1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Disappointments and surprises

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 28, 2020.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    disappointments:

Vikings 0-3
    Eagles 0-2-1
    Texans 0-3 (brutal schedule)
    Saints 1-2
    Cowboys 1-2

Surprises:
    Bears 3-0
    Raiders 2-1
    Cardinals 2-1
    Packers 3-0
    Steelers 3-0

I put us in the surprise because we usually start slow.

bears and Vikings are the biggest surprises to me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bears are the only biggest surprise for me honestly. I was under the impression you would be naming other factors. That said, here are some of my quick hits.

Surprises:

- Joe Burrow is keeping Cincy in games. I am one to trust College QBs who have been battle tested for years in comparison to QBs who have only started one season or less. Color my shocked at Burrow. He is going to be a major issue for the AFC North in the years to come.

- Jeremy Chinn is a monster. I wanted him in the worst way heading into the 2020 NFL Draft. The nephew of HOF Steve Atwater, Chinn is a freakish talent and athlete. No doubt he is an All Pro within a year or two.

- Russell Wilson wheelin and dealin. Granted, I knew Russell has always been great. This great though?! This I did not see.

Final one

- Jedrick Willis Jr. playing like an All Pro. Young man has been stout for the Browns. Cannot wait for him to go against Bud in a few weeks!

Disappointments:

- Isaiah Simmons and Derrick Brown both have struggled out of the game. Brown did have a nice bounce back against the LA Chargers but that ia about it. Isaiah is still not getting it. Hopefully that changes soon as I think he is a mold breaking defensive player.

- Injuries. Granted, I knew that soft tissue injuries were going to be a theme this season. However, I did not expect it at such a rate. I doubt it will get any better heading into Week 4 and therefore, the foreseeable 2020 season.

- The 2018 Linebacking Class. None of them are to be found. I do not see any mention of RoQuan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Rashaan Evans, Darius Leonard or Fred Warner at all in terms of performance. Leighton Vander Esch seems to be "Sean Lee 2.0" at this point. Very disappointing but doubly so for Edmunds whom I thought was going to revolutionize the position.

Final one

- The very heart wrenching destruction of Sam Darnold. If I were Pittsburgh, I would dump some cap to get him next season. His cap hit is an issue but hopefully a restructure or two will help a bit. Adam Gase has effectively broke him; the Jets Organization doubly so. Get him out now!!!

Plenty more than this but these are the big ones.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I kind of like Darnold as a reclamation project. NY media and fans are notoriously brutal on their spro athletes, especially a kid drafted third overall widely seen as a savior. A change in scenery would likely rebuild his confidence and resurrect his career.

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is what I would want also. The issue is his cap hit. Pittsburgh and for that matter, Omar Khan, would have to work some cap wizardry for that to happen. Never mind that, neither Tomlin nor Colbert were at USCs Pro Day in 2018. That said, I wonder if Tomlin was aware of Darnold in 2017 whenever he observed JuJu.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    You think darnold can be successful here?

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Outside of the likes of Trey Lance and possibly KJ Costello, there really is not too many options at present. Nothing has been heard of regarding Mason either. What is worse is that, due to COVID 19, any improvements that Mason may have made will be unknown. Add the fact that Big Ben is likely to extend his contract and Mason might not be the guy.

On the other hand, while Mason does not have time on his side, Sam does. He is 23 years of age currently. Not only that, he is capable of winning; his final 8 games in 2019 a good starting point. Add the fact that the Steelers are a far superior Organization than the Jets and Darnold can resurrect his career here.

Again though, the issue is his cap hit. Quite a bit will have to be done for him to get here to make that happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah I don’t see it happening for that reason... the cap. Mason just got the short end of the stick. With injury and covid, we never really could see his “true” potential and it’s likely we never will.

8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think for you and I the Eagles and Cowboys a joy to behold:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The Bears winning with Foles was enjoyable to me as the Eagles struggle with Carson.

• Like Like x 2
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Costello won one big game now you want the Steelers to draft him :shrug:

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nope.

I said possibly. I never was definitive on him being the pick. Have to see more obviously.

As I said, I still want Trey Lance.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well the Steelers aren't giving up their picks to move up, they will have too many positions to fill IMO.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Who says they have to?! Again, we don't know who is the QB5 of 2021 and nevermind QB4. Plenty of time to find out between now and then.

14. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Josh Allen is a big surprise for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s on a tear right now. I thought he was an average game manager but here are his stats for 2020:

1038 yards, 10 tds 1 int 124.8 rating.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not for me.

He showed flashes of this last season in mircrobursts without Stephon Diggs. With him, Josh Allen is beginning to play like the best QB from the 2018 Class thus far. Lamar still has the advantage by virtue of his MVP Award but I can imagine Josh Allen challenging Russell Wilson or even Aaron Rodgers for that should it come down to it.

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    One hell of a TD run against the Broncos tonight. I hadn't realized he was that fast. His o-line is putrid, though.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mehki Becton I would reserve judgment for. He is a super freak of a Left Tackle but is only versed in the basics of blocking. He needs to take his lumps to understand and develop the more finite points of the position. Other than him though, I would agree.