1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin losing at challenges

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 27, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Because of crap calls like this is why he never wins these challenges, it's like these refs don't want to admit they're wrong :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    They gave a bad spot should've been overturned... But in all fairness, he's botched many and lost many. He's done right by many and got screwed many... Pretty simple math it's all 50/50 in the end. I'm not hating but I do scratch my noggin and sometimes clap my hands each time the red flags thrown and all for various reasons internally or outwardly influenced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I can understand getting that spot wrong live, but to miss it again after a review? That’s really piss poor.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes good challenge there, but the refs blew it big time

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    If he wins that challenge he's still like 1 for 25 in challenges. He still sucks at it

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It has to frustrating for Tomlin. Even when he's right, he's wrong.

I can't give Tomlin a pass when it comes to challenges. He has made plenty of boneheaded challenges and lack there of. When Tomlin challenges a play that clearly should be overturned, and the refs fail to change it, I do not hold that against Tomlin. That's on the refs. But when he challenges a call that was clearly correct, or fails to challenge a call that clearly should be challenged, that's all on Mike.

This is a good football team, with a chance to go deep into the playoffs. Something like a missed challenge can cost you seeding in the playoffs, or even a playoff game. Tomlin blew two challenges in the Denver game. We need to clean that up moving forward.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I didn't get to see the game. That picture shows the ball clearly down with enough for the first down but is that where the ball was when Ben was considered down?

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean its not like every time he loses a challenge its because of some BS like this one lol he has a poor track record in challenges because he typically takes on poor challenges... However it was pretty rough yesterday since it was very clearly a first down and a horribly blown call by the refs. The NFL has a ton of money. Why they cant just shell money out for the best of the best in refereeing is beyond me. Make it a full time career. That way if they get paid a bunch, they can be fined (or even fired) for crap like this.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    So enlighten one who is to lazy to look up the rules (which seem to change weekly anyway)' Is the ball placement where the hands end up, or where the knee hits? I have seen it both ways in the past, leaving to much in the hands of the officials.

10. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    That challenge wasn't his fault. The refs are complete worthless dick (bleeps). That was a first down, I still have no damn clue what kind of blind idiots would make a clear call like that not get reversed.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think it's where the ball is when he makes contact with the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Makes sense, as I recall that's what stopped James TD a few years ago.

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Always blows my mind that in the age of super fast technology they can't see the replay fast enough to know for sure and not throw that damn flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This thread is bringing me back to a certain game where a tight end (I think) may or may not have scored a TD which would have beat the Patriots.

15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Jesse James. Exact same call in the Super Bowl, they call it a touchdown. Then they change the rule in the offseason, cause there was just no consistant way to to enforce it as written.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Jesse's TD was overturned because he dropped the ball after crossing the plane.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Your kidding right?! Guess you haven't been watching the wonderous NFL officials close enough...

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Does anyone have the video?

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think the issue is that Tomlin has wireless earbuds in with transcendental meditation playing and they can't break through to him in time. I'm waiting for Tomlin to throw the challenge flag after we score a TD.

• Like Like x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That would be the one challenge that he would actually win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That picture doesn't show anything. The ball can't be advanced out of bounds. So even if Ben reached out, if the ball is across the sideline, it won't be counted. It has to be in bounds. That picture clearly shows the ball out of bounds, so it proves nothing

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If he hadn’t dropped the ball.

23. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I agree Tomlin must do a better job of challenging certain plays at key points in games moving forward this season. He is just not good at it at all and the Steelers need to be better at it overall. Hire 2 or 3 guys specifically that sit upstairs and will look at every close play that could be challenged if that what it takes. But like someone said before on here the Steelers have to clean up the bad challenges moving forward this year or it’s eventually gonna costs them big time.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not giving MT a pass on the challenge record. But don't you think he is getting bad advice in his headset? I mean, damn, hire one of these ex officials like Pereira that fox trots out there to sit at home and watch the film and buzz him to tell him when he should challenge vs when he should keep the flag in his pocket.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I dont think Tomlin is getting any advice from upstairs. I think he is one stubborn SOB. He goes by his gut on these things IMO. I wouldn't doubt if he has been told by coaches upstairs to challenge or not challenge a call, and then went with his gut anyways.