always a top 8 defense, usually top 2.

There were 3 playoff years (2007, 2010, 2012) where the Pats had the #1 offense, and a top 10 (but not top 2) defense, but they still failed. Seems like Brady gets it done only when Belichick gives him one of the best defenses in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    C2D51EC2-1F2E-48F2-BB0B-613AAB0A33A2.jpeg

thats a beautiful determined bearded man

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Last season it was a struggle for the offense to score over 10 points a game, now they're averaging in the high twenties.

24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think some posters took this statement the wrong way.

All I'm saying is Ben needs some defensive help if we are to make a run. We didn't always have that & it showed. This year looks promising. & I don't give a flying flick about Brady, his defense or that cheat up in Foxborough.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017

I'm in Ben's corner, always have been. He is my favorite Steeler right behind Lambert. Ben with a top defense can get there & win, he has proven that.