1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is showing Life, certain veterans need to step up their play

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Oct 11, 2020.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Defense - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Devin Bush and Joe Haden - in order for Pittsburgh really to make a run these guys need “splash plays”. Through the first 4 games not seeing it almost going through the motions.

Offense - David DeCastro, DJ and Juju - the first 2 need to stay healthy and on the field. Juju needs to be a football player full time and not a want be celebrity. He needed to learn from Hines Ward and not AB about work ethic and how you come to work everyday focused.

4-0 is fantastic very excited but to truly be top echelon these veterans above need to step up their games. What they need to understand is that the window is closing with Ben and you cannot take for granted future seasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I've seen this mentioned on here more than once. I'm wondering what Juju is doing to make this a topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Being on social media too much I guess

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    absolutely nothing. Haters gonna hate

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    O-LINE getting old , bumps and bruises catching up to them .

DJ always hurt . Hilton been reading his headlines and pff scores.

Ebron got a taste of real Football and failed, think he will bounce back.

Ben was solid and didn`t have to make a throw to keep a WR head in a game {AB}

Mapletron is badass

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    JuJu was targeted 5 times today and he caught 4. He either drew double coverage or the Steelers used him as a decoy. Either way, he did what he had to do when the ball was thrown to him - unselfishly.

Minka is another story. Even last year, he seemed unwilling to tackle. Someone needs to teach that young man to lay some wood.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Pretty sure you completely misunderstood

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I looked around online but I didn't find much. Some type of drinking juice with his name on it was recently released.
    I was thinking he was being cast for more tv commercials or movie rolls or something.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe his knee is bothering him. That's my guess.

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Juju is acting more like Hines than AB. He had a nice post on Instagram giving credit for a team win, instead of whining like AB would have.

[​IMG]

11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Nothing against your post. I completely agree with you. I was just too lazy to find the original post.

12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    First, absolute NO to the first statement about splash plays. We need sound, fundamental football first. When you're not getting beat, flagged, or missing tackles, THEN we can talk about splash plays. More times than not, it's the routine plays (of which there are a lot of) that decide outcomes. Splash plays are great, but we've got to do the little things right first.

Second, DCas and DJ aren't getting hurt on purpose. Nothing they can do to avoid that. And JuJu is a kid. Kids like their socials. Where do you get that he isn't showing up focused? He's a team player. His pass catching role has been diminished and he isn't pouting. He's doing what he should be doing to help this team succeed.

Lastly, none of these veterans are oblivious to the window of opportunity. You seriously think they don't understand this?

Sorry, but this all sounds as off as @steelersrule6 trying to convince us that your win/loss record makes you play better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    JuJu is getting the focus from defenses I think... To make his plays despite that he needs to be on AB's skill level, but unfortunately he isn't. We'll be okay though.

Hey Claypool started a Youtube channel too, hasn't affected him yet.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think he's played fine this season. He's not standing out like he did a couple seasons ago, but there's a lot of targets out there now and most have proven themselves capable (so far).

I keep hearing that Juju has lost his focus on football and instead is working on his brand. I poked around online but I couldn't find anything that would make me think that was true. That's why I was asking.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That and the bizarre logic that taking 20 seconds to post something on social media distracts someone from the whole of their life

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Pass defense, really needs to improve. If we don't get a pass rush
    we are in trouble.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What is it with people critiquing David DeCastro's availability all of a sudden?! He has only missed seven total games in his career. Of those seven, during 2016 and 2017, Pittsburgh rested their starters in the final game in those seasons. Outside of that though, not worried one bit about Ju Ju. Diontae is slowly leaning towards injury prone for me but I will reserve judgment until later when their is a definitive answer.

Regarding Devin Bush, not worried about him. This Defenses range is exponential with Bush Jr. For that matter, the only reason Miles Sanders hit on that big 75 yard run was due to Bud Dupree not finishing the play by stopping Miles in the backfield; holding by the Eagles along the way.

Now, Minkah?! Again, I am not ringing the alarm bell on him just yet overall. His Pass Coverage is still great. The issue has not been him but both Steven Nelson and Joe Haden as both appear to have regressed a bit; Hadens worst game being against Philly. Minkah is covering up for both of those players while attempting to perform his own job. As for Minkah's tackling however, I am starting to have some concern in that area.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Lots of theories on his drop in production. Not a true #1, bad qb, & now focused on his brand.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think the first 2 are probably a big part of what happened to his production last season, and his injured knee (as you mentioned). I thought he could be a #1 receiver w/o AB on the field and I think he still can. #1b at the least.
    If Juju wants the big payday everyone is talking about, he has to produce. Not producing would kill any brand of his anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This type of thing doesn't bother me. It's when these guys start showing up in movies, or sitcoms and reality shows that make me nervous.

[​IMG]

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This. Juju is the #1 WR, so he is the main priority for opposing secondaries..... Claypool has benefited from this, just as JuJu did back in '17 and '18 with AB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers have had a different leading receiver in every game thus far.

Ben is spreading it around and taking what he is given.

• Like Like x 2
  24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Yes, but when AB was the #1, he got open AND pulled double coverage. The OL isn't giving Ben enough time to go through progressions and our receivers aren't able to separate from the defenders. Chase is a beast, no question. But he snuck up on the Eagles. Let's see how dominating he is in the next couple weeks and how defenses play him. If they try to take him away, JuJu, James, DJ (if healthy physically), Vance, and Eric (if healthy mentally) should shine.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hey 7 played good yesterday, maybe he needs to play with pink shoes all year !!!