1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Asking for a “friend”

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Sep 25, 2020.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I know the first 2 games were close and we need wins and that is all that matters. I also know without a preseason Ben and the team needs all the reps they can get. However, because of Ben’s age and injury history would it not be wise to get your #2 QB a series or two in a game. Obviously the ideal situation would be in a blowout win, but Pittsburgh doesn’t seem to have those because they play down to the level of their opponents. I know this is the Pros and guys should be ready to go at all times and the #2 is getting reps in practice and did play a majority of the year last year and should be ready to go when called upon (ie Charlie Batch). My “friend” is just nervous about that blindside hit or scramble. Thoughts?

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You kind of answered your own question. I don't think Mason Rudolph getting a series or two in a game, is going to make him more prepared to step in for Ben. He prepares in practice, goes through all the offensive meetings, and is prepared to go in if needed.

Skill wise, a couple of series is not going to make a backup quarterback better. But during those couple of series that Ben is not in the game, skill wise, it makes the Steelers worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019

You can’t ever play scared or try to avoid injury during a game because unless you are a fortune teller there is no way to know what series could be an injury. The only way a backup gets in is a blowout either way.

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    At this point I think Ben needs the reps far more than Mason. Year out with injury to his throwing arm, new receivers and changes on the OLine etc. The offence is spotty and stop / start. I believe that they will get there but it’s not clicking right now.

If they can give Mason a few reps here and there when Ben is back to form then I’d have no objections, but now is not the time.

I have no doubt that Mason will get another chance at some point and I think he will be improved but personally I don’t think his ceiling is high enough to be the long term QB1. I hope he proves me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, we should get MR a series or two, at the end of the game, handing the ball off or taking a knee.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The question right now should be if Mason is the guy. Never mind him being in there for a series or two. For that matter, I hope that question has already been answered.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If the game is in hand that's when you let other guys get some work. That said, they have to take the first step of putting a team away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We should trade Mason for a 5th rounder while we still have the chance. Anymore exposure will be detrimental to both the Steelers & his value.

• Like Like x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What's the answer to that question (in your opinion)?

10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelersFanIrl.

Well said and Yes! I stated in another post that Ben is getting "re-acclimated" in a sense to several things: His elbow, re-building chemistry with the players that he has played with and building "new" chemistry with the the players he has never been with before: Claypool, Ebron, McFarland and even Diontae Johnson for a good part. And these are not back-ups per se folks. These "new" guys are starters for the most part or starting material. They are critical to our weapons chest. These new guys are in big part why I have been harping for months now that Fichtner has many, many quality "O" weapons to play with. He must make sure he gets it right. He does this by being creative and utilizing all of the "toys" in the "play chest".

Disappointingly so, Fichtner has not done this with McDonald and Ebron up to this point. These two are an extremely dynamic and formidable set of Tight End Bookends. I was concerned about this months ago. Not spreading it around. You do it to give the opposing defenses more than they can handle. Keep them guessing and equally important, to keep our guys involved and in turn making them happy.

Right now, I would question if both McDonald and Ebron are happy. I looked up, and posted, their statistics through the first two games in another thread. I am concerned. McDonald has a total of three catches and Ebron four. Unacceptable for the talent that these two bring to the table. Just "Disgusting" as I say around here. I hope he has a much bigger plan starting the next game to get both of them more heavily involved. Come on now Randy! Get it going! I know these two must be "itching". Do not waste a great thing right before your eyes.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben doesn't like leaving the game in any situation, he's said so himself. The only way Ben goes out of a game is if he's injured. Other than that, I don't see anyone else taking any snaps under center, except some wildcat nonsense or to take a knee, which I doubt will happen.
    Other than injury, when was the last time Ben got subbed out? (I think it may have happened in a blowout vs. the Panthers a couple seasons ago, at the very end of the game and I think it was Dobbs who came in. I could be wrong)

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Right now?! Too difficult to guess. No Pre Season means no evidence of improvement. Nothing good about Mason but nothing bad either.

That said, if the team is at North Dakota State against Central Arkansas, that answer will already sealed. There is a QB by the name of Trey Lance and I think you might like him too via a YouTube. Here he is below!

Trey Lance is someone I would definitely consider trading two 1s for. He has immense talent and potential. Just needs a year to sit down. Big Ben and Matt Canada can help him reach his ceiling quickly.

He has some young Big Ben in him. Mind you I said some.

• Like Like x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He looks great, that video is fun to watch. He reminds me of Randall Cunningham.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes, the question HAS been answered by Rudolph himself and it is an unequivocal hell to the nah.

15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    If you can't suck bad enough to get Trevor Lawrence then go for Trey Lance... LMAO.

Never heard of this kid and I'll take a look, but on the surface, I'm pretty skeptical. Steelers have been trying to find the diamond in the rough for many years now and look at every QB they have drafted in the last 10 years. It is a big platoon of practice squad rejects with most of them not even in the league. The steelers have pretty much wasted every draft pick on a QB in the past 10 years.

They should have gotten serious 3-5 years ago. But maybe the FO and owners are nostalgic for the 80s cause that is where we are headed at the QB position.

<edit> just watched the video. He does seem to have some skills playing against junior high teams. There are tons of guys like this at junior college and d2 level. Heck, I just watched a sophomore at a local HS rush for 342 yds, 6 TDs on 42 carries Thursday night. He did it against a winless and pretty crappy competition. Not to take anything away from the kid. I'm just saying we should wait to crown him all world until he can do it against the best competition and consistently.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ben is the starter and should play every down in every game unless they are well ahead with game in hand, he gets injured during game or flat out is having a bad game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    It would have to REALLY bad to go to the bench. I don't ever want to see deer, dobbs, or duck on the field in a game that counts ever again. The killer D's spell DOOM for the steelers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No and no. Didn't Chicago give a ton to get who they thought was a great QB in Tribiski? Didn't Wentz come from around there and how is he doing lately? If this kid was that good why is he playing where he is? Not saying he is bad or can't make it in the NFL, but results in lower level NCAA doesn't always indicate success at the NFL, period. Besides, if you are noticing him, don't you think NFL talent scouts have also by now? When I read you wanted to give a couple of #1 picks for a D2 player, I wasn't sure you were serious or just emphasizing how much you liked him.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I mean, we really will not know what any NFL team thinks of him until October 3rd. Keep in mind that FCS Scheduling just returned. We will have to wait and see about him.

In addition, great QBs can come from anywhere. Keep in mind Big Ben was not heavily recruited out of High School either. Besides, I did say he should sit down. Not once did I say he should start out of the gate.

If not him, Kyle Trask is another one I would consider.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The year the Raiders were something like 12-3 and Playoff seed was in the bag they left their QB in the game. I think it was the 4th quarter of meaningless game and he suffered a season ending injury. That is the one time a team should have used the back-up. It is the only time you see the use of a back-up if starting QB is OK.

I too have thought teams should do what OP suggested but it just don't happen. My friend suggest it's because the starting QB needs to add to his numbers so at contract time he has more leverage.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Add KJ Costello to the list. I initially thought he was going to be in the 2020 NFL Draft. I had him rated at number 3 before announcing his transfer. A good season in the SEC should assist in his draft stock.

I can say this. There are some good options in the upcoming 2021 Draft Class thus far. Let us hope the likes of Trask, Costello and others keep it up. Still hoping for Lance but the former two would be just as fine for me.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Mason Jagoff got his turn and sucked. Dobbs needs to get some burn if the opportunity presents itself. But it never will because this coached team never blows out inferior opponents.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    I know that his batting average is not 100% but this guy has been around for a while. Furthermore, he knows talent when he sees it.

An over exaggeration?! Possibly. That said, very seldom does Gil rave about a prospect.

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    This offense is/was built around Ben. Pouncey only likes Ben's hands near his junk. There isn't a qb out there who can command this offense like Ben does. So it's going to be damn near impossible for anyone to step in for Ben and do really well. Ben's replacement won't do well until the offense changes away from the Ben version. That will take personnel and philosophical changes...and time.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lance went to the same college as Carson Wentz, who was a #2 pick in the draft.