1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

T.J. May Be The Best Edge Defender In The NFL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    According to PPF.

Last week, T.J. Watt had a dominant showing against the Giants, producing a 93.7 PFF grade for the game and winning the PFF Week 1 Defensive MVP. This week, he had yet another incredible game by producing a 91.2 PFF grade and 38% pass-rush win rate, nearly 10 percentage points higher than any other edge rusher during Week 2. This was Watt’s 11th regular-season game since 2018 in which he posted a PFF grade north of 80.0. That’s the most at the position in that span by four (the Bosa brothers are tied for second with seven each). His speed rip gave Denver’s tackles fits all game. We’ve become accustomed to naming players like his brother, J.J. Watt, or Khalil Mack or Von Miller as the best edge rusher in the NFL, but I think T.J. is separating himself from the pack and becoming the best.

upload_2020-9-22_0-13-54.gif

https://media.pff.com/2020/09/TJ-Watt-Steelers-2.gif

• Like Like x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    May be?!

I will go as far as to say he is the most complete EDGE Defender in the game. Myles Garrett possess far superior athletic ability, Joey Bosa is far more technically advanced and Chandler Jones has greater length and power. All that said, none of them possess great levels of each the way TJ Watt does.

This is not accounting for his abilities in coverage; something NFL Teams are FINALLY catching on after seeing the Steelers do it since 2000. EDGE Defenders need to be more than just one trick ponies. They need to perform multiple roles. T.J. Watt is the NFL's premier archetype for this new Era.

Even accounting for all of that though, TJ Watt has two skills no other EDGE Defender possess; instincts and an unbreakable will. Both of those are essential for any Hall of Fame Pass Rusher. T.J. Watt is on the right track. Since 2017, no other EDGE Defender has forced more fumbles than TJ; Chandler Jones a close second with 13. For that matter, among his 2017 draft classmates, Myles Garrett is the next closest one at 7 currently.

Once again, I repeat, you were right about him Blast! Thank God I was 100% dead wrong on Obi Melifonwu. That would have been a DISASTER!!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    One more golden nugget I forgot!!

One is a future Hall of Famer. Pretty good company to be in I would say! :herewego:

• Like Like x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Watt is right below those 2 mentioned, he’s really damn good.

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    What about cam Jordan, chandler Jones, zadarius smith on that list?

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'll go one further. It's because of TJ that DuPree finally is hitting his stride. Together they are giving QB's fits and creating turnovers.

7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Looking back at the 2017 draft TJ Watt is probably a top 6 pick and that was an incredible draft. Mahommes would be #1, then you have Garrett, Josh Adams, McCaffrey, Watson, and TJ. There are a bunch of other very good players in that draft as well.

8. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    He is at this juncture. Every big-time stat backs that up.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If he has too good of a season, the Steelers might not be able to re-sign him :hehehe:.